Dartmouth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glamqueen

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Dartmouth? What stats do they look for? Do they accept anyone from outside the New England area, because on mdapplicants...it doesn't hardly look like it unless you are downright flawless...Do people like it there? What is it known for?

Just curious what info people have on it...

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to Dartmouth this year (and I interviewed on the last day so don't worry if you get a later interview date, it's not just for waitlist spots). My GPA is 4.0, 33 MCAT, hailing from a no-wheresville school that was not located in the New England region. I am hardly flawless and took time off to work after undergrad. I thought the whole application and interview was stress-free. The student body seems very happy (I saw the extent to which this was true at second look). Reviewing the potential incoming class list I didn't think that they were too biased towards New Englanders. There's a lot of people from CA, TX, etc. They have a very strong program for U.S. health policy. If you are interested in international health their program is fledgling--at best. These were just my impressions from a couple of visits.

Wow...should I not even try with a 3.6 then? Columbia tops my list right now, but Dartmouth is a close second...I would do almost anything to remedy to mistakes of my early college and go to either school over my state school, but I'm just not sure I can compete with the 4.0's, although I am prepared to work my ass off and get a good MCAT...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to Dartmouth this year (and I interviewed on the last day so don't worry if you get a later interview date, it's not just for waitlist spots). My GPA is 4.0, 33 MCAT, hailing from a no-wheresville school that was not located in the New England region. I am hardly flawless and took time off to work after undergrad. I thought the whole application and interview was stress-free. The student body seems very happy (I saw the extent to which this was true at second look). Reviewing the potential incoming class list I didn't think that they were too biased towards New Englanders. There's a lot of people from CA, TX, etc. They have a very strong program for U.S. health policy. If you are interested in international health their program is fledgling--at best. These were just my impressions from a couple of visits.

Oh snap, you went to the visiting days. That means that you'll be able to identify me. I guess I'll have to be on the best behaviour here......I got in to DMS and I certainly didn't have a super-star record. I had 30 MCAT and 3.75 GPA at Oregon State (not a top-notch school) doing Biochemistry and Biophysics. I can only speak from my experience and watching who they accept, so take that disclaimer. DMS seems to focus on everything else about the app. They want the person who does a lot in a given field. Some people were dancers - they ran a dance group that toured around the northeast. Some people were scholars and had amazing stats. Some people were former healthcare workers (medics, firefighters, etc). Some people did research. The numbers get them to look at you, the other stuff gets them to interview you. The non-traditional personal statement sits well with them. No real preference or discrimination against NE-ers. They have a slight preference for Dartmouth grads, but that's for interviews only. Don't worry about being wait-listed - they pull people off the list regularly. Why? Some people don't want to live in the greater Hanover-Leb-West Leb area with a population of 30k. I agree that the program is strong in policy. Kerry and others were here in Lebanon last summer to talk healthcare reform. Hillary is expected to be here some time in the future as well. International health at DMS is as good as any other place, but it's focused on Africa (which could be good or bad depending on whether or not you like Africa). Quick downsides of DMS - DMS facilities for the first two years are a little old. Quick upsides - brand new hospital (less than 15 yrs old), including lots of cool toys that I wouldn't have access to at other schools. Close to the mtns and lots of stuff to do outside of medical school (for example, I went to see Wynton Marsalis in concert at DC for 5 bucks a ticket).