dat 7/21

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cocokeala

katonk!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay i took my dat today and i dont know how to feel...

bio 16
gchem 23
ochem 25
pat 18
rc 22
qr 16

as you can see i didnt do too well in bio and qr which is weird because bio was always my highest on all my practice tests...

my ts is still 20 and aa is still 20 but idk what to do.. retake?

i took kaplan class and did topscore.
averages for topscore:
bio 18
cgen 18
ochem 18
rc 21
qr 21
pat 20

Members don't see this ad.

Well, ur QR and Bio is a little bit low, but 20/20/18 is not a bad score at all.

About retaking, I probably wont~

I wouldn't retake it. But just be ready for a question during interviews like...so I see you did pretty well on the DAT overall, but why do you think your biology score was so much lower than the others? Just have a decent answer prepared.

cocokeala said:

bio 16
gchem 23
ochem 25
pat 18
rc 22
qr 16

as you can see i didnt do too well in bio and qr which is weird because bio was always my highest on all my practice tests...

averages for topscore:
bio 18
cgen 18
ochem 18
rc 21
qr 21
pat 20
Hey, anything stick out from that dat bio section that was way out of left field or that you should have maybe put more emphasis on while studying?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't mean to be too nosy, but what's your science GPA, and grades in your bio classes?

you know, i really have NO idea what happened in bio. i definetly knew bio better than gchem or ochem and i always did well in it even in my grades. i read the entire kaplan book and i studied all the topscore tests and kaplan bio questions. yeah i really have no idea i thought about it all the way home lol. i think the biggest thing was just the shock of sitting down to begin the test. also there were a lot of words in the bio section that werent in the kaplan bio book so idk! also i got the cheetah question lol!

haha hipster. to be honest my gpa is only average. i get high grades in bio but i've always had a bit of trouble with chem and ochem. and my dat scores are exactly opposite! i dont know what is going on with this worlddddddd!

cocokeala said:
haha hipster. to be honest my gpa is only average. i get high grades in bio but i've always had a bit of trouble with chem and ochem. and my dat scores are exactly opposite! i dont know what is going on with this worlddddddd!

The reason I asked is because I've done much better in my chem classes compared to my bio and didn't want that affecting my upcoming dat scores. It is pretty weird that your scores worked out that way, but I think you still have good enough scores to get in.

that is really wierd. your practice scores indicate that you should have been fine with the bio and Qr on the real thing but i guess its just goes to show you that you should have no expectations since this test is so highly unpredictable.

those are awesome scores man you will get in!! Schools look at your averages mainly prolly TS and PAT. Their not gonna look at each tiny thing and reject you based on a few average scores. Congrats

cocokeala said:
you know, i really have NO idea what happened in bio. i definetly knew bio better than gchem or ochem and i always did well in it even in my grades. i read the entire kaplan book and i studied all the topscore tests and kaplan bio questions. yeah i really have no idea i thought about it all the way home lol. i think the biggest thing was just the shock of sitting down to begin the test. also there were a lot of words in the bio section that werent in the kaplan bio book so idk! also i got the cheetah question lol!

I have naver taken the actual test, but most people say there are bunch of bio questions that are not in kaplan review book. or may be the wording is kinda different on the actual test and that's why people think thats something they have never seen before. and also i heard that some questions are kinda long or too much in detail of biochem stuff.
retake it only if you think 100% you are going to beat those scores

good job
cocokeala said:

bio 16
gchem 23
ochem 25
pat 18
rc 22
qr 16

averages for topscore:
bio 18
cgen 18
ochem 18
rc 21
qr 21
pat 20

hmmm. topscore's gchem and ochem were more accurate to the real test. honestly i kinda freaked out about ochem and gchem a couple days before the dat because i was studying kaplan tests and they kept tricking me. its not really that tricky on the real thing.

bio....yes although i read the stupid kaplan book twice and did fine on all my practice exams and got good grades in bio, a lot of the stuff on the dat i didnt really recognize. the types of questions were things that we should know, like enzymes but the questions had an emphasis on a different aspect of that subject. HOW MANY TIMES have we gotten questions on the lock and key theory or the induced fit theory of enzymes? practice tests always ask you the same topics, the same aspect of the same topic. but on the test they ask things that you ideally should know if you read the kaplan book, but they havent been all that reinforced in your mind because the practice tests didnt emphasize them. idk if you really know hwat i mean. i think that my problem was that i saw so many of the same types of questions when i did the practice tests the last week of studying that i didnt really bother to remember all that stuff that i read in the book. so yes that is how i analyze my bio score because i dont know how else to.

i always had a problem with reading comp. if you look at my past posts hehe i kept running out of time. what i did was the kaplan roadmap, but really really condensed. so i would write 1.) and write the key words of the FIRSt sentence only. i fully read the first sentence (topic sentence) in each paragraph without being in a rush to get an understanding of what was going on. then i looked at the questions. my topics were.....hypothalamus, stocks, and something about parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system. they were pretty easy. kaplan teaches you to write a lot of keywords etc etc but that takes way too long. just read the first sentence, write those keywords, and if you feel cool then as you scroll down write some names of people or dates down. the rest you will be able to find or just guess.

math....dont underestimate the time! i was doing fine and i was halfway through with half of my time left. and then BOOM i was hit with so many wordproblems near the end. yes that was my downfall.

anywayssssss
thanks for listening to me and giving me advice guys. you guys seriously kept me sane these last weeks!!

something silimiar happen to me as well..
i did well on bio on my practice tests but bio was my worst score on the dat..

i think bio is def trickier..

but i wouldnt retake the dat.. you did great! =) now go play!

Yea dont retake it if you AA is good i mean u just gotta explain what when up with bio and qr

what would u suggest be the best way to study for the bio part of the DAT? cuz even on my practice tests my bio is the highest out of my natural sciences..

heh i honestly dont know how else i could have studied for the bio part or could have known that the amount i studied wasn't sufficient. there was no signal from any of my practice tests so i was caught off guard. i guess waht everyone says is right. dont trust your practice tests or use them as a measure of how you will really do. just take them and use them as a learning tool. again, i never got over 21 on gchem or ochem. my scores were actually decreasing with each kaplan test lol. my bio scores only increased. so tricky!

supplement your kaplan stuff with schuams. Kaplan leaves a lotta little thing out and schuams is good cuz filling all that stuff and understanding the material better

i got a b and b+ in bio and was getting 19's on topscore, and got a 22 on the real one

i supplemented with schuams bio for taxonomy and plants. theres a lot of stuff in there tahts not in the kaplans