Dat 7/5/ 11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tms86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took the DAT today, don't know if I should retake it

PAT: 22
QR: 17
RC: 17

Bio: 16
Chem: 18
Orgo: 23

Sci: 19
AA: 18

I studied so much and was scoring 20 in Bio and 19-22 in RC on practice tests. I was really nervous and messed up on bio which made me rush through chemistry. I have 3.7 GPA and 3.7 science GPA. I really don't know what to do- I believe if I took it again I would improve, and I would be less nervous but I don't know if I should wait so long to retake it.

My application is pretty much complete- Do I have a good shot applying with these scores?

Please help!

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

You should contact some schools and speak to Admissions Officers directly and hear what they recommend.

The good part is you have a high GPA meaning it won't require such a high DAT score.

I'm not an Admissions Officer, but IMO your score is a tad bit low. I would retake it.

You have an extremely good GPA, which is to your advantage.

But your Bio score will raise some doubts on whether you can retain bio knowledge in dental school.

Like Dschool posted, I would recommend contacting the dental schools you're interested in and ask them how a low Bio score would affect your application.

I would retake if I were you, but at least this time you will be more comfortable with the surroundings. Good luck!

The more I think about it, the more I want to take it and at least prove to myself that I can get the scores I have been getting- couldn't hurt right? Im just really upset because I know I have it in me I major in Biology and I am good at it! I don't know what happened.. Along with my good GPA I have done multiple internships, research and have amazing letter of recommendations if only i had a few points higher, I would feel much more confident. How long do I have to wait to retake it? Is it at least 3 months? If so, is october very late?

thanks for replying hope to hear from more!

I think you should retake. Just apply right now and after 3 months take it again. You can resubmit your scores again. Don't make the mistake of not retaking it. I made that mistake and recently I retook my DAT and scored much better compared to first time..