DAT advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MsPurtell

Hi everyone. I need your input. I'm scheduled to tak ethe DAT this Saturday. I've been practicing with TopScore Pro and am doing great on the PAT, reading and quantitative (scores low to mid 20s). The science however is substantailly lower. On the last TopScore Pro test I took this past weekend I got 17s on the bio and orgo! I've heard that TopScore is harder than the real thing, so do you think it's possible I'll get 19s or so on the sections I'm not doing so great on? I really want to do well on this test - I'm studying like mad every night after work!! I'm afraid though of putting this off too long - the rest of my app is out. Thanks a lot for any and all input. :(

Members don't see this ad.

hi.. i've heard the same thing about topscore too.. (that it was harder than the actual thing) also.. if you can.. try to get ahold of some of kaplan's science materials... i'm taking the course right now, and my dat teacher told me the science for kaplan is much harder than actual dat's. (he scored 18, 19 w/ kaplan and scored 22 on dat)
i'm taking the test in mid-september and i still have lots to prepare for =)
good luck this saturday!!!

i forgot to ask you... any advice for the pat section? especially the pattern folding....
and if you don't mind me asking, how many hours did you study for the pat section? i would definitely love to have your pat scores =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's how I studied.

I think I may have gone overboard with my studying, but ultimately, I think it definitely helped a great deal. I used MCAT study materials to prepare for all my DAT sections (duh.....except for the PAT). I figured I would get a good score if I REALLY went crazy over-board with the studying....hehe :D For some of the science sections that the MCAT didnt really prepare me for, I borrowed a Kaplan DAT book from my friend and reviewed it a few days prior to the DAT.

As for the PAT section, I just took practice tests like mad. I was always into architecture, so I took many drafting courses in high school as well as college (i thought i wanted to be an architect or some kind of designer).....good thing this "spatial orientation" skill came to some good use in the DAT... :D One good way to study for this section is to visually practice spacial oreintation of various 3d objects. Look at your monitor now and imagine it unfold, etc.

One trick that I used when I was taking the PAT section of the REAL DAT.

1) rip off a corner of the scratch paper
2) fold it in half so it has a perfect 45 degree angle

Now you have something that you can hold up to the computer screen for the angle comparison section!! For smaller angles, just fold the little piece of "corner paper" to smaller angles! This section is always easier if there is a reference. :D

Disclaimer: I do not know if this is considered cheating, but when I was using this "system" at the testing center, I was not caught. :D

All in all....i think this system really paid off for me. I received 21 ACAD and 23 PAT......i did receive 18 on my bio section tho....(dont ask me...i dont know what happened either :rolleyes: )

Ms Purtell, I wish you good luck with your DAT this week! Tell us how you do!

Thanks for the advice. I've done a test off the Kaplan CD and did well on the science. Is that the same as what they give in the Kaplan course?

I find pattern folding fairly easy. I'm not sure why. Take it a step at a time, mentally folding the pattern and then check against each answer. Note the position particularly of odd shapes and patterns - its somehow easier to figure out where they should be in the final assembled pattern. Hope that helps.