DAT and number of schools to apply too?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reupena

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At what year of my undergrad should I take my DAT, and when and how many Dental schools should I apply too?

Members don't see this ad.

Take the DAT in your junior year or when u have finished taking those courses covered in the DAT ( orgo 1 & 2, gen chem 1 & 2, bio) so they're still fresh in ur mind when u take ur test. U should start getting ur recommendations and personal statement ready as well since u will be applying the summer after ur junior year. The number of schools u should apply depends on ur GPA and ur DAT, but in my opinion apply to as many schools as it is financially possible and be smart (make sure ur not applying to schools that accept 10% OOS if ur OOS, etc). Make sure u get everything ready early so u can send in the application early June/July.

At what year of my undergrad should I take my DAT, and when and how many Dental schools should I apply too?

Great post! I have been in the same boat as you on when to take the DAT! Come on people more info!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You should take the DAT during the SPRING of Junior year, so that your application will include your DAT scores, which open during 1st week of June. Apply to a good amount of mid-schools (GPAs and DATs that are equal to yours), and a couple of safeties and a couple of reach. Obviously you must consider a lot of factors, which include cost, location, friendliness to out of state students, facilities, structure of curriculum, etc.

Take the DAT directly after your have taken all the pre-reqs needed for the test. Technically you could take it the summer after your sophomore year after completing Bio 1/2, Chem 1/2, Ochem 1/2. You do not need physics for the DAT, but having a basic knowledge of algebra and trigonometry would not hurt in the math portion. Some people say taking upper level Bio classes help on the DAT but I only had the basic listed above and scored pretty well...

I would highly suggest to always take the DAT of the summer when you have no other distractions from school. Trust me when I say it is hard to go to school all day, do homework etc., and then try and study reading comp all night. If you take the DAT over the summer in say late June, early July and apply during that same time period your application will still be considered early.

Your school list will change based on your DAT score, GPA etc. A higher DAT (21+) and GPA (3.75+) should apply to 6-8 schools. An 'average' applicant with a DAT of 19-20 and GPA of 3.4-3.6 should apply to 12-15. The key is to apply smartly to schools that accept students from your state and statistic level. Get the ADEA applicant book and look over what the schools want, and who they historically accept. It will save you money and time!!