DAT: Apply or Retake Again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

User82746

Reaction score
Hi, so I just took my DAT again and my scores differed from the first time I took it; both good and bad and I don't know how to feel about it.

My first DAT I got:
PA - 18
QR - 20
RC - 16
Bio - 19
GC - 25
OChem - 21
TS - 21
AA - 20

And my second time I got:
PA - 17
QR - 22
RC - 21
Bio - 20
GC - 21
Ochem - 17
TS - 19
AA - 20

The reason I took my DAT again was because I got a 16 on RC the first time and I heard some schools have cutoffs of 17 for all sections, but when I retook it my GC and Ochem scores dropped by 4 points and my PA scored dropped by one point. On the other hand, my QR, RC, and Bio scores went up. Is it worth taking the DAT again or should I just apply with the scores I have? Do I even have a chance of getting into any dental schools or did I just shoot myself in the foot by taking the DAT again? For more context, I have a 3.61 overall GPA, 3.51 science GPA, have 100+ hours of shadowing, do research and working on a few publications, have a lot of volunteer hours, and dance on the side. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, so I just took my DAT again and my scores differed from the first time I took it; both good and bad and I don't know how to feel about it.

My first DAT I got:
PA - 18
QR - 20
RC - 16
Bio - 19
GC - 25
OChem - 21
TS - 21
AA - 20

And my second time I got:
PA - 17
QR - 22
RC - 21
Bio - 20
GC - 21
Ochem - 17
TS - 19
AA - 20

The reason I took my DAT again was because I got a 16 on RC the first time and I heard some schools have cutoffs of 17 for all sections, but when I retook it my GC and Ochem scores dropped by 4 points and my PA scored dropped by one point. On the other hand, my QR, RC, and Bio scores went up. Is it worth taking the DAT again or should I just apply with the scores I have? Do I even have a chance of getting into any dental schools or did I just shoot myself in the foot by taking the DAT again? For more context, I have a 3.61 overall GPA, 3.51 science GPA, have 100+ hours of shadowing, do research and working on a few publications, have a lot of volunteer hours, and dance on the side. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Hi, thanks for your post and you are not alone I am sure. I have worked with students many years and all kinds or situations have been presented and scoring lower the 2nd time than the first is not uncommon. Why, because there are different versions of the DAT and you were presented different questions on round 2 in Orgo that perhaps hit on more of your weaknesses, but who knows.

Overall I think your scores are fine, but you should be prepared on an interview if you are asked about why you went up in some subjects and down in others.

I think you have an excellent chance for interviews with your scores and GPA, etc. Make sure you have a VERY strong personal statement, that is the door opener to the interview.

Not sure where you are applying and that schools criteria, but that is another factor to consider. When in doubt contact the school directly with your situation.

If you can not get into your dream school with these scores,then you might have to take it again, but IMO I do not think a retake should be necessary for many schools.

Hope this helps and if I can help any further let me know.

Nancy, co/owner, DAT Destroyer