joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
I heard that they give u scenario and want you to analyze it instead of straight forward questions like kaplan and destroyer have.

Does this mean the actual DAT is closer to MCAT bio?
How come all the DAT study aid quiz u something that is so straight forward and obvious instead of giving you thought questions?

Jun 19, 2009
Status
More BS being blown out of proportion.....

It's not that bad and it's nowhere close to being like the MCAT.

OP
joonkimdds

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
No, DAT bio is for the most part incredibly straight forward, I had a question that was literally "Which of these is a eukaryote?"
Hm...but I heard from so many people that it was almost never straight forward.

By the way, that question is hard....which of these is eukaryotes...hm... i know that bacteria and e.coli are prokaryotes...i don't know what else could be prokaryotes XD.

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student
I heard that they give u scenario and want you to analyze it instead of straight forward questions like kaplan and destroyer have.

Does this mean the actual DAT is closer to MCAT bio?
How come all the DAT study aid quiz u something that is so straight forward and obvious instead of giving you thought questions?
Whoever told you this probably wanted to mess with you. The majority of questions are straight forward questions, and depending on the version of the test you get you might see couple of questions on topics that you might have not encountered before, and that's simply because biology is such a broad topic that no matter how much you study there will still be topics that you haven't covered.

sugarsting

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
It's all straightforward facts. Having an understanding of biological logic won't help. Just memorize your general bio textbook.

krazchikin

10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
actually, there are a couple of questions that require application...i forget what I got, but surely bio logic can only help you....

lazybummy

5+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I think my "hard" questions came from application (scenario). Mostly pretty straight forward tho! Good luck!

PrivateJoker

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2009
Status
Are Biology majors finding the BIO section hard or is it just non-bio majors?

Also are the questions similar to Destroyer in terms of detail and difficulty?

sketo43

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I don't think there were any "application" questions on my DAT, which I took about a week ago. The questions were all the type where you either know it or you don't - there's no need to think about it for very long. But obviously, different tests are different.

I'm a non-bio major, and I found the bio section slightly easier than Topscore

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
Hm...but I heard from so many people that it was almost never straight forward.

By the way, that question is hard....which of these is eukaryotes...hm... i know that bacteria and e.coli are prokaryotes...i don't know what else could be prokaryotes XD.
No, the way the choices were it was like 4 obviously non-eukaryotes like a viris, a bacteria, something elses, and then earthworm.

Jun 19, 2009
Status
More than 80% of the Bio consists of stand alone questions....

The few "application" questions are not even close to being like the MCAT; the MCAT is for the most part passage based and thus, any comparison is ridiculous.

Every single one these complaints comes from people who had no clue and thus are over exaggerating, or people who are full of BS.

May 15, 2009
CA
Status
Dental Student

The few "application" questions are not even close to being like the MCAT; the MCAT is for the most part passage based and thus, any comparison is ridiculous.

Every single one these complaints comes from people who had no clue and thus are over exaggerating, or people who are full of BS.
^^Agreed^^

ozzie33

10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental

The one "application" question I had was pretty much word for word off my genetics final, only they did the tough part for you haha. In fact, all of the questions seemed like they could have been on a general biology exam, not sure where these "scenarios" are coming from