DAT: Bio Section

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by dmd1272, Mar 4, 2002.

1. dmd1272

dmd1272 Member

I heard that this section stressed more taxonomy than human physiology, for those of you that have arleady taken the DAT, would you guys agree with this statement... :D

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. waiting

waiting Senior Member

4. sanara

sanara Member

yup very true and who knew they expected you to know anatomy.

5. UofM01

UofM01 Senior Member

It really depends on the version that you get when your day comes. I have friends who said there was more of one thing compared to another on their exam but when I went to take it ...it was not the same for me. They change the exams frequently so you cannot just go by what others have said. Get a good knowledge of everything that way you are more confident with yourself and your not hoping for certain questions to not show up. Good Luck!

6. DMD DOC

DMD DOC Senior Member

I had very little taxonomy on the exam. The stuff that was on the exam was about flat worms, I probably missed all those questions and still came out with a 23 in the bio section. Hope this helps, don't sweat it too much, just know the basics.

- Vikas

7. smile_doctor

smile_doctor Senior Member

UofM01 and Vikas are right. When I took the DAT several years ago, my bio section contained alot of genetics, and little taxonomy. I'm taking the DAT again this spring in order to apply for the 2003 entering cycle and am covering everything in the Kaplan review guide (available in book stores).

8. dmd1272

dmd1272 Member

thanks guys, I'll certainly follow those great tips....has anyone tried examkrackers :D

9. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member

What are examkrackers?

T

10. dmd1272

dmd1272 Member

Examkrackers are a series of books that are geared for the MCAT but as you know all sciences on the DAT are the same except Physics, I got their Audio Osmosis CD series and all books except Physics and TinkerBell, its amazing, we've all been there in undergrad taking all the sciences and these cd's give you all the information in a very entertaining way...checkout their site at examkrackers.com....I also got the Kaplan DAT book to just to have the PAT practice and explanations but the way Kaplan reviews their science is just too dry and boring, all methodical,
    examkrackers makes it interesting and its damn funny and catchy...also they have a bulletin kind of like this and if you have any ? on a problem, they'll respond back to you(I've tried it already)I figured it cheaper than Kaplan, and if I complement it with Topscore,Kaplan Dat book/cd, and Examkrackers I should be ok...the cool thing about the cd's is that you can take them anywhere
    and they're all broken down into lectures...I hear them in my car on the way to and from work and you do relearn all science stuff. I called them and their coming out with a DAT book sometime in June, I'll probably get it too, we'll see, I preparing to take the DAT sometime in early July, just in case I have to retake 90days after... How about you ? :D

11. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member

hi dmd!

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. I'm preparing for late July or even early August test. Hopefully I'll be ready by then. If you have any tips, keep on posting.
    Yeah, the cd sounds wonderful. Especially I have to commute every day.
    T

12. vixen

vixen I like members

hey,

I think when we finish taking our DAT's, we should post our opinions on here...what we expected and what actually happened...I think it would be beneficial for others.

13. Dr. Pedo

Dr. Pedo Senior Member

Hi
    I'm wrapping-up my first year. A couple things: First, don't worry about the DAT so much! If it matters, I received a 21 on Bio. and didn't study one thing on Tax. bottom-line is----if you don't know the normal important info, then the 3 question on Tax. will kill you! But, YOU WILL BE FINE!!!!!!!! Study what is obvious and you will do ok. DON'T skip over the Tax/zoology section in studying, but don't make it your main issue.

I feel if you are competitive (3.4+ gpa), well-rounded, with good DAT scores 19/19+ you'll be alright. 85% of the dental schools would love to have you. The other 15% want more. In the West; UCLA, UCSF, ect..---the East; Columbia, Harvard, UNC, ect..----the midwest; Iowa, Michigan, ect...----their avg gpa is 3.5+ and most want someone with research experience.

Personally, find an economic school that is close to your support system and apply. Specialties or research can be done at nearly every school provided you are in the top 20% of your class. If you need me to explain the above statement please ask.

Good Luck,
    RRB