DAT Breakdown 06/29/15 for the AVERAGE student(s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SenoritaKorea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I wanted to preface this posting by telling you that I am NOT, nor have I ever been, an exceptional student. This post is for those in my position who are not very confident, but will work incredibly hard and do what it takes to perform well on this test! You can do it!

Actual DAT scores:
BIO: 23
GC: 21
OC: 26
PAT: 23
RC: 24
QR: 21
AA: 23

Bootcamp Scores:
Test#: bio/gc/oc/pat/rc/qr
Test 1: 20/16/17/19/x/x (didn't take RC or QR for some reason?)
Test 2: 19/18/16/19/19/19
Test 3: 15/20/16/19/18/17
Test 4: 18/18/21/18/x/17
Test 5: 22/18/20/18/21/18

Crack DAT Scores:
Science: 18/18/17/18/15/15/18/18/17/18
PAT: 16/16/18/18/20/21/18/19/21
RC: 17/21/19/17/20/23/21
QR: 18/18/18/18/19/19/20/20/17/21/20/18

List of resources (in the order I found them most helpful):
Chad's Videos (+Quizzes), Cliff's AP Bio, DAT Bootcamp, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, CrackDAT (I got the Royal Flush verson), Feralis Notes (and flashcards found here: https://quizlet.com/38689906/feralis-bio-notes-flash-cards/), Alan's Notes, and of course YOU, the SDN community! I don't know what I'll do with my time now that I won't be obsessively lurking all of your amazing posts!

Materials I would suggest investing in:
Notebooks, Flashcards, whiteboard + dry erase markers (for beginning phase of studying), laminated sheets and wet erase markers (for end game phase of studying--you will not be able to erase your work at the testing center), and MOST IMPORTANT: Papermate fine tip markers in the 16 pack. They sell these at any Target.

Background on me (skip this unless you want a pep talk):
I think this is important to include, because I hope that this drives home the point that anything is possible if you're willing to work VERY hard for this test! I am a Korean adoptee from a very small town in Virginia. My early life was made quite difficult with problems with racial bullying, poverty, violence in my family, which all created a perfect storm ending with me graduating from high school with a 1.8 GPA, and absolutely no skills. I read at a 7th-8th grade level, I could not add/subtract simple fractions, and I did not have any plans to go to college. I was too broken.
When I had nowhere else to turn, I chose to do Nursing at a school in Indiana. I moved to Indiana for a boyfriend, but it ended up being a life-changing move. I worked incredibly hard in my nursing program, and realized that Math and Science were no longer a burden for me if I really WANTED to do well. I then decided to switch my major to Biology to do Pre-med. I worked my way from remedial math and English classes (I took "Algebra Review", Int. Algebra, College algebra, pre-calc, Calc). I still want to mention that I was still NOT a brilliant student. My GPA was not incredible, and I always felt pressure in every class. If you have felt this way, you are not alone. Please keep your head up!
When I left Indiana, I decided to do Teach For America. I was so passionate about this move because education absolutely changed my life. I wanted to meet, teach, and support children who came from a similar background as me. I taught 8th grade Math and Science in East Oakland, and it was, again, a life-changing experience.
During that time, I got to know the needs of the communities I worked in, and I realized basic healthcare like dentistry was severely lacking (I worked with a 1st grade student who had never owned a toothbrush). After this, I was on FIRE to be a healthcare provider in this community. I am currently a dental assistant in a low-income clinic in San Francisco.

How I studied (by resource):
I gave myself a lot of time. At first, I scheduled my exam to be in September and planned to take the test the summer after I stopped teaching. I tried to do Ari's study plan, but this was obviously beyond my skills. I was also limited because I work full time. I also slowed things down even more because it's been 7-8 years since I had taken my chemistry series.

Chad's Videos:
Hands down, the most important resource there is. When I was researching study materials, I couldn't find a bad review for Chad. He's just an incredible teacher, and I actually think I know more about Chemistry than I ever did before. I watched his videos at 3 critical stages:
First Time: Just reviewing, taking careful notes, and doing the quizzes. This is a necessary step.
Second Time: After going through DAT Destroyer the 1st time.
Third Time: I watched all the videos in 1 week at 2.5x's speed. I was able to watch all the chemistry videos in 1 week this way, and it REALLY drove home everything I needed to know for the DAT. Some of the questions I encountered on DAT, I could literally hear Chad's voice telling me what to do. Seriously, the videos are that good.

HOW TO MOST EFFECTIVELY USE DAT/MATH DESTROYER!!!!:
Okay, this is going to sound like a plug for Destroyer, but I SWEAR to you.... doing practice problems is EVERYTHING for DAT. And I'm not talking about just chugging through for the sake of completion, I mean MEANINGFULLY, and METHODICALLY going through this book is going to be TANTAMOUNT. If there is a "secret" here, it's this:
First time: I went through Destroyer literally 8 problems at a time in each section (13 problems at a time in Math Destroyer. I went through it slowly because I wanted to do the problems, understand the questions, and review them. On days I didn't work, sure, I did the full set of 30. I took careful notes on the ones I got wrong.
Second time (THIS WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT): I color-coded ALL the questions I still got wrong by CONCEPT. Example: Stoich problems I did in red. Acid/Bases I did in green. Periodic Trends I did in purple. Here's the thing: when you go through DAT destoyer, there's SO many problems, you aren't going to make good connections if you're not attacking these with a plan. Once I completed DAT/Math Destroyer this way, I went through my INCORRECT responses (which were literally half or more of the questions, don't freak out about this), I got ANOTHER notebook, and (still using the same colors), I grouped all of the questions I got incorrect together by concept.
Once I had these together, I went through them, and watched Chad's videos that were associated with that problem group. THIS is how you're going to learn the material! If there was anything that was the most important part of my study plan, this was it!

Crack DAT:
This was useful for me. It was my first experience taking all the tests together in 1 sitting to simulate testing conditions. I started taking practice tests the 1st day of June (my test date was June 29). I would say PAT was more similar in difficulty to Crack DAT, same with QR. Seriously, please don't waste your time with the science sections. RC was also pretty on par with Crack DAT as far as density of the passages. I didn't use any particular methods for RC; I just read the passages to completion and did some weird variation of search and destroy. I got passages on epithelial-mesenchymal communication and teeth formation, some REALLY sociology-heavy passage on healthcare ethics theory, and the last passage was about Fungi Diversity. If there's any advice I would give, just pretend that any passage you're reading is the single, most ****ing interesting thing you've ever read. I literally would read the title of the passages, shrug my shoulders, and "got excited" to read these things. RC is all about mindset than method.

Bootcamp:
I did Bootcamp the final 10 days before my test. Here's the thing with bootcamp, guys; I let it psyche me out. Hard. ESPECIALLY QR. On the actual test, the difficulty level is going to be about on par with DAT Destoyer's math in the back of the book (I did all of these in 1 sitting about 2 days before my test: I would suggest doing this so it's fresh. It'll take about 4 hours).

That being said, even though Bootcamp is slightly overkill in QR, RC, and even PAT, I would say--STILL DO THEM. As you can see, I got pretty crappy scores, but it definitely scared me into submission, and I'm so glad I stuck with it. For the sciences, there's no better testing resource than Bootcamp. I wish I had more time to have gone over my tests (and I REALLY wish there were a way to save previous tests--but I understand that's a feature coming soon). Do the tests, full length, start-to-finish. Even though QR is MAJORLY overkill, and it WILL freak you out, be like Nike and just do it if for no other reason than to get used to sitting somewhere for 45 minutes after doing all that other BS. For me, after I had done about 13 full-length DAT's through Crack DAT and Bootcamp, the actual DAT felt short and easy.

Final Notes:
Take some time to pamper yourself the day before. I went and got a facial with a coworker the day before, and got dinner/icecream with friends. Give yourself a cutoff time. I mean, seriously. Cut yourself off at some point. I wanted REALLY BADLY to go over DAT Destoyer's Biology, because I literally only did it once, and I didn't even read most of the "E. All are true" questions, because most of the time I was going through it, I was tired and I just answered "E. All are true" just to make myself feel better that I got it right. But I realized I'd have pretty limited returns if I read until 2:00AM the day before my test.

You're going to feel really afraid when you cut yourself off. My cutoff time was 12:00AM Sunday night. My test was at 12:15PM the following day. I remember closing all my Bootcamp windows, going into my boyfriend's room and saying, "I'm done." and cried.

Also, a freakout will come. Have them. Get it out of your system. I hit a hard one the last day I went to work before my test (I took Friday and Saturday off, and Sundays the office is closed). I also had a panic attack 2 days before because I couldn't find ANY wifi anywhere in San Francisco because of PRIDE.

I think it's important to give these test its due reverence, but I will say that the actual test is lower in difficulty than any practice test I took. Still be sure that you know a large BREADTH of information! That's what makes this test soooo difficult! The bank is ENORMOUS, and I'm sure that these results could have been very different if I had gotten another version. Be safe: know the fundamentals of everything.

And general test taking tip here: if you find yourself getting flustered, even for a moment (ESPECIALLY in QR), mark it and move on. There is no point in letting your nerves accumulate over 1 question while that clock is counting down in the corner of your screen. The practice tests gave me the ability to just let things go sometimes.

Finally, and this is just me, be very kind the weeks leading up before your test. Just do everything you can to put out positive energy out to all the people close to you. I felt good going into my test because PRIDE and the SCOTUS decision had come through, and I felt that there was just terrific energy in San Francisco. I'm very thankful for it. You'll feel good going into your test, too! Also, and again this is just me, if there's anything you can do to make yourself feel better on the day of your test: dress nice. Like, business casual. You'll feel more awake. My test wasn't until 12:15PM, so I curled my hair, put on makeup, and walked into the testing center feeling a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle more confident! If this is your thing, by all means, do it! If not, just get plenty of sleep!

I know this was SUPER long. But SERIOUSLY, I am TELLING you--if I can score above 20, you DEFINITELY can! If you have ANY questions for me, please private message me or feel free to contact me on gmail (joyah.korin). Remember: I used to be a teacher, and now I have an ABUNDANCE of free time! I will be here for you!

11060168_10101013251558023_2361308308133768647_n.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 40 users
I had a question, for the Feralis Flashcards, how come some of the cards just have "..." and not anything else?

I've been trying to make flashcards of the notes and honestly its taking FOREVER and with only 17 days to my exam, I don't think it's the most efficient use of my time...

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a question, for the Feralis Flashcards, how come some of the cards just have "..." and not anything else?

I've been trying to make flashcards of the notes and honestly its taking FOREVER and with only 17 days to my exam, I don't think it's the most efficient use of my time...

Yeah, a lot of the flashcards are just there for the purpose of having something on a card. What I liked is if you click that star in the corner, it will save your progress without you needing to make an account. This way, you can easily review what you don't know. For me, if I ran across a card that didn't make me say, "Duh," I marked it, and reviewed it. I found these flashcards about 2 weeks before my test, and I went through all 2,000 with about 600 cards marked. I found little pockets of time to go through those 600 about 100 at a time--I felt this was invaluable. I think the flashcards are just preferential. For me, I got VERY intimidated looking at Feralis' notes with the 7pt font with 20 pages in Animal Form and Function. I felt more safe looking at flashcards, haha.

Yeah, a lot of the flashcards are just there for the purpose of having something on a card. What I liked is if you click that star in the corner, it will save your progress without you needing to make an account. This way, you can easily review what you don't know. For me, if I ran across a card that didn't make me say, "Duh," I marked it, and reviewed it. I found these flashcards about 2 weeks before my test, and I went through all 2,000 with about 600 cards marked. I found little pockets of time to go through those 600 about 100 at a time--I felt this was invaluable. I think the flashcards are just preferential. For me, I got VERY intimidated looking at Feralis' notes with the 7pt font with 20 pages in Animal Form and Function. I felt more safe looking at flashcards, haha.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I definitely know what you mean, I never really made flashcards in school but I have been for the DAT to memorize stuff and it's helping but honestly making them takes so much time by hand... I have about 400-500 cards just on the first 20 pages and that took me days.... I think I may just stop doing them and use the ones already made! So thanks for that link!

Honestly with that awesome story your DAT scores wouldnt have mattered much, though you killed it so start saving for all the interviews youre gonna get!

Congratulations! You definitely deserve those scores and I can feel your positivity radiating through your post. Your story is remarkable and you can pretty much ensure that whatever interview you receive will turn into an acceptance without a doubt. I will not be taking the DAT until next summer, but if I have any questions I may send them over to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Great Scores! Congratulations! Amazing accomplishment, truly!

Now go shine up that application, you've got some interviews to prepare for! Please feel free to contact me for anything as you move forward. Most of your work is done now, time to enjoy yourself and enjoy some well-deserved interviews.

Congrats again,
Gage

Congratulations! You definitely deserve those scores and I can feel your positivity radiating through your post. Your story is remarkable and you can pretty much ensure that whatever interview you receive will turn into an acceptance without a doubt. I will not be taking the DAT until next summer, but if I have any questions I may send them over to you!

Please do! I will do anything I can to help! Happy studying!

Hard work and compassion...two things that will without a doubt get anyone very far in life. The world needs more people like you. Congratulations on your achievements :)

Reactions: 1 users
Good job! Good luck this cycle!

You might want to move / repost this to the appropriate forum though, Which is Forums -> Dental Forums ->DAT Discussions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good job! Good luck this cycle!

You might want to move / repost this to the appropriate forum though, Which is Forums -> Dental Forums ->DAT Discussions.

Is there a way to move it by editing? Sorry, I haven't really used this forum much for purposes other than lurking, haha.

Great post, very humble individual, perfect traits for a dentist, best of luck!

Amazing story! How did you get a job as a dental assistant though? Did you get a X-ray certified?

I started out as a Patient Care Coordinator. I think it's a position kind of unique to my office since we are a high-volume clinic. After I worked with them for a few months, I asked if I could perhaps take on more responsibilities and help break down and set up rooms, which evolved into me assisting the doctors. Since I speak Spanish (and 80% of our patients are Spanish-speaking only), the doctors really liked having me around. I am still limited in what I can do since I do not have x-ray certification, but I do what I can to help out! :)

Last edited:
These scores are amazing. You have overcame a lot of difficulties and you just proved that if you really want something, you can achieve it with hard work and determination. What an inspiration to students like me. You will make a terrific dentist in the future. :)

As the title suggests, I wanted to preface this posting by telling you that I am NOT, nor have I ever been, an exceptional student. This post is for those in my position who are not very confident, but will work incredibly hard and do what it takes to perform well on this test! You can do it!

Actual DAT scores:
BIO: 21
GC: 20
OC: 25
PAT: 22
RC: 23
QR: 20
AA: 22

Bootcamp Scores:
Test#: bio/gc/oc/pat/rc/qr
Test 1: 20/16/17/19/x/x (didn't take RC or QR for some reason?)
Test 2: 19/18/16/19/19/19
Test 3: 15/20/16/19/18/17
Test 4: 18/18/21/18/x/17
Test 5: 22/18/20/18/21/18

Crack DAT Scores:
Science: 18/18/17/18/15/15/18/18/17/18
PAT: 16/16/18/18/20/21/18/19/21
RC: 17/21/19/17/20/23/21
QR: 18/18/18/18/19/19/20/20/17/21/20/18

List of resources (in the order I found them most helpful):
Chad's Videos (+Quizzes), Cliff's AP Bio, DAT Bootcamp, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, CrackDAT (I got the Royal Flush verson), Feralis Notes (and flashcards found here: https://quizlet.com/38689906/feralis-bio-notes-flash-cards/), Alan's Notes, and of course YOU, the SDN community! I don't know what I'll do with my time now that I won't be obsessively lurking all of your amazing posts!

Materials I would suggest investing in:
Notebooks, Flashcards, whiteboard + dry erase markers (for beginning phase of studying), laminated sheets and wet erase markers (for end game phase of studying--you will not be able to erase your work at the testing center), and MOST IMPORTANT: Papermate fine tip markers in the 16 pack. They sell these at any Target.

Background on me (skip this unless you want a pep talk):
I think this is important to include, because I hope that this drives home the point that anything is possible if you're willing to work VERY hard for this test! I am a Korean adoptee from a very small town in Virginia. My early life was made quite difficult with problems with racial bullying, poverty, violence in my family, which all created a perfect storm ending with me graduating from high school with a 1.8 GPA, and absolutely no skills. I read at a 7th-8th grade level, I could not add/subtract simple fractions, and I did not have any plans to go to college. I was too broken.
In 2004, I went to a for-profit art school and ultimately failed out. When I had nowhere else to turn, I chose to do Nursing at a school in Indiana. I moved to Indiana for a boyfriend, but it ended up being a life-changing move. I worked incredibly hard in my nursing program, and realized that Math and Science were no longer a burden for me if I really WANTED to do well. I then decided to switch my major to Biology to do Pre-med. I worked my way from remedial math and English classes (I took "Algebra Review", Int. Algebra, College algebra, pre-calc, Calc). I still want to mention that I was still NOT a brilliant student. My GPA was not incredible, and I always felt pressure in every class. If you have felt this way, you are not alone. Please keep your head up!
When I left Indiana, I decided to do Teach For America. I was so passionate about this move because education absolutely changed my life. I wanted to meet, teach, and support children who came from a similar background as me. I taught 8th grade Math and Science in East Oakland, and it was, again, a life-changing experience.
During that time, I got to know the needs of the communities I worked in, and I realized basic healthcare like dentistry was severely lacking (I worked with a 1st grade student who had never owned a toothbrush). After this, I was on FIRE to be a healthcare provider in this community. I am currently a dental assistant in a low-income clinic in San Francisco.

How I studied (by resource):
I gave myself a lot of time. At first, I scheduled my exam to be in September and planned to take the test the summer after I stopped teaching. I tried to do Ari's study plan, but this was obviously beyond my skills. I was also limited because I work full time. I also slowed things down even more because it's been 7-8 years since I had taken my chemistry series.

Chad's Videos:
Hands down, the most important resource there is. When I was researching study materials, I couldn't find a bad review for Chad. He's just an incredible teacher, and I actually think I know more about Chemistry than I ever did before. I watched his videos at 3 critical stages:
First Time: Just reviewing, taking careful notes, and doing the quizzes. This is a necessary step.
Second Time: After going through DAT Destroyer the 1st time.
Third Time: I watched all the videos in 1 week at 2.5x's speed. I was able to watch all the chemistry videos in 1 week this way, and it REALLY drove home everything I needed to know for the DAT. Some of the questions I encountered on DAT, I could literally hear Chad's voice telling me what to do. Seriously, the videos are that good.

HOW TO MOST EFFECTIVELY USE DAT/MATH DESTROYER!!!!:
Okay, this is going to sound like a plug for Destroyer, but I SWEAR to you.... doing practice problems is EVERYTHING for DAT. And I'm not talking about just chugging through for the sake of completion, I mean MEANINGFULLY, and METHODICALLY going through this book is going to be TANTAMOUNT. If there is a "secret" here, it's this:
First time: I went through Destroyer literally 8 problems at a time in each section (13 problems at a time in Math Destroyer. I went through it slowly because I wanted to do the problems, understand the questions, and review them. On days I didn't work, sure, I did the full set of 30. I took careful notes on the ones I got wrong.
Second time (THIS WAS THE MOST IMPORTANT): I color-coded ALL the questions I still got wrong by CONCEPT. Example: Stoich problems I did in red. Acid/Bases I did in green. Periodic Trends I did in purple. Here's the thing: when you go through DAT destoyer, there's SO many problems, you aren't going to make good connections if you're not attacking these with a plan. Once I completed DAT/Math Destroyer this way, I went through my INCORRECT responses (which were literally half or more of the questions, don't freak out about this), I got ANOTHER notebook, and (still using the same colors), I grouped all of the questions I got incorrect together by concept.
Once I had these together, I went through them, and watched Chad's videos that were associated with that problem group. THIS is how you're going to learn the material! If there was anything that was the most important part of my study plan, this was it!

Crack DAT:
This was useful for me. It was my first experience taking all the tests together in 1 sitting to simulate testing conditions. I started taking practice tests the 1st day of June (my test date was June 29). I would say PAT was more similar in difficulty to Crack DAT, same with QR. Seriously, please don't waste your time with the science sections. RC was also pretty on par with Crack DAT as far as density of the passages. I didn't use any particular methods for RC; I just read the passages to completion and did some weird variation of search and destroy. I got passages on epithelial-mesenchymal communication and teeth formation, some REALLY sociology-heavy passage on healthcare ethics theory, and the last passage was about Fungi Diversity. If there's any advice I would give, just pretend that any passage you're reading is the single, most ****ing interesting thing you've ever read. I literally would read the title of the passages, shrug my shoulders, and "got excited" to read these things. RC is all about mindset than method.

Bootcamp:
I did Bootcamp the final 10 days before my test. Here's the thing with bootcamp, guys; I let it psyche me out. Hard. ESPECIALLY QR. On the actual test, the difficulty level is going to be about on par with DAT Destoyer's math in the back of the book (I did all of these in 1 sitting about 2 days before my test: I would suggest doing this so it's fresh. It'll take about 4 hours).

That being said, even though Bootcamp is slightly overkill in QR, RC, and even PAT, I would say--STILL DO THEM. As you can see, I got pretty crappy scores, but it definitely scared me into submission, and I'm so glad I stuck with it. For the sciences, there's no better testing resource than Bootcamp. I wish I had more time to have gone over my tests (and I REALLY wish there were a way to save previous tests--but I understand that's a feature coming soon). Do the tests, full length, start-to-finish. Even though QR is MAJORLY overkill, and it WILL freak you out, be like Nike and just do it if for no other reason than to get used to sitting somewhere for 45 minutes after doing all that other BS. For me, after I had done about 13 full-length DAT's through Crack DAT and Bootcamp, the actual DAT felt short and easy.

Final Notes:
Take some time to pamper yourself the day before. I went and got a facial with a coworker the day before, and got dinner/icecream with friends. Give yourself a cutoff time. I mean, seriously. Cut yourself off at some point. I wanted REALLY BADLY to go over DAT Destoyer's Biology, because I literally only did it once, and I didn't even read most of the "E. All are true" questions, because most of the time I was going through it, I was tired and I just answered "E. All are true" just to make myself feel better that I got it right. But I realized I'd have pretty limited returns if I read until 2:00AM the day before my test.

You're going to feel really afraid when you cut yourself off. My cutoff time was 12:00AM Sunday night. My test was at 12:15PM the following day. I remember closing all my Bootcamp windows, going into my boyfriend's room and saying, "I'm done." and cried.

Also, a freakout will come. Have them. Get it out of your system. I hit a hard one the last day I went to work before my test (I took Friday and Saturday off, and Sundays the office is closed). I also had a panic attack 2 days before because I couldn't find ANY wifi anywhere in San Francisco because of PRIDE.

I think it's important to give these test its due reverence, but I will say that the actual test is lower in difficulty than any practice test I took. Still be sure that you know a large BREADTH of information! That's what makes this test soooo difficult! The bank is ENORMOUS, and I'm sure that these results could have been very different if I had gotten another version. Be safe: know the fundamentals of everything.

And general test taking tip here: if you find yourself getting flustered, even for a moment (ESPECIALLY in QR), mark it and move on. There is no point in letting your nerves accumulate over 1 question while that clock is counting down in the corner of your screen. The practice tests gave me the ability to just let things go sometimes.

Finally, and this is just me, be very kind the weeks leading up before your test. Just do everything you can to put out positive energy out to all the people close to you. I felt good going into my test because PRIDE and the SCOTUS decision had come through, and I felt that there was just terrific energy in San Francisco. I'm very thankful for it. You'll feel good going into your test, too! Also, and again this is just me, if there's anything you can do to make yourself feel better on the day of your test: dress nice. Like, business casual. You'll feel more awake. My test wasn't until 12:15PM, so I curled my hair, put on makeup, and walked into the testing center feeling a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle more confident! If this is your thing, by all means, do it! If not, just get plenty of sleep!

I know this was SUPER long. But SERIOUSLY, I am TELLING you--if I can score above 20, you DEFINITELY can! If you have ANY questions for me, please private message me or feel free to contact me on gmail (joyah.korin). Remember: I used to be a teacher, and now I have an ABUNDANCE of free time! I will be here for you!

11060168_10101013251558023_2361308308133768647_n.jpg

Congratulations! Your story truly touched me and shows that hard work and determination overcomes any obstacle.

Your scores are excellent and you should get many interviews.

Thanks again for sharing your journey to success, it's truly amazing.

Wishing you the very best..

Nancy

Congratulations on your well deserved score! Thank you for sharing your story and techniques with us & I whole-heartedly wish you the best in your journey to becoming a dentist!

Thank you for such a motivating and kind breakdown. It's helping me a lot especially with how to structure my studying with Destroyer. I wish you the best, and I can sense your positive energy. I send some great vibes your way, too and I hope to keep updated on your progress this cycle. :]

This is great! Good Job and good luck with the application process! I am taking the DAT in 3 days. Just like you I took the DAT Bootcamp and scored 18AA. I didn't bother doing the QR section on the BC but went thru the Destroyer math part on the back on the book and I got 75%. So I feel comfortable when you say it's on par with the read DAT. Overall thank you for getting me motivated! Looking forward to taking the DAT in 3 days :whistle:

Yeah, DEFINITELY for me, at least. I think I also similarly knew about 75% of the problems in the back of the book--If I could have done differently, I would have focused more on these questions I got wrong over any other resource, along with Math Destroyer for the geometry. The trig problems are much more on par with the back of the book than Math Destroyer. When I "prepped" during my 15-minute tutorial, I wrote down the entire table of the sin/cosine values for 30-180 degrees, and wrote down all the double angle formulas, and the sin^2x + cos^2x = 1. That was definitely useful, and saved me time! Let me know how everything goes! If you have any questions, please contact me!

Congratulations! Your story truly touched me and shows that hard work and determination overcomes any obstacle.

Your scores are excellent and you should get many interviews.

Thanks again for sharing your journey to success, it's truly amazing.

Wishing you the very best..

Nancy

Thank you SOOOOO much Nancy! I was hoping you would read this and know how grateful I am to you and Dr. Ramano's product! It truly is The Bible for us DAT students, and I'm so glad I didn't listen to any negative feedback on SDN. Thank you for all that you do!

Amazing scores!!! You deserve it completely. I'll be cheering for you. Let me know if you ever have any questions! I am sorry that you had such a rough time growing up, but I'm very proud as a fellow Korean that you picked yourself back up and achieved something great.

I can't thank you enough for this post. My practice exam scores are similar to yours and I am basically using the same materials except for crackDAT.

Great scores also, nice work

Thanks SenoritaKorea!! This was an inspiring post. We all appreciate it. Especially the ones struggling with this test. Quick question, did you do the QR Destroyer or just stick to the Math Destroyer for the QR section? If you did both, which one did you find more helpful or replicated the DAT exam more?

Thanks in advance

Thank you SOOOOO much Nancy! I was hoping you would read this and know how grateful I am to you and Dr. Ramano's product! It truly is The Bible for us DAT students, and I'm so glad I didn't listen to any negative feedback on SDN. Thank you for all that you do!

So glad we could help, please keep us all posted on your journey!

I found this to be truly inspiring and motivating. Congrats on your scores and good luck with the application! :)

Reactions: 2 users
You are so inspiring with your words and I loveeee your pep talk! Its people like you who deserve everything due to your hard work and dedication. Congratulations, amazing breakdown, and good luck with your future!

Amazing scores!!! You deserve it completely. I'll be cheering for you. Let me know if you ever have any questions! I am sorry that you had such a rough time growing up, but I'm very proud as a fellow Korean that you picked yourself back up and achieved something great.
I can't thank you enough for this post. My practice exam scores are similar to yours and I am basically using the same materials except for crackDAT.

Great scores also, nice work

Thank you! And yeah, definitely the last month I spent studying, I was CONSTANTLY on SDN comparing my practice test scores to people who scored somewhat similarly as me. I managed to score in their neighborhood, so it's definitely possible!

Thanks SenoritaKorea!! This was an inspiring post. We all appreciate it. Especially the ones struggling with this test. Quick question, did you do the QR Destroyer or just stick to the Math Destroyer for the QR section? If you did both, which one did you find more helpful or replicated the DAT exam more?

Thanks in advance

I did use Math Destoyer--I went through the book 4 times! The first time, I went VERY slowly (I took 3 nights to do each test). The 2nd time, I did 1 test each night. The 3rd time, I only went over the questions I got incorrect (25-40% of each test). The 4th time, I did the entire book in 2 nights. I only went through the DAT Destroyer QR one time, and I did it in 1 sitting. At this point, I was strong enough in QR to complete the 140~ problems in about 3-4 hours. Although the test was more similar in difficulty to the DAT Destroyer QR, I think that this alone would not be sufficient to score a 20+.

Thank you! 대한민국!! Are you also applying this cycle?

@SenoritaKorea Amazing story! So much so that it brought me out of the shadows lol. This is my first post. I've been a forum lurker for some time now as I've been gearing up for my DAT. Congratulations on your exam score and best of luck with your future endeavors!

Your breakdown is especially significant for me because like you I am working full time in addition to the fact that it has been a while since I've taken my undergrad courses. I've been battling with finding a study plan that works. I have done preliminary studying by reading through Cliffs and going through Chad's videos a first time which refreshed my memory with many topics however I'm in the midst of going through it all again. While I read and watched the material I had some obligations that hindered some study time and took a chunk of my weekends which is crucial when you're also working. I needed to reinforce the material better so this time I am using Ari's study schedule as an outline on how to tackle the material but at a pace that works with my schedule while taking better notes. Which brings me to a few questions that I have about your study process.

How long were you studying for? (Months/Weeks/ How many hours each day approx.)

How did you order your sections?
Originally I was focusing a large part of my time on Bio, and then moved to mostly Chem etc. and I quickly saw the pitfall in doing this. I would accumulate knowledge and understanding in one area, move to the next and I'd lose some of the information form the first area so now I'm sticking with a blend. A little bit of bio, gen chem and math each day. Then I'll transition into orgo and PAT in the coming weeks while reading articles along the way. (Basically using Ari's schedule as previously stated)

When did you start using which materials?
I see that you gave insight into how you used your materials, but I'm hoping to gain some more understanding into how you incorporated certain materials together. I currently have some of the common materials Cliffs, Kaplan BB (although I've stayed away from it for the most part), DAT/Math Destroyer, Chad's videos and I used Khan academy from time to time. I still need to decide on DAT Bootcamp and/or Crack DAT. Anyway I am using Cliffs and Chad's to go through the material (Feralis cards too now, thanks for the link lol) before I open up Destroyer. I feel that right now I'd just get a majority of the Destroyer questions wrong because I haven't gotten a good grasp on certain topics. Did you (or anyone else) wait to finish going over the topics (bio, chem, orgo) before using Destroyer/Bootcamp or did you find it more helpful by going through destroyer/bootcamp etc while still learning the topics?

How was the QR calculator on the DAT?
There is actually another thread on this but I'd like to verify a response that was given. Basically in Chad's QR videos he states that:
1. You cannot use the number pad on the keyboard to type in the numbers and operations but you can only use a mouse
2. He was unsure if the square root button was on the calculator and if it was functional.

One person responded to the thread stating that you can use the number pad on the keyboard to type and the square root button works. I would just like for someone else to confirm this.

Once again thanks for sharing your story! Sorry if this is kind of long. Aside from asking questions I also venting a bit on the things that have been stressing me. The DAT is my Everest lol.

@SenoritaKorea Amazing story! So much so that it brought me out of the shadows lol. This is my first post. I've been a forum lurker for some time now as I've been gearing up for my DAT. Congratulations on your exam score and best of luck with your future endeavors!

Your breakdown is especially significant for me because like you I am working full time in addition to the fact that it has been a while since I've taken my undergrad courses. I've been battling with finding a study plan that works. I have done preliminary studying by reading through Cliffs and going through Chad's videos a first time which refreshed my memory with many topics however I'm in the midst of going through it all again. While I read and watched the material I had some obligations that hindered some study time and took a chunk of my weekends which is crucial when you're also working. I needed to reinforce the material better so this time I am using Ari's study schedule as an outline on how to tackle the material but at a pace that works with my schedule while taking better notes. Which brings me to a few questions that I have about your study process.

Originally I was focusing a large part of my time on Bio, and then moved to mostly Chem etc. and I quickly saw the pitfall in doing this. I would accumulate knowledge and understanding in one area, move to the next and I'd lose some of the information form the first area so now I'm sticking with a blend. A little bit of bio, gen chem and math each day. Then I'll transition into orgo and PAT in the coming weeks while reading articles along the way. (Basically using Ari's schedule as previously stated)

I see that you gave insight into how you used your materials, but I'm hoping to gain some more understanding into how you incorporated certain materials together. I currently have some of the common materials Cliffs, Kaplan BB (although I've stayed away from it for the most part), DAT/Math Destroyer, Chad's videos and I used Khan academy from time to time. I still need to decide on DAT Bootcamp and/or Crack DAT. Anyway I am using Cliffs and Chad's to go through the material (Feralis cards too now, thanks for the link lol) before I open up Destroyer. I feel that right now I'd just get a majority of the Destroyer questions wrong because I haven't gotten a good grasp on certain topics. Did you (or anyone else) wait to finish going over the topics (bio, chem, orgo) before using Destroyer/Bootcamp or did you find it more helpful by going through destroyer/bootcamp etc while still learning the topics?

There is actually another thread on this but I'd like to verify a response that was given. Basically in Chad's QR videos he states that:
1. You cannot use the number pad on the keyboard to type in the numbers and operations but you can only use a mouse
2. He was unsure if the square root button was on the calculator and if it was functional.

One person responded to the thread stating that you can use the number pad on the keyboard to type and the square root button works. I would just like for someone else to confirm this.

Once again thanks for sharing your story! Sorry if this is kind of long. Aside from asking questions I also venting a bit on the things that have been stressing me. The DAT is my Everest lol.

I didn't use the number pad but I believe that if you turn off num lock and click inside the box, you can. I wouldn't count on it, though.

But I can confirm that the square root function definitely is on the calculator and is functional. I took the test in late May.

The DAT is DEFINITELY Everest! And keep in mind--you can't scale Everest in a day! It's going to take a while to get there, but the view from the top is amazing!

If you private message me with your e-mail, I will send you Cliff's 3rd Edition--this is the best book for DAT, from my understanding. Also bought the Kaplan book, but I also did not read it at ALL (I'm kind of irritated I bought it to be honest, oh well).

As far as Destoyer, I wouldn't put it off. Dive right in. NOBODY gets more than 50% correct their first time through--it's REALLY tough! But here's the thing, studying for DAT, you HAVE to do practice problems. And the reason why is this: You have to learn from your mistakes. I would go through Chad's videos and feel like I totally got it, no problem. I would do his quizzes and feel good about life; ultimately to be pulled back down to the group by Destroyer (it's a good thing, though!). With Chad's quizzes, you know, they're great checks for understanding after you watch a video. However, they're tailored pretty specifically to his videos. Destroyer is just everywhere and very spherical learning, which is a goooooood thing! And the other thing is, if I get a problem right, I'm like, "All right! I'm so smart!" and never really revisit it. When I would get a problem wrong in Destroyer, I'd be like, "Crap, I'm stupid. What did I do wrong?" I literally would go through Destroyer flipping back and forth between the problems and the solution, and that's fine! Just let yourself get the problems wrong, and review them mindfully, taking good notes.

I started Destroyer immediately after I watched Chad's videos the first time. I spent probably 4-5 months working solely with Chad's videos and Destroyer. The 2nd time I went though Destroyer, I color-coded the problems by concept (see above). I then grouped all these together, and watched the corresponding video on Chad's. I would say more than ANYTHING else I did, THIS helped me learn the content the best. I would usually have 18 problems per concept GC and OC, so I would go through 1 concept in each other those, with their video, in 1 night. I would also do the same method with QR, but I didn't really ever watch Chad's math videos, again. His science videos are definitely the jewel of his collection. I was also very fortunate because I used to be a teacher, and I had one of my old friends I used to teach with who helped me with trig and probability problems.

I started doing Crack DAT and Bootcamp the last month of my studying. I started June 1st with Crack DAT, and then I started on Bootcamp with 2 weeks remaining. Bootcamp definitely should be the last thing you work on.

In total, I studied for about 9 months. Which I know sounds completely ridiculous. I did take a couple of weeks where I didn't study at all because I only see my family once a year, and I didn't want to lose time with them studying, and then my boyfriend and I also took a week-long trip together to celebrate our 4-year anniversary. I also stupidly lost 1 week because I wanted to copy/paste all of Chad's questions and solutions from his quizzes into 2 word documents to review. That was a really bad idea, because I never even used them. So, I guess in total I actually spent 8 months studying 5 days a week most weeks, if I'm REALLY honest with myself. I studied basically daily the last month, however. I found Feralis Notes also the last month I was studying.

Reactions: 3 users
Great job!! Its so nice of you to take all of this time to help people on here :)

Do you think the Destroyer Bio is enough resource to prepare for the bio section? I tried skimming though Cliffs/Feralis, but I'm more of an active learner, so I felt like I wasn't retaining much information by just reading. I make notes throughout the bio destroyer and go over/look up wrong answers also.

Do you think that should be enough? I haven't taken a BC test, but I will at the end of the week when I finish destroyer.

Do you think the Destroyer Bio is enough resource to prepare for the bio section? I tried skimming though Cliffs/Feralis, but I'm more of an active learner, so I felt like I wasn't retaining much information by just reading. I make notes throughout the bio destroyer and go over/look up wrong answers also.

Do you think that should be enough? I haven't taken a BC test, but I will at the end of the week when I finish destroyer.

To be honest, I think Destroyer Bio is more of a supplement to Cliff's/Feralis. If you are very comfortable with Biology, I would say go for it, but if it's been a while since you took Cell/Physiology/Ecology/General Bio (evolution, genetics, and diversity), you may have a hard time only working with Destroyer.

I also had a panic attack 2 days before because I couldn't find ANY wifi anywhere in San Francisco because of PRIDE.

Taking the DAT anywhere around Pride in SF is gutsy!!! Too funny...haha. I know how crazy it was here for that whole week! Congrats on your scores :clap:

Taking the DAT anywhere around Pride in SF is gutsy!!! Too funny...haha. I know how crazy it was here for that whole week! Congrats on your scores :clap:

That is the truth! I'm reading how some people had computer issues and I'm realizing how lucky I was not to have any technical hiccups on test day!

thanks for sharing your story and your breakdown with us!! :)
funny thing, i took my DAT in Kentucky and I was given pencil and paper haha!
congrats on your scores!!!!!