DAT Breakdown: 21 AA/21 TS/ 21 PAT

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by crow14, 09.22.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. crow14

crow14 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So even though my scores aren't as crazy amazing as a lot of the other SDN-ers on here, I wanted to post my breakdown, because reading how all you genius people studied as well as what material you guys used really helped guide me in my studying.

So here's my breakdown:

PAT: 21 :)

QR: 19 :unsure:

RC: 22 :laugh:
    BIO: 22 :soexcited:

GC: 22 :D

OC: 19 o_O

TS: 21 :eek:

AA: 21:clap:

What I used to study:

DAT Destroyer (10/10):
    This book seriously was amazing practice. I definitely would recommend doing all the sections AT LEAST 2x. I went through the Bio section 3x, Ochem ~2x, and Gchem ~2.5x. I wish I had gone through the Ochem section at least one more time, probably could have ended up with a 22 TS if I had done that. I also made pretty detailed notes on all of the info that I was not sure of based off of the answers in the back of the book.

Cliff's AP Biology 3rd Edition (8/10):
    I skimmed through this once and did the quizzes after I skimmed through each section. I usually got 100% on each quiz, so I thought that this resource was too easy for DAT studying. But it's pretty well written and makes sure you get the basics down.

Feralis Biology Notes (9.5/10):
    These notes are gold for the bio section. Seriously some of the little details in here turned up in almost word-for-word question form on my real DAT. I quickly skimmed through this about 2x. Cause for my study preferences, quantity > quality. The more reps you get for information, the better you will remember things and the easier you will pick up the small details.

Chad's Videos (10/10):
    I was totally skeptical about his videos, even with all the praise, cause while I was going through them, I thought they simplified ochem and gchem too much. But all of the main points that he covered are about how in-depth the actual DAT was. Plus make sure to do the quizzes after you watch the videos! They're super good for making sure you get the concepts down.

Crack DAT Royal Flush Edition (8.5/10):
    So I totally bought this before reading what everyone had to say about it. But even with all the hate this gets on the science section, I thought it was pretty useful, especially for timing purposes. Alot of the science questions are ridiculously detailed, but better to be over prepared than not right? The PAT and QR sections however were spot on! I was getting destroyed at first with these two sections because of timing reasons. But just from doing these practice tests I got better.

RC:
    Soooo for this section I literally did no practice, cause I've always been pretty confident with my comprehension. I wish I had made use of the Crack DAT reading, I never even opened the section :eyebrow:. Maybe if I had, I could have scored higher??

Study Schedule:
    Started in July, studying about 1 - 3 hours a day. Mainly going over a couple Chad's videos, reading a couple chapters of Cliff's AP Bio. By August, I started doing DAT Destroyer questions, studying time went up to about ~4 hours a day. In September, I started panicking a little bit, because I realized I hadn't really done anything timed in preparation for the DAT. So I started doing a bunch of PAT practice tests from Crack DAT as well as a bunch of QR tests. During this time, I was studying around 8 - 12 hours a day. I was doing loads of DAT Destroyer questions, and lots of googling for anything I didn't understand. I was also making flashcards from Ochem sections in the DAT Destroyer.

Test Day:
    My test was at 12:30 pm. I got up at 7:00 am, went to Starbucks, got my Venti Iced Coffee, then went through a QR test in Crack DAT, did some Chad's quizzes on Gchem and Ochem sections that I was slightly weaker on. I went through my Ochem flashcards as well as my QR flashcards. Went to my test at noon, I felt pretty relaxed, but the test room was so freaking cold :arghh:. And my computer crashed twice while I was taking the test+pissed+..... Once during the PAT section and once during the QR section. The guy at the testing center had me go to a different computer each time and he pulled up the test at the exact same spot where it crashed, so at least I didn't lose any time.

Soooo my DAT is finally done, and I'm pretty content with my scores. I'm filling out secondaries right now, because I sent my application in around August 1. Hopefully I get some interviews :rolleyes:

Thanks again SDN :soexcited:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. predent31414

predent31414

Solid scores. Took mine a week ago and have very similar scores! And my test center was FREEZING. Congrats and best of luck with the application cycle. Fingers crossed for us late DAT takers!

crow14 likes this.
  4. mkhan27

mkhan27 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Dang that sucked that your computer crashed. And that happening twice. I would've panicked if that happened and it would've effected the rest of my exam. You have great scores congrats! Did you use Bootcamp by any chance or Math Destroyer?

5. crow14

crow14 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    LOL! I totally panicked....I think it helped, from all that adrenaline that was pumping xD
    And sadly no, I didn't use either, although I heard good things about both.

mkhan27 likes this.
  6. biomolecmed

biomolecmed 2+ Year Member

Great scores. Congratulations.

crow14 likes this.
  7. Sharon914

Sharon914 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Very solid scores!! Congrats!

crow14 likes this.
  8. StevenLuSL

StevenLuSL 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Very solid all around, good job :horns:

crow14 likes this.
  9. Dotoday

Dotoday 7+ Year Member

Solid scores. Well done. Thanks for taking your time and providing a breakdown.

crow14 likes this.
  10. Romano Scientific

Romano Scientific 2+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Congrats! All the best for your future career!

11. phillyeagles1

phillyeagles1 Banned Banned Account on Hold

Pre-Dental
    These are some solid scores! Did you apply this cycle?

12. biomolecmed

biomolecmed 2+ Year Member

So, they best way is to do Feralis, Chads and than Destroyer?

13. crow14

crow14 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thank you :D

14. crow14

crow14 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks! and yep yep!

15. crow14

crow14 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yea, I would say that would give you a 20 at least in sciences. But I would definitely say get some practice tests

16. phillyeagles1

phillyeagles1 Banned Banned Account on Hold

Pre-Dental
    Whats schools? And any interviews yet?

17. SyracuseOrange92

SyracuseOrange92 Banned Banned Account on Hold

Pre-Dental
    awesome scores! congrats

18. crow14

crow14 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    a bunch of so-cal schools, no interviews so far