Jan 24, 2012
Firstly, the major factor that will determine one's score on the science section in particular is the knowledge acquired during his or her undergraduate studies. Moreover, knowledge and comprehension, in particular in the chemistries, must be complemented with extensive problem-solving. Comprehension without problem-solving is too inefficient and overly general for the solving of specific types of problems, and problem-solving without comprehension leads to narrowness and and a need to generate an algorithm for each and every type of problem that can emerge. On the other hand, comprehension complemented with problem-solving facility leads to an ability to solve various, different types of problems as well as the ability to generate solutions to problems not encountered before.

That being said, I used the following resources:

Chad's Videos: they are exceptional, cost-friendly, and show a thorough command of test content.

DAT Bootcamp: The practice tests for the sciences, reading, and quantitative reasoning are excellent. Unfortunately, I did not practice for the PAT nearly as much as I should have.

DAT Destroyer: this booklet will thoroughly over-prepare you for each and every science section. The actual tests are far less difficult.

Kaplan Blue Book and AP Biology: I intended to thoroughly go through both of these books, but ultimately skimmed through some biology chapters and moved along. I would recommend Chad's Videos for the biology section, but one must also be sure to complement them with a source relating to plants and anatomy and physiology, embryology, and so forth.

PAT: I made the mistake of not beginning practicing until much later in my schedule. Success on this section is based on acquiring tricks and tidbits to work around the problems, and zeroing in on minute details, along with extensive practice. If I could go back and do it all again, I would have purchased Crack DAT PAT months in advance to my test date and thoroughly exhausted that before moving on to Bootcamp's PAT section.

Quantitative Reasoning and Reading Comprehension: I simply took a few practice tests a few days leading up to the exam, in addition to completing the Destroyer QR problems.

My scores:

PAT: 17
RC: 21
QR: 21
BO: 25
GC: 26
OC: 22
TS: 24
AA: 23

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2015
Really phenomenal science scores, well done. I have the same PAT as you with a 21 AA, so I'm really hoping the low PAT won't hinder us too much.

May 17, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
the major factor that will determine one's score on the science section in particular is the knowledge acquired during his or her undergraduate studies. Moreover, knowledge and comprehension, in particular in the chemistries, must be complemented with extensive problem-solving.
I agree 200%. That being said, congratulations on doing well on DAT.

phillyeagles1

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Those are some solid scores. What version of destroyer did you use?

Ari Rezaei

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2012
New York, NY
Status
Dental Student
Awesome job man, congratulations! Solid scores across the board, don't worry about the 17 in PAT. :)

Reactions: Frank22

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER... Dr. Romano and Nancy
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
Firstly, the major factor that will determine one's score on the science section in particular is the knowledge acquired during his or her undergraduate studies. Moreover, knowledge and comprehension, in particular in the chemistries, must be complemented with extensive problem-solving. Comprehension without problem-solving is too inefficient and overly general for the solving of specific types of problems, and problem-solving without comprehension leads to narrowness and and a need to generate an algorithm for each and every type of problem that can emerge. On the other hand, comprehension complemented with problem-solving facility leads to an ability to solve various, different types of problems as well as the ability to generate solutions to problems not encountered before.

Chad's Videos: they are exceptional, cost-friendly, and show a thorough command of test content.

DAT Bootcamp: The practice tests for the sciences, reading, and quantitative reasoning are excellent. Unfortunately, I did not practice for the PAT nearly as much as I should have.

DAT Destroyer: this booklet will thoroughly over-prepare you for each and every science section. The actual tests are far less difficult.

Kaplan Blue Book and AP Biology: I intended to thoroughly go through both of these books, but ultimately skimmed through some biology chapters and moved along. I would recommend Chad's Videos for the biology section, but one must also be sure to complement them with a source relating to plants and anatomy and physiology, embryology, and so forth.

PAT: I made the mistake of not beginning practicing until much later in my schedule. Success on this section is based on acquiring tricks and tidbits to work around the problems, and zeroing in on minute details, along with extensive practice. If I could go back and do it all again, I would have purchased Crack DAT PAT months in advance to my test date and thoroughly exhausted that before moving on to Bootcamp's PAT section.

Quantitative Reasoning and Reading Comprehension: I simply took a few practice tests a few days leading up to the exam, in addition to completing the Destroyer QR problems.

My scores:

Frank22, Congratulations again!!:soexcited::highfive::soexcited::highfive::clap:

Your scores are BLAZING:flame:, and with your exceptional science and reading scores, dental schools will hardly notice your PAT score. That 24 TS and 23 AA is what shines though.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the SDN community and we are please our materials helped you in your DAT Prep...The DAT Beast was not a match for you fully armed DAT tool box.

Wishing you the very best in your journey to becoming a dentist.

Take care..

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Artdent97

5+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2014

My scores:

Good job. Congratulations.

Sep 26, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey, how did your bootcamp PAT scores compare to your actual DAT (I know you said you didn't practice enough, but what you did do)?
Thanks!

OP

Jan 24, 2012
Hey, how did your bootcamp PAT scores compare to your actual DAT (I know you said you didn't practice enough, but what you did do)?
Thanks!
I took 4 practice tests, and my scores were 17/17/16/15, and I practiced for a few weeks on and off. I did not review the solutions after the exams as I should have. The PAT I took was much harder than the 2007 ADA exam. I also scored a 30 on the organic chemistry 2007 ADA practice test, but did considerably lower on the actual test (although I believe there was at least 1 error on my OC and QR sections on my test).

If I could do it all over again, I would have started practicing PAT problems from my 1st week (if not 1st day). I would have also prepared more for the reading section (I only took 2 practice tests the night before the exam when I hadn't slept in over 24 hours) and would have memorized all of the volume, surface area, and area formulas for various geometric shapes. I would have probably also brushed up on some trigonometry as well (I haven't had a math class in over 4 years).

OP

Jan 24, 2012
Your scores are disappointing Frank. You need to retake!
Think of it this way: if someone gets a TS of 23 and believes there was an error on the exam, people will say "Why is he so concerned with a single error when he did great." But if someone were to get a 16 TS and believed there was an error on the exam, people would say "How could he have identified an error on the exam when he couldn't even score above the cutoff of 17 at most schools?" So you see, it is a catch 22.