May 9, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Status
Pre-Dental
Firstly, I cannot express how grateful I am that SDN exists and I am thankful to the several people who contribute to this community. SDN did not only become my replacement for Facebook throughout my studies, but it was also a great support system that kept me current with other predentals who were in the same situation as I was.

Before I dive into the DAT breakdown, I want to say how doable this exam is. Doable does not on any circumstance mean easy, but it is something that will be achieved with hard work and dedication. This exam is by far the hardest exam I have written in my life, but in all honesty it was fair. As you know, they are testing natural sciences, perceptual ability, reading comprehension and quantitative reasoning, but they don’t tell you that they are testing the fundamental and core qualities of being an academic. This is not only a chance to build an effective study strategy, but it is an opportunity to develop a healthy, lifestyle that works for you. This is not an exam to cram for, and I cannot stress how important it is to be able to function at your best throughout this enduring process. Be active, be social, be happy. Work out, stay in touch with your friends, do what you enjoy, but remember to do this in moderation. This is going to be your lifestyle, embrace it. When test day comes, you will still be functioning at your best, and you will do your best. That is all you can ask for.

Scores:

PA – 22
QR – 20
RC – 22
BIO – 23
GC – 28
OC – 26
TS – 25
AA – 24

Study Schedule + Materials

I spent the first half doing content review, which consisted of reading through a chapter of Cliff’s and Feralis daily, and a few videos of Chad’s gen and orgo chem videos.

Second half of my studies consisted of practicing and applying the material. I started with doing about 40 Bio, 30 gen and orgo chem, and 30 QR questions daily. I went through Destroyer another two times to drill the information in and averaged about 100 BIO, 70 GC and OC, and one Math Destroyer test a day. I would spend the remainder of each day doing perceptual ability practice on Bootcamp and reviewing my weak areas. For me it was really important to touch each topic at least once in the day to keep familiar with it. Towards my end of the studies a few weeks before the exam I would add in full length Bootcamp Tests, and then followed with the 2007 and 2009 ADA exams.

I can go on for days about how great all of these resources were, but I do not have much to chime in on that wasn’t already previously said by other DAT Breakdowns, so I’d like to keep it brief for your sake. I would still like to thank @orgoman22 for the great work with the DAT Destroyer books and @Ari Rezaei and @FeralisExtremum for Bootcamp and the Notes.

Test Day:
NS
Keep calm and stay focused. Did I? No. Throughout the sciences the so-called noise cancelling headphones amplified the sound of my heart beating out of my chest. I couldn’t help but think that I was going to be the bearer of bad news when the exam was done, but I tried my best to refrain from thinking that way and moved on.

PA
Perceptual Ability was very odd compared to the Bootcamp practice that I had, and I began to notice impurities in the pictures that maybe weren’t even there. It could have been the distortion of image quality as it was stretched to a widescreen monitor or my own imagination playing tricks on me, but the proportions didn’t seem correct. There are many methods out there to succeed in PAT but the simplest always worked best for me. I’d switch from the Hill, Laptop, or Quick Glance methods for angles based on what felt right/comfortable, and made tally charts for Cube Counting. I didn’t use a grid for Hole Punching.

RC
Reading Comprehension was something that I feared, and knowing how anxious I was from the earlier sections I was worried I wouldn’t be able to focus. I would simply read the first question, and read the passage until I found the answer. I found myself reading the entire article once or twice but answering questions at that point became a lot less-hard. My articles were related to fiber optics, DNA mutations, and prions. I seemed to have benefited from the luck of the draw.

QR
I felt a sense of relief when I had reached Quantitative Reasoning, but that feeling dissipated as soon as I marked the first few questions without being able to solve them. I blanked at the worst time possible but somehow managed to catch up and complete those troublesome questions at the end of the exam.

Looking back on how I studied and performed on the exam, there is room for improvement. I wish I hadn't been so anxious throughout the exam, it was very mentally disabling. The days leading up to the test my nerves were starting to get to me, but it hit full throttle once I started the test. For this reason, my biggest recommendation is to walk through the exam doors with absolute confidence. Remind yourself of all the reasons that you deserve to do well on the DAT . Surround yourself with what pushes you to be the best you can be. The brain is a powerful organ, and when pushed to its limit, all the time spent studying prevails. Hard work does not lie when you are studying for DAT. Make the most of each day, and you will do well on this exam.

Best of luck to all those who are studying and if anyone has questions please feel free to ask! I’m very excited to be in a position where I can feel like I can give back and I would love to talk to anyone who needs it.

Practice Scores:
Bootcamp
BIO: 20/21/20/21/23
GC: 22/22/23/22/23
OC: 20/22/17/29/20
PAT: 24/21/21/18/20/20/20/21/19/21
RC: 18/19/19/22/20
QR: 19/20/19/19/20

ADA 2007 [BIO/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR]
24/21/28/23/17/22

ADA 2009 [BIO/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR]

24/30/27/23/16/18

Attachments

Last edited:

2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2014
Status
Dental Student
Wow congratulations! Do you mind posting all your practice test scores? Thanks for the breakdown!!

Reactions: bodmon

FloorMatt

2+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Wow excellent scores! How long did you study?

OP
bodmon
May 9, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Status
Pre-Dental
Wow congratulations! Do you mind posting all your practice test scores? Thanks for the breakdown!!
Thanks! I should have done that to begin with. Just added them to the break down, hope they are helpful. I ended up doing them about 2-3 weeks before my actual exam, then I went through them again (except RC) the week before.

Reactions: 510586

Endeross

2+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Thanks for the breakdown. Congrats on the scores. Did you get any rocks?

OP
bodmon
May 9, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks for the breakdown. Congrats on the scores. Did you get any rocks?
Yea I did. The rock Keyholes were somewhat manageable. The best way that I can describe it would be to imagine a crumpled piece of paper, but shaped into a rectangular prism. There's no way to prepare for them, but if you were to get one during the test I'd recommend eliminating answer choices as quickly as possible, then try to imagine if it would fit.

Reactions: Endeross

Endeross

2+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Yea I did. The rock Keyholes were somewhat manageable. The best way that I can describe it would be to imagine a crumpled piece of paper, but shaped into a rectangular prism. There's no way to prepare for them, but if you were to get one during the test I'd recommend eliminating answer choices as quickly as possible, then try to imagine if it would fit.
Lol it sounds so strange! Thanks for the recommendation

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER... Dr. Romano and Nancy
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
Firstly, I cannot express how grateful I am that SDN exists and I am thankful to the several people who contribute to this community. SDN did not only become my replacement for Facebook throughout my studies, but it was also a great support system that kept me current with other predentals who were in the same situation as I was.

Before I dive into the DAT breakdown, I want to say how doable this exam is. Doable does not on any circumstance mean easy, but it is something that will be achieved with hard work and dedication. This exam is by far the hardest exam I have written in my life, but in all honesty it was fair. As you know, they are testing natural sciences, perceptual ability, reading comprehension and quantitative reasoning, but they don’t tell you that they are testing the fundamental and core qualities of being an academic. This is not only a chance to build an effective study strategy, but it is an opportunity to develop a healthy, lifestyle that works for you. This is not an exam to cram for, and I cannot stress how important it is to be able to function at your best throughout this enduring process. Be active, be social, be happy. Work out, stay in touch with your friends, do what you enjoy, but remember to do this in moderation. This is going to be your lifestyle, embrace it. When test day comes, you will still be functioning at your best, and you will do your best. That is all you can ask for.

Scores:

PA – 22
QR – 20
RC – 22
BIO – 23
GC – 28
OC – 26
TS – 25
AA – 24

Study Schedule + Materials

I spent the first half doing content review, which consisted of reading through a chapter of Cliff’s and Feralis daily, and a few videos of Chad’s gen and orgo chem videos.

Second half of my studies consisted of practicing and applying the material. I started with doing about 40 Bio, 30 gen and orgo chem, and 30 QR questions daily. I went through Destroyer another two times to drill the information in and averaged about 100 BIO, 70 GC and OC, and one Math Destroyer test a day. I would spend the remainder of each day doing perceptual ability practice on Bootcamp and reviewing my weak areas. For me it was really important to touch each topic at least once in the day to keep familiar with it. Towards my end of the studies a few weeks before the exam I would add in full length Bootcamp Tests, and then followed with the 2007 and 2009 ADA exams.

I can go on for days about how great all of these resources were, but I do not have much to chime in on that wasn’t already previously said by other DAT Breakdowns, so I’d like to keep it brief for your sake. I would still like to thank @orgoman22 for the great work with the DAT Destroyer books and @Ari Rezaei and @FeralisExtremum for Bootcamp and the Notes.

Test Day:
NS
Keep calm and stay focused. Did I? No. Throughout the sciences the so-called noise cancelling headphones amplified the sound of my heart beating out of my chest. I couldn’t help but think that I was going to be the bearer of bad news when the exam was done, but I tried my best to refrain from thinking that way and moved on.

PA
Perceptual Ability was very odd compared to the Bootcamp practice that I had, and I began to notice impurities in the pictures that maybe weren’t even there. It could have been the distortion of image quality as it was stretched to a widescreen monitor or my own imagination playing tricks on me, but the proportions didn’t seem correct. There are many methods out there to succeed in PAT but the simplest always worked best for me. I’d switch from the Hill, Laptop, or Quick Glance methods for angles based on what felt right/comfortable, and made tally charts for Cube Counting. I didn’t use a grid for Hole Punching.

RC
Reading Comprehension was something that I feared, and knowing how anxious I was from the earlier sections I was worried I wouldn’t be able to focus. I would simply read the first question, and read the passage until I found the answer. I found myself reading the entire article once or twice but answering questions at that point became a lot less-hard. My articles were related to fiber optics, DNA mutations, and prions. I seemed to have benefited from the luck of the draw.

QR
I felt a sense of relief when I had reached Quantitative Reasoning, but that feeling dissipated as soon as I marked the first few questions without being able to solve them. I blanked at the worst time possible but somehow managed to catch up and complete those troublesome questions at the end of the exam.

Looking back on how I studied and performed on the exam, there is room for improvement. I wish I hadn't been so anxious throughout the exam, it was very mentally disabling. The days leading up to the test my nerves were starting to get to me, but it hit full throttle once I started the test. For this reason, my biggest recommendation is to walk through the exam doors with absolute confidence. Remind yourself of all the reasons that you deserve to do well on the DAT . Surround yourself with what pushes you to be the best you can be. The brain is a powerful organ, and when pushed to its limit, all the time spent studying prevails. Hard work does not lie when you are studying for DAT. Make the most of each day, and you will do well on this exam.

Best of luck to all those who are studying and if anyone has questions please feel free to ask! I’m very excited to be in a position where I can feel like I can give back and I would love to talk to anyone who needs it.

Practice Scores:
Bootcamp
BIO: 20/21/20/21/23
GC: 22/22/23/22/23
OC: 20/22/17/29/20
PAT: 24/21/21/18/20/20/20/21/19/21
RC: 18/19/19/22/20
QR: 19/20/19/19/20

ADA 2007 [BIO/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR]
24/21/28/23/17/22

ADA 2009 [BIO/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR]

24/30/27/23/16/18
Congratulations! bodmon :clap::clap::clap:

Excellent scores and thank you for the detailed breakdown, it will help a lot of students yet to take the DAT. You definitely slayed the DAT Beast and we are thrilled our materials were part of your DAT toolbox. Going through the DAT Destroyer twice is a big task but it paid off HUGE..

Thanks for giving back to the SDN community by sharing your DAT experience.

You will receive a lot of interview invites!

Wishing you the best in your journey to becoming a dentist.

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

OP
bodmon
May 9, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Status
Pre-Dental
Congratulations! bodmon :clap::clap::clap:

Excellent scores and thank you for the detailed breakdown, it will help a lot of students yet to take the DAT. You definitely slayed the DAT Beast and we are thrilled our materials were part of your DAT toolbox. Going through the DAT Destroyer twice is a big task but it paid off HUGE..

Thanks for giving back to the SDN community by sharing your DAT experience.

You will receive a lot of interview invites!

Wishing you the best in your journey to becoming a dentist.

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy
Thank you so much @orgoman22 ! I've always dreamed of getting your wonderful responses. Thank you for making all of this possible

Ari Rezaei

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2012
New York, NY
Status
Dental Student
Amazing scores! Congratulations on your success, and thanks for the detailed breakdown. It's clear you worked really hard to achieve this, hope you enjoy the rest of summer knowing you rocked the DAT (if you haven't started school already) :)

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER... Dr. Romano and Nancy
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
Thank you so much @orgoman22 ! I've always dreamed of getting your wonderful responses. Thank you for making all of this possible
:) It was all possible because of your hard work..we just pointed you in the right direction.

Jun 16, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
I have a question for you, how did you stop your test anxiety from getting the best of you on test day? Your scores are SOLID and I've been hitting similar BC scores so I'm hoping to do as well as you, god willing.

OP
bodmon
May 9, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Status
Pre-Dental
Amazing scores! Congratulations on your success, and thanks for the detailed breakdown. It's clear you worked really hard to achieve this, hope you enjoy the rest of summer knowing you rocked the DAT (if you haven't started school already) :)
Thank you for your reply, it really means a lot! Thankfully I've got two weeks left to enjoy :)
I have a question for you, how did you stop your test anxiety from getting the best of you on test day? Your scores are SOLID and I've been hitting similar BC scores so I'm hoping to do as well as you, god willing.
As cliche as it is, taking a few deep breaths to settle your nerves can make a huge difference. Check your pm!

Reactions: Ari Rezaei