This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Endoapp24

Do you feel lucky, punk?
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Holy shiiiiiiii, can't believe I'm done (*literally going through withdrawals as I write this). First off let me start by saying that I am not more academically gifted than you (yes you), and if I can do it you can too. I swear. You just have to put in A LOT of hours, put up with a lot of discomfort, and tough it out. Most of what I could say has been reiterated by others countless of times, so I'll try to cover the most important things I've learned and what I think will help you. Let's do this...

Bio: 22
-Thoughts about the exam: Easy questions covering a WIDE range of different topics. I've seen countless threads of people regretting spending their time studying from Cliffs rather than destroyer or vice versa. Honestly, it depends on the luck of the draw. I don't think I had a single Ddestroyer question on my exam, but I sure as hell don't regret doing it (3x, reading and writing out ALL details I didn't know like the back of my hand). Working those questions leads one to explore specific topics more in depth and those little tid bits of information you come by when trying to deepen your knowledge are what shows up on the DAT (I had four or five questions that I was able to answer because destroyer peaked my interest and I looked up more information about the topic online).
-Resources used: Bootcamp (2x), DAT destroyer (3x), Feralis (2x) (<------ hugeeeeeee help. Great way to quickly look up anything you've forgotten and solidify the fundamentals once you have some at least a superficial understanding), achiever tests 1-3 (2x), DATQvault (tests 1-10 3x)
-Last thoughts: Read, learn, and do questions but don't get carried away. You will see things on the exam you've never seen before and might have a question or two you'll miss simply because you don't understand what it's asking. Put in the time, but don't kill yourself over this.

Gen Chem: 29
-Thoughts: Did all of Chads QUIZZES on Chadsvideos.com 3x. Didn't watch his videos. Had a pretty decent background in gen chem at my university, and used his quizzes to solidify the details and learn the trick questions. Chadsvideos.com is FREE and an amazing resource. All of my gen chem questions were EASY and simply doing chads would've gotten me a 22+ BUT I'm sure there are harder versions of the exam which would require DDestroyer (which I did 3x). Easier than Bootcamp chem? Yes.
-Resources used: Bootcamp (2x), DAT destroyer (3x), chadsvideos.com for his quizzes (3x), chadsvideos.com PDF outline (countless times), achiever tests 1-3 (2x)
-Last thoughts: THIS and ORGO are the sections where hard work will earn you a 30. You can prepare for ALL the questions they may ask you by working the problems several times through.

Orgo: 30
-Thoughts: Not bad, on par with Bootcamp. I didn't know one reaction they asked about because they didn't use IUPAC nomenclature and went by the common name of the molecule. Overall definitely doable and getting a 30 is within reach if you know your reactions and mechanisms. I thought it was going to be a lot more specific and ask about the ending stereochemistry and have tricks like (KMNO4 cold vs. hot) but overall very basic. Once again, I'm sure there are harder forms and doing DDestroyer, Bootcamp, and Chadsvideos.com quizzes will save your butt.
-Resources used: Bootcamp (2x), DAT destroyer (3x), chadsvideos.com for his quizzes (2x), chadsvideos.com
PDF outline (countless times), achiever tests 1-3 (2x)
-Last thoughts: THIS and GEN CHEM are the sections where hard work will earn you a 30. You can prepare for ALL the questions they may ask you by working the problems several times through

Perceptual: 24
-Thoughts: like an easy bootcamp test. Patterns, hole punching, and cube counting were easy, angles were medium-hard, and TFE and keyholes were medium-hard. Keyholes were not proportional for the most part but had minor qualities that disqualified them from being the right answer. In cube counting I started hyperventilating because my answer for one of the cubes was higher than all of the answer choices and despite counting it 3x I still kept getting the same answer. Moral of the story: move quickly, mark, and come back. Don't wreck your score because you got bogged down by one question
-Resources used: Bootcamp (1-10 x2) and achiever (tests 1-3)
Last thoughts: work bootcamp everyday whether its generators or tests. By the end, I could do all the hole punches and cube counting within 11 minutes (record was 9) without missing a question. Work these problems until you're blue in the face. You can do better than a 24, I swear. It just takes A LOT of practice

Reading: 21
-Thoughts: Easier than expected! I stressed about this the most since this is more innate than learned. I quit halfway through most of my bootcamp tests because I got frustrated I wasn't reading/answering quick enough. When I depleted my resources I bought DATQvault and did ALL their tests (some of which were ridiculous). BUT, I learned timing and how to read quickly.
-Resources used: Bootcamp, DATQvault.
Last thoughts: Highlight, Highlight, Highlight. Anything that seems important. Any names, dates, obscure words, etc. If you can't find the answer within 30 seconds MOVE ON. You're not trying to get a perfect score, you're trying to make it through this section with time to spare. Trust me it's much better to have 5 iffy answers and be done with all the other questions, than have 5 or 6 questions to still answer with 3 minutes left to go. That's when the panic sets in and you start regretting spending your time on one/two questions you STILL aren't 100% certain on.

Math: 22
-Thoughts: MOVE QUICK. EASY questions but if you get stuck or waste 2 minutes on a weirdly worded question you're screwed. Question longer than 3 sentences? Mark, and click next. See a question asking you to set up some crazy system of equations? Mark, and click next. You want to get all the easy ones done quick and then move back to the hard ones with about 5 minutes left. Also, use your brain. Sometimes you can disqualify an answer based on logic. Sometimes you can guess and check. Sometimes you might work a problem 1/2 way and see that the answer still has to get bigger and only one answer choice meets that criteria. Little things like that will save you alot of time.
-Resources used: Bootcamp (1-10 and all the subject specific tests), DDestroyer (Not MATH).
-Last thoughts: You're not aiming for a 30. This is the least important section, but at the same time this one section can make you retake your DAT because you got bogged down by an answer choice. Answer ALL the easy ones, then go back and answer the medium ones, then the hard ones. Don't make this the reason for your retake.

Phewwwww.
Alright final notes:
Time spent studying: 4 months. Last two months were 8-12 hours per day. I worked, breathed, and lived the DAT. I didn't take breaks, and I didn't take time off. Why? Because I believe in hard work. I sacrificed a few friends, and a lot of parties. But its worth it. Knowing that you can cruise senior year and get interviews at most places is surreal. Is it better to dedicate 4 months to ruthless studying or test your luck and end up with a bad score that will bring you doubt, stress, and financial burden for the next 6 months?

Shoutouts to Feralis, Ari from Bootcamp, Chad for giving us all his glorious knowledge for FREE, and the DATdestroyer crew. Couldn't have done it without you guys. You guys helped make my dream a reality and gave the information I needed to succeed. I am truly, truly thankful.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 227
Reactions: 13 users
beastly scores,
what were your bootcamp scores? were they full length both times, or subject specific then full length?
which organic chemistry quizzes did you do on chads site? (ACS refresher?)

Reactions: 1 users
beastly scores,
what were your bootcamp scores? were they full length both times, or subject specific then full length?
which organic chemistry quizzes did you do on chads site? (ACS refresher?)

Bootcamp scores aren't going to be an accurate representation since I started with taking the subject tests right at the beginning of my studying. I then proceeded to write out all of the information I missed and research the topics more in depth (embryology was the biggest *****, and it didn't even show up on my exam.... also plants.... not a single question). This was right at the beginning where I just tried to cram as much material into my head as possible. After doing all the subject tests I did the full length tests to get the timing down.

Orgo quizzes: Yup, the ACS refresher. WAYYYY more in depth than you need BUT you'll know every trick in the book. Overall I'm very glad I went that in depth because at a certain point you can start deriving the end products simply based on your knowledge of the mechanism. If you do those quizzes 2x you wont miss a single reaction/mech question. Although I didn't get any lab questions, those would be questions you'll probably need DATdestroyer for.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As for Achiever test scores (2 weeks out)
Averages were Bio: 18, Chem: 19, Orgo: 21, PAT: 21, QR: 20, Reading: a 17 and a 14 (didn't even bother with the stocks passage lmao)

So much for bombing it, like you said on the thread of us taking it on Friday lol!! You absolutely killed it, great job!!

Do you think Qvault is worth the purchase for bio? Already have bootcamp, cliffs, feralis

Do you think Qvault is worth the purchase for bio? Already have bootcamp, cliffs, feralis

If you haven't gotten achiever I would get that instead. I had 2 questions that came from achiever directly and I think it was very valuable for the really small bio details you wouldn't catch just reading notes, and the pat and math sections were great. Doing achiever math will help you get the timing down like nothing else. Achiever pat will help you with tfe and patterns specifically. datqvault is the last thing I would get and that's if you can't average 16+ on achiever bio. I think getting a 16 avg is a pretty good indicator that you'll be able to get a 20 on the real bio

Did in anyway sort of form achiever help you with the pat section or was it strictly boot camp, and which one would you say was better solely for the pat

Holy shiiiiiiii, can't believe I'm done (*literally going through withdrawals as I write this). First off let me start by saying that I am not more academically gifted than you (yes you), and if I can do it you can too. I swear. You just have to put in A LOT of hours, put up with a lot of discomfort, and tough it....

Congrats are your scores! They are amazing. I can tell you really did work your tail off. Great breakdown too! It's helped me. I need some of your advice. I feel weak in Orgo but I am taking the DAT in one week. What would you advise I work on the remainder of the week? Chads quizzes, Destroyer, and/or Bootcamp? Not really sure I can fit Destroyer in there but I will certainly recommend it if you think its worth my precious..remaining...time I have left lol Please lmk!

Last edited:
Did in anyway sort of form achiever help you with the pat section or was it strictly boot camp, and which one would you say was better solely for the pat

Solely for PAT, bootcamp will get you a 22 or even higher (if you do EVERYTHING). Achiever for PAT alone isn't worth it imho but it does really help by giving hard TFE and tough patterns. The patterns I got on my DAT were easy, but the TFE was similar to bootcamps hardest. If you feel good about your sciences and math, just nail all the details in Bootcamp and you'll be solid. I wouldn't spend $70 on achiever for PAT alone.

Congrats are your scores! They are amazing. I can tell you really did work your tail off. Great breakdown too! It's helped me. I need some of your advice. I feel week in Orgo but I am taking the DAT in one week. What would you advise I work on the remainder of the week? Chads quizzes, Destroyer, and/or Bootcamp? Not really sure I can fit Destroyer in there but I will certainly recommend it if you think its worth my precious..remaining...time I have left lol Please lmk!

Thanks! One week out I would focus on solidifying your recall of all the end products of your reactions. That should be your primary concern as more likely than not around 25/30 questions will be just about knowing the end product. For this, DDestroyers pathways (at the beginning and in the middle of the solutions breakdown) and Chadsvideos.com PDF (free) are superb. They list out every reaction you could get tested on. If you get all those down and have extra time, then I would work on: 2. basic nomenclature (as you'll probably need this knowledge to answer 1 or 2 questions and even the basics will help you eliminate half the answer choices) 3. Which reactions react syn, anti, or have C+ shifts 4. lab basics (what it means to extract, distill, TLC, decant etc. <---- bootcamp covers all these in their practice tests for orgo). Don't worry about the Destroyer problems specifically since the majority of the test is very easy recall of final end products (I finished my orgo section in about 10 mins)

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks! One week out I would focus on solidifying your recall of all the end products of your reactions. That should be your primary concern as more likely than not around 25/30 questions will be just about knowing the end product. For this, DDestroyers pathways (at the beginning and in the middle of the solutions breakdown) and Chadsvideos.com PDF (free) are superb. They list out every reaction you could get tested on. If you get all those down and have extra time, then I would work on: 2. basic nomenclature (as you'll probably need this knowledge to answer 1 or 2 questions and even the basics will help you eliminate half the answer choices) 3. Which reactions react syn, anti, or have C+ shifts 4. lab basics (what it means to extract, distill, TLC, decant etc. <---- bootcamp covers all these in their practice tests for orgo). Don't worry about the Destroyer problems specifically since the majority of the test is very easy recall of final end products (I finished my orgo section in about 10 mins)

Great! Thanks so much! This really helps me out. Appreciate it! Btw, I am pretty weak with QR as well. You would say Bootcamp is enough to get by, right? As in, the types of problems you see there will basically be the ones you will see on the exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
Great! Thanks so much! This really helps me out. Appreciate it! Btw, I am pretty weak with QR as well. You would say Bootcamp is enough to get by, right? As in, the types of problems you see there will basically be the ones you will see on the exam?

Yup. Just nail the timing. It might seem like not knowing the formula for an ellipse or parabola will be your death sentence, but more likely than not its gonna be taking 3 minutes to solve that problem and missing 3 easy ones that will really hurt you.

10 MINUTES! Congrats you deserve it.

does anyone know which one is better chad's videos on Coursesaver or the Chad's Videos on his website. I know they are differently structured but I wanted to see if anyone had heard anything or if its just preference.

Wow, great scores! Do you have any advice on the RC section? Like you said, I am not aiming for a 30. I am just trying to get by in this section but I do want to score a minimum of 20. I am not a horrible reader but I am slow. I have been mapping the articles first and then answering questions. I have done 2 qvault exams and 2 dat bootcamp exams and my scores are 18, 19, 16, 15, respectively. Do you have any advice? My problem is I never have time for the third article.

Wow, great scores! Do you have any advice on the RC section? Like you said, I am not aiming for a 30. I am just trying to get by in this section but I do want to score a minimum of 20. I am not a horrible reader but I am slow. I have been mapping the articles first and then answering questions. I have done 2 qvault exams and 2 dat bootcamp exams and my scores are 18, 19, 16, 15, respectively. Do you have any advice? My problem is I never have time for the third article.

My approach was to just highlight anything important as I read while also keeping the question in mind. if I saw the answer id slow down and read that section more in depth. I didn't map or use my scratch sheets. I moved quick and if I couldn't answer in 45 seconds id skip it and move on

With a 3.9 GPA its amazing you didn't get higher!! Awesome score, best of luck in applying!

Congrats on earning such great scores! I'm taking my DAT at the end of this month. Do you recommend doing Chad's quizzes? I'm using Bootcamp, Destroyer, qvault, & DAT Booster. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats on earning such great scores! I'm taking my DAT at the end of this month. Do you recommend doing Chad's quizzes? I'm using Bootcamp, Destroyer, qvault, & DAT Booster. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I only used chadsvideos.com quizzes as they were (and still are!) free. I found them to be very valuable in offering tons of different problems you may see, while also helping to reinforce the concepts you need to know. In addition, there were some really good trick questions that I could see showing up on other dats. if your not horribly pressed on time I would at least recommend doing half the problems and reading the solutions of the other half... that way you'd get your practice in 1/2 the time

Holy shiiiiiiii, can't believe I'm done (*literally going through withdrawals as I write this). First off let me start by saying that I am not more academically gifted than you (yes you), and if I can do it you can too. I swear. You just have to put in A LOT of hours, put up with a lot of discomfort, and tough it out. Most of what I could say has been reiterated by others countless of times, so I'll try to cover the most important things I've learned and what I think will help you. Let's do this...

Bio: 22
-Thoughts about the exam: Easy questions covering a WIDE range of different topics. I've seen countless threads of people regretting spending their time studying from Cliffs rather than destroyer or vice versa. Honestly, it depends on the luck of the draw. I don't think I had a single Ddestroyer question on my exam, but I sure as hell don't regret doing it (3x, reading and writing out ALL details I didn't know like the back of my hand). Working those questions leads one to explore specific topics more in depth and those little tid bits of information you come by when trying to deepen your knowledge are what shows up on the DAT (I had four or five questions that I was able to answer because destroyer peaked my interest and I looked up more information about the topic online).
-Resources used: Bootcamp (2x), DAT destroyer (3x), Feralis (2x) (<------ hugeeeeeee help. Great way to quickly look up anything you've forgotten and solidify the fundamentals once you have some at least a superficial understanding), achiever tests 1-3 (2x), DATQvault (tests 1-10 3x)
-Last thoughts: Read, learn, and do questions but don't get carried away. You will see things on the exam you've never seen before and might have a question or two you'll miss simply because you don't understand what it's asking. Put in the time, but don't kill yourself over this.

Gen Chem: 29
-Thoughts: Did all of Chads QUIZZES on Chadsvideos.com 3x. Didn't watch his videos. Had a pretty decent background in gen chem at my university, and used his quizzes to solidify the details and learn the trick questions. Chadsvideos.com is FREE and an amazing resource. All of my gen chem questions were EASY and simply doing chads would've gotten me a 22+ BUT I'm sure there are harder versions of the exam which would require DDestroyer (which I did 3x). Easier than Bootcamp chem? Yes.
-Resources used: Bootcamp (2x), DAT destroyer (3x), chadsvideos.com for his quizzes (3x), chadsvideos.com PDF outline (countless times), achiever tests 1-3 (2x)
-Last thoughts: THIS and ORGO are the sections where hard work will earn you a 30. You can prepare for ALL the questions they may ask you by working the problems several times through.

Orgo: 30
-Thoughts: Not bad, on par with Bootcamp. I didn't know one reaction they asked about because they didn't use IUPAC nomenclature and went by the common name of the molecule. Overall definitely doable and getting a 30 is within reach if you know your reactions and mechanisms. I thought it was going to be a lot more specific and ask about the ending stereochemistry and have tricks like (KMNO4 cold vs. hot) but overall very basic. Once again, I'm sure there are harder forms and doing DDestroyer, Bootcamp, and Chadsvideos.com quizzes will save your butt.
-Resources used: Bootcamp (2x), DAT destroyer (3x), chadsvideos.com for his quizzes (2x), chadsvideos.com
PDF outline (countless times), achiever tests 1-3 (2x)
-Last thoughts: THIS and GEN CHEM are the sections where hard work will earn you a 30. You can prepare for ALL the questions they may ask you by working the problems several times through

Perceptual: 24
-Thoughts: like an easy bootcamp test. Patterns, hole punching, and cube counting were easy, angles were medium-hard, and TFE and keyholes were medium-hard. Keyholes were not proportional for the most part but had minor qualities that disqualified them from being the right answer. In cube counting I started hyperventilating because my answer for one of the cubes was higher than all of the answer choices and despite counting it 3x I still kept getting the same answer. Moral of the story: move quickly, mark, and come back. Don't wreck your score because you got bogged down by one question
-Resources used: Bootcamp (1-10 x2) and achiever (tests 1-3)
Last thoughts: work bootcamp everyday whether its generators or tests. By the end, I could do all the hole punches and cube counting within 11 minutes (record was 9) without missing a question. Work these problems until you're blue in the face. You can do better than a 24, I swear. It just takes A LOT of practice

Reading: 21
-Thoughts: Easier than expected! I stressed about this the most since this is more innate than learned. I quit halfway through most of my bootcamp tests because I got frustrated I wasn't reading/answering quick enough. When I depleted my resources I bought DATQvault and did ALL their tests (some of which were ridiculous). BUT, I learned timing and how to read quickly.
-Resources used: Bootcamp, DATQvault.
Last thoughts: Highlight, Highlight, Highlight. Anything that seems important. Any names, dates, obscure words, etc. If you can't find the answer within 30 seconds MOVE ON. You're not trying to get a perfect score, you're trying to make it through this section with time to spare. Trust me it's much better to have 5 iffy answers and be done with all the other questions, than have 5 or 6 questions to still answer with 3 minutes left to go. That's when the panic sets in and you start regretting spending your time on one/two questions you STILL aren't 100% certain on.

Math: 22
-Thoughts: MOVE QUICK. EASY questions but if you get stuck or waste 2 minutes on a weirdly worded question you're screwed. Question longer than 3 sentences? Mark, and click next. See a question asking you to set up some crazy system of equations? Mark, and click next. You want to get all the easy ones done quick and then move back to the hard ones with about 5 minutes left. Also, use your brain. Sometimes you can disqualify an answer based on logic. Sometimes you can guess and check. Sometimes you might work a problem 1/2 way and see that the answer still has to get bigger and only one answer choice meets that criteria. Little things like that will save you alot of time.
-Resources used: Bootcamp (1-10 and all the subject specific tests), DDestroyer (Not MATH).
-Last thoughts: You're not aiming for a 30. This is the least important section, but at the same time this one section can make you retake your DAT because you got bogged down by an answer choice. Answer ALL the easy ones, then go back and answer the medium ones, then the hard ones. Don't make this the reason for your retake.

Phewwwww.
Alright final notes:
Time spent studying: 4 months. Last two months were 8-12 hours per day. I worked, breathed, and lived the DAT. I didn't take breaks, and I didn't take time off. Why? Because I believe in hard work. I sacrificed a few friends, and a lot of parties. But its worth it. Knowing that you can cruise senior year and get interviews at most places is surreal. Is it better to dedicate 4 months to ruthless studying or test your luck and end up with a bad score that will bring you doubt, stress, and financial burden for the next 6 months?

Shoutouts to Feralis, Ari from Bootcamp, Chad for giving us all his glorious knowledge for FREE, and the DATdestroyer crew. Couldn't have done it without you guys. You guys helped make my dream a reality and gave the information I needed to succeed. I am truly, truly thankful.

Congratulations on these amazing scores! Job well done, you put in the hard work and it paid off HUGE! You didn't leave anything to chance and now you can sit back and enjoy your summer. Thanks for the shout out and I am glad you found our materials helpful.

Wishing you the best...

Nancy and Dr. Romano

Those are awesome scores! Congratulations!

What strategy did you use for reading comprehension and how did you make sure to finish all questions in time?

My approach was to just highlight anything important as I read while also keeping the question in mind. if I saw the answer id slow down and read that section more in depth. I didn't map or use my scratch sheets. I moved quick and if I couldn't answer in 45 seconds id skip it and move on

Hey dude, just curious, what did you do your final 2 days before the exam? Were you still testing or were you just reviewing old exams? Kept it to a pretty light review and took off the rest of the day? Trying to figure out what I should do, I have 2 days left lol Also were you pretty nervous entering the testing center? Or calm and cool like your Avatar (Clint Eastwood). I feel nervous, scared, and excited to take it. Idk, I don't feel ready but I am also ready to take the exam, if that makes any sense lol

Thanks in advance!!

Hey dude, just curious, what did you do your final 2 days before the exam? Were you still testing or were you just reviewing old exams? Kept it to a pretty light review and took off the rest of the day? Trying to figure out what I should do, I have 2 days left lol Also were you pretty nervous entering the testing center? Or calm and cool like your Avatar (Clint Eastwood). I feel nervous, scared, and excited to take it. Idk, I don't feel ready but I am also ready to take the exam, if that makes any sense lol

Thanks in advance!!

Lmao I wish I coulda been that cool and collected. I studied 10 hours both days and studied on my walk up to the testing center lol. That's just been me though. No matter how much I prepare, I always feel unprepared. I went over my mneumonics and gen chem/orgo in particular since I figured that the chances of studying anything that would appear on bio are fairly low.