DAT Breakdown - 25 AA, 26 TS 24 PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BADDS

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

First I would like to thank Jim Romano and Nancy Ritchie Steen. They truly care about your success and want the absolute best for you. The free math playlist with Professor Blois helped me a ton in my math review and the fact that it is free just goes to show how much Dr. Romano really cares about his students.

I took my DAT yesterday and I am very pleased with my results. I used the DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer and felt like they prepared me very well for the exam. The questions on the destroyer prepare you for any type of question you might see and they force you to really know the concepts required for success on the DAT. I solved all the questions in the DAT destroyer and they made sure that I had a very strong and holistic understanding of the sciences, which is exactly what you need for an exam that tests on a breadth of information. Don't be discouraged if you are struggling with Destroyer problems, instead, learn the concepts the questions are requiring you to know and practice the art of problem-solving so that you're ready for anything you might see on test day.

Learn the concepts in the destroyer and you will be successful on test day. Good luck!

Note: I also used DAT Booster and DAT Bootcamp for exam practice with exams and questions to make sure I was prepared for the time constraints of the exam + PAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• dat.png
    dat.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: 1 user
How did you study for OC? Do we have to memorize all reactions on textbooks? (like Francis Carey's Organic Chemistry)

Hello everyone!

First I would like to thank Jim Romano and Nancy Ritchie Steen. They truly care about your success and want the absolute best for you. The free math playlist with Professor Blois helped me a ton in my math review and the fact that it is free just goes to show how much Dr. Romano really cares about his students.

I took my DAT yesterday and I am very pleased with my results. I used the DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer and felt like they prepared me very well for the exam. The questions on the destroyer prepare you for any type of question you might see and they force you to really know the concepts required for success on the DAT. I solved all the questions in the DAT destroyer and they made sure that I had a very strong and holistic understanding of the sciences, which is exactly what you need for an exam that tests on a breadth of information. Don't be discouraged if you are struggling with Destroyer problems, instead, learn the concepts the questions are requiring you to know and practice the art of problem-solving so that you're ready for anything you might see on test day.

Learn the concepts in the destroyer and you will be successful on test day. Good luck!

Note: I also used DAT Booster and DAT Bootcamp for exam practice with exams and questions to make sure I was prepared for the time constraints of the exam + PAT.
Congratulations!! Fantastic scores! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you study for OC? Do we have to memorize all reactions on textbooks? (like Francis Carey's Organic Chemistry)
I used the DAT Destroyer and used the practice exams/questions on DAT Bootcamp and DAT Destroyer

I used the DAT Destroyer and used the practice exams/questions on DAT Bootcamp and DAT Destroyer
Thanks. do you think it's necessary to memorize all reactions for OC?

I have read every text book in the US, England, and India. The easiest book to read is the text by David Klein. No need to do the long problems, but it is written in an easy to understand manner. I have actually met Dr, Carey at the ACS meetings many times, and also love his book ! With that said, I would still stick with Klein. I would review the material and let it build your base. Hope this helps.
Dr. Jim Romano

Hello everyone!

Congratulations! Wishing you the best!....Nancy

Learn the reactions mentioned in Bootcamp. I personally reviewed my ochem notes from lectures then used Bootcamp to test myself.

Was this your 1st attempt? I'm studying for my 3rd attempt and I used bootcamp a while ago but now I've heard they made some major changes. I'm using booster rn and while it's been working I'm also a few weeks ahead of my schedule and thought of getting some more practice from bootcamp. Would you say it's worth getting a bootcamp subscription?

Was this your 1st attempt? I'm studying for my 3rd attempt and I used bootcamp a while ago but now I've heard they made some major changes. I'm using booster rn and while it's been working I'm also a few weeks ahead of my schedule and thought of getting some more practice from bootcamp. Would you say it's worth getting a bootcamp subscription?
Interested to see if others have opinions about this, but if you used a resource twice and it didn't work for you (whether it's BC or anything else), I think it's try to utilize a new resource. If Booster is working for you so far, that's good! But to make sure you really know the underlying concepts, just like OP said, it may be worth checking out the Destroyers to boost your studies some more. It would be really ideal if you could supplement all of the Booster practice tests (or whatever you are doing using it) with the content from the Destroyers! If you can avoid another retake, that would really be beneficial for your application in the future, so doing it right this time around is pretty vital.

Hope this helps some!

I am most worried about the math by far. I have an older math destroyer book (2014 i think?) that is totally fine right?
The QR section of the DAT changed back in 2017, so I think you will need a more updated book, personally. They removed most of the trig questions and added those tricky quantitative comparison questions. Plus, 2014 was already 8 years ago!

The QR section of the DAT changed back in 2017, so I think you will need a more updated book, personally. They removed most of the trig questions and added those tricky quantitative comparison questions. Plus, 2014 was already 8 years ago!
So it is actually 2018! That would be perfectly fine right?

So it is actually 2018! That would be perfectly fine right?
It's still a 4 year old book, so there will have been more questions added since then. But DAT update wise, it should be more on track. Really just comes down to if you want to gamble on not seeing whatever questions they have added since 2018!