DAT breakdown - 7/14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nartnad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I gotta show my appreciation for this forum... but I'll be brief...(I took the test on 4 hours of sleep...but here goes):

PAT 22 (97.2%)
QR 21
RC 19
BIO 21
GC 23
OC 24
TS 23 (97.7%)
AA 22 (95.4%)

With the exception of RC (damn bridges...), I couldnt be happier with my scores. Theyre definately a little higher than my practice scores. (I didnt take a DAT prep course, but I have connections...)

(Bio/GC/OC)
Kaplan Diagnostic 19/19/18 (RC18/QR19/PA20)
ADA Practice Test 23/30/30
TopscoreI 17/18/17 (RC23/QR18/PA25)
AchieverI 16/19/16 (RC22/QR20/PA20)
Princeton594 22/20/26
Princeton591 25/19/18
TopscoreII 19/19/21 (RC25/QR19/PA25)
KaplanII 19/19/20
KaplanI 23/19/20
AchieverII 17/18/17 (RC18/QR19/PA20)
KaplanIII 23/18/18
KaplanIV 25/20/25
TopscoreIII 21/19/21 (RC21/QR21/PA25)
Princeton593 24/24/18
KaplanV 20/20/18
AchieverIII 19/16/19 (RC--/QR21/PA20)

What else can I say? Do practice tests if you can get a hold of em.

Heres what I used:
-Kaplan Big Book
-Kaplan Small Book
-AP Cliff Bio
-Cliff DAT
-DESTROYER
-Old physio book
-Shaum's Organic Chemistry Crash Course Book
-GChem AND OChem videos by Chad ("coursesaver")

Tips:
-Take notes on everything you read
-When youre all done, type them up, print, and highlight
-Destroyer is a definite must for GC and OC (I went thru the whole book 2x)
-Make flash cards for the destroyer OC road maps and any reaction you see in Kaplan
-Check out the videos by Chad, I owe him...BIG TIME
-AP Cliff is a great supplement for bio
-Do NOT fail to get sleep. Way too important. I freaked out, so I had to rely on coffee to keep me awake. This made me go to the bathroom FOUR times in the middle of the test....not good.

What I wouldve done better:
-I shouldve bought CrackDatPat... I think I lost points on the angles.
-I shouldve practiced more RC (...but how?)

With that said, I hope you all do well. Use this forum as a resource for motivation. BTW, I studied about 2 months solid... Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nicely done! Thanks for the breakdown. What specifically about RC do you think you should've worked on more?

Not quite sure....there were a lot of inference questions on the bridges passage. I used the search and destroy method, and it seemed to have worked on the practice tests, but I felt like my timing was a little slow on the real thing. I was a little overconfident, so I skipped the RC sections on most of my practice tests...

Congrats !! Solid scores. Do you think Shaum's Organic Chemistry was helpful or its just a waste of time ? thanks!

Hmmm, I actually haven't started prepping for RC yet. So I guess the big thing was timing huh? Would you or anyone else reading this thread know any good sites with articles/passages we could read to practice? Thanks!

Congrats !! Solid scores. Do you think Shaum's Organic Chemistry was helpful or its just a waste of time ? thanks!

i like the book...its only about 4x6x1/3", so I got thru it in 2-3 days. Its a good supplement that I used when I wanted to look up a quick reaction or whatever. ...and it doubles as a great bathroom book :mad:

I have seen a couple of references to the video you mentioned, do you have a link for it?

I was wondering how did you spread out taking the practice test. Did you take them doing you last two weeks b4 the real exam. Everyday? Every other day or ...? also how many times did you go over destroy?

Thanks in advance!!!:D

went over destroyer 2 times...and went thru an additional 50 ochem/gchem before i decided to quit...

as far as practice tests go....i started taking them about a month away, once every 3 days, with the other 2 days devoted to destroyer/whatever

a week and a half away, i started to take them almost every day up until 2 days before the exam. the last day i devoted to notes