DAT Breakdown 8/16/16 [22AA/22TS/21PAT]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jenney

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally I did it!

Thank you so much @orgoman22 @hdkyu10 @fayevalentine @AintNobodyGotTimeForDAT for your advice and support. Much appreciated!

Here is my breakdown and I do have one question. I am an international student (F1 visa), My science GPA is 3.67, what is my chances to go to dental school? Should I only apply to private school?

Actual DAT:

I was not one of those who drew easy questions. I had difficult questions in biology, O Chem and QR. They were definitely more difficult than BC and 09 DAT sample test. So it depends on what kind of questions you have. But I guess the grading scale will also vary depends on the difficulty. So don’t give up and stay calm when you have difficult questions.

Biology 23

It took me around 25 min to finish this section in the real DAT, longer than my practice test. I marked 6-7 questions and thought that I may need to retake DAT and study for another three months. They are not that difficult when I went back and think about them. I made educational guess for those I was not sure. When I went back to check, if I don’t have good reason, I trust my first instinct.

Gen Chem 21

I really thought this section would be the highest point in my science since it is easier compared to Biology and O Chem (I have difficult problems in both sections). Apparently, the grading scale is different too. I have 2-3 questions about acid and base.

O Chem 23

I didn’t get any easy questions about SN2/SN1/E1/E2, which is so different from my practice test. Instead, I have one really complicated NMR questions and When I saw it and read through the question, I knew even if I spent time in solving this question, I probably couldn’t get it right anyway. So I chose to guess and then skipped to next question. I have a lot of specific reaction problems 2 to 3 steps like those in DAT Destroyer. (I think I may draw difficult questions compared to others.)

PAT 21

Key holes is time consuming. TFE is ok, maybe 2 are a little difficult. Angles are definitely easier than BC. Cube counting and hole pouching are easy and pattern folding is on par to BC.

RC 20

To me, this is the most challenging section since I am an international student. English is my 2nd language. I had 1 difficult passage which questions were not in order and 2 easier ones. I skimmed the passage really quick and S&D the questions.

QR 21

I am so lucky again to have difficult questions. Compared to destroyer, the values in my real DAT are more complicated and a calculator is necessary. During my practice test or destroyer, I never use calculator and scored around 24. However, I found it is not possible to avoid using calculator in the real test and it is time consuming so I didn’t have time to check my answers. I was too confident and not to guess any questions that I was not sure (I left them blank and thinking I will definitely go back to solve them.). Don’t make this mistake. If you are not sure, just guess and hit next.

Study time: Started on May 15th right before the final exam. ~ 3 months.

Material used:

Biology: DAT Destroyer, Cliff’s AP notes X1, Ferali’s notes, Alan’s notes

Gen Chem: DAT Destroyer, Chad’s video

O Chem: DAT Destroyer, Chad’s video

RC: Top score, BC, Crack DAT

PAT: Bootcamp

QR: Math Destroyer, Chad’s video

Practice Test score:

Subject: Test 1/Test 2/Test 3/Test 4/ Test 5/2007/2009

Bio: 25/25/23/26/20/20/21

Gen Chem: 24/28/26/30/27/26/20

O Chem: 27/29/30/29/26/30/21

PAT: 23/25/23/30/24/X/23

RC: 19/19/23/21/21/X/20

QR: 24/24/24/24/22/X/22

pm me if you have any questions and best luck to all of you!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• DAT unofficial score report.JPG
    DAT unofficial score report.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: 6 users
The DAT really does feel like a bit of luck is involved. But you made it.

Great scores with a GPA to match, I'm sure you'll get many interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey you did AWESOME!!! That reading score looks great :) Congratulations! You worked hard and it really shows.

Members don't see this ad :)
Grats on finishing! Awesome consistency! Great job on reading too considering you're a foreigner :)). It sounds like you got a hard test and bad luck in some sections :(. I feel your pain with math although I doubt I got the hard numbers you did.

Finally I did it!

Thank you so much @orgoman22 @hdkyu10 @fayevalentine @AintNobodyGotTimeForDAT for your advice and support. Much appreciated!

Here is my breakdown and I do have one question. I am an international student (F1 visa), My science GPA is 3.67, what is my chances to go to dental school? Should I only apply to private school?

Actual DAT:

I was not one of those who drew easy questions. I had difficult questions in biology, O Chem and QR. They were definitely more difficult than BC and 09 DAT sample test. So it depends on what kind of questions you have. But I guess the grading scale will also vary depends on the difficulty. So don’t give up and stay calm when you have difficult questions.

Biology 23

It took me around 25 min to finish this section in the real DAT, longer than my practice test. I marked 6-7 questions and thought that I may need to retake DAT and study for another three months. They are not that difficult when I went back and think about them. I made educational guess for those I was not sure. When I went back to check, if I don’t have good reason, I trust my first instinct.

Gen Chem 21

I really thought this section would be the highest point in my science since it is easier compared to Biology and O Chem (I have difficult problems in both sections). Apparently, the grading scale is different too. I have 2-3 questions about acid and base.

O Chem 23

I didn’t get any easy questions about SN2/SN1/E1/E2, which is so different from my practice test. Instead, I have one really complicated NMR questions and When I saw it and read through the question, I knew even if I spent time in solving this question, I probably couldn’t get it right anyway. So I chose to guess and then skipped to next question. I have a lot of specific reaction problems 2 to 3 steps like those in DAT Destroyer. (I think I may draw difficult questions compared to others.)

PAT 21

Key holes is time consuming. TFE is ok, maybe 2 are a little difficult. Angles are definitely easier than BC. Cube counting and hole pouching are easy and pattern folding is on par to BC.

RC 20

To me, this is the most challenging section since I am an international student. English is my 2nd language. I had 1 difficult passage which questions were not in order and 2 easier ones. I skimmed the passage really quick and S&D the questions.

QR 21

I am so lucky again to have difficult questions. Compared to destroyer, the values in my real DAT are more complicated and a calculator is necessary. During my practice test or destroyer, I never use calculator and scored around 24. However, I found it is not possible to avoid using calculator in the real test and it is time consuming so I didn’t have time to check my answers. I was too confident and not to guess any questions that I was not sure (I left them blank and thinking I will definitely go back to solve them.). Don’t make this mistake. If you are not sure, just guess and hit next.

Study time: Started on May 15th right before the final exam. ~ 3 months.

Material used:

Biology: DAT Destroyer, Cliff’s AP notes X1, Ferali’s notes, Alan’s notes

Gen Chem: DAT Destroyer, Chad’s video

O Chem: DAT Destroyer, Chad’s video

RC: Top score, BC, Crack DAT

PAT: Bootcamp

QR: Math Destroyer, Chad’s video

Practice Test score:

Subject: Test 1/Test 2/Test 3/Test 4/ Test 5/2007/2009

Bio: 25/25/23/26/20/20/21

Gen Chem: 24/28/26/30/27/26/20

O Chem: 27/29/30/29/26/30/21

PAT: 23/25/23/30/24/X/23

RC: 19/19/23/21/21/X/20

QR: 24/24/24/24/22/X/22

pm me if you have any questions and best luck to all of you!:)
:claps:Congratulations! Fantastic scores and reading a 20 is amazing for a student that English is a 2nd language. Great scores in the Chem's and Bio and you even managed a great score in QR. You will not have a problem receiving interviews with these scores and your GPA.

So proud of you! You did it!

Wishing you the best...

Nancy

:claps:Congratulations! Fantastic scores and reading a 20 is amazing for a student that English is a 2nd language. Great scores in the Chem's and Bio and you even managed a great score in QR. You will not have a problem receiving interviews with these scores and your GPA.

So proud of you! You did it!

Wishing you the best...

Nancy
Thank you for your invaluable advice and support. :)

Grats on finishing! Awesome consistency! Great job on reading too considering you're a foreigner :)). It sounds like you got a hard test and bad luck in some sections :(. I feel your pain with math although I doubt I got the hard numbers you did.
Thank you! With a calculator, time flies and I do think it is better to calculate without a calculator. Not sure why knowing how to use calculator fast can be a way to test student's math ability. Maybe finger dexterity?;)

The DAT really does feel like a bit of luck is involved. But you made it.

Great scores with a GPA to match, I'm sure you'll get many interviews.
Thank you! I think if you work hard, even you are not that lucky. You will still get a fine score. :)