DAT Breakdown 9/24/15 (24 AA, 24 TS, 24 PAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goutamk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I wanted to post a short breakdown since reading those on SDN helped me prepare for it. My scores are
PAT- 24
QR- 25
RC- 22
BIO- 23
GCHEM- 26
OCHEM- 24
TS- 24
AA- 24

I just graduated from UC as a Human Bio major and am planning on applying next cycle. I used Ari's 10 week study schedule with a few changes such as combining multiple chapters a day if I was comfortable with the content. After content review, when the DAT Destroyer started being used, I went through 100 problems each day for each section so that I could get through it faster. After doing this, I started taking 1 DAT Q Vault test a day (there are 10) and reviewing it the same day. Did another round of Destroyer and started reading 1 Ch from Feralis notes too. Three days before the test I went through 1 subject per day from DAT Destroyer and the day before the exam I went through all the DAT Q Vault bio questions.

Bio- DAT BC (10/10), DAT Q Vault (10/10), Feralis Notes (9/10), and DAT Destroyer (9/10). To learn the content I would use Cliff's bio and supplement weak sections (anatomy) with Feralis. I also had the Barron's AP Bio book but it had errors so I didn't want to use it as a result. DAT BC was a great tool in learning what I was weak in, but I think DAT Q Vault was better in terms of mimicking the actual questions seen. Most of my questions were pure fact based and I didn't have any application types or terms I never heard about. DAT Destroyer, while it may seem random at times, has quite a bit of content that helps on the actual exam; I'd recommend going over all the answer options. Averaged 70% on Destroyer, 21 BC, and 23 Q Vault.

Gen Chem- DAT BC (10/10), DAT Q Vault (6/10), and DAT Destroyer (10/10). Questions were very simple because you only had to set the problems up and not do all the calculations (except like two). Even for the calculation based questions you can avoid it if you are good with concepts, which eliminates all but the right answer. BC is a very similar to the actual exam, Destroyer is way too hard but I'd use it to make sure you know the content, and Q Vault was not that helpful for it besides the lab sections. If you understand Chad's Videos and can get through Destroyer/BC you should score 20+. Averaged 80% on Destroyer, 26 BC, and 28 Q Vault.

Ochem- DAT BC (10/10), DAT Q Vault (3/10), and DAT Destroyer (10/10). Chad's Videos with Destroyer/BC. Questions were very similar to BC once again and had a few tricky ones. MAKE SURE TO READ THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY. Destroyer overall is way too hard but a few concepts only covered on it showed up on my exam. Averaged 70% on Destroyer, 24 on BC, and 24 on Q Vault.

PAT- DAT BC (11/10) and DAT Q Vault (8/10). The best way to use BC is to read the explanations after taking the test so you can see the little tricks that are ESSENTIAL to do well on the real thing. DAT Q Vault was much easier after using DAT BC and I mainly used this Q Vault section to get down timing more than anything. Averaged 19 on BC and 24 on Q Vault.
In terms of the actual test the Keyholes are harder than BC. My first two questions had rocks on it and at that point I really wanted to be a geologist. I ended up putting C for all Keyholes then came back to it at the end. TFE was the same as BC and knowing when to use solid/dashed/no line is key to getting them right, so learn that when using BC. Angles was what I was worried about, but they were SO MUCH EASIER than BC. A few were 3 degrees different but they were oriented in a way that you could compare them with parallel line technique. Hole punching was harder than BC in that you didn't know where the punch was. I just used the answer choices to know where they made the punch which made it easier. Cube counting and Pattern folding were really easy, they were similar to BC.

Reading- DAT BC (10/10) and DAT Q Vault (8/10). Not an avid reader so I read the articles on BC's site every day. DAT BC had a bunch of is this statement/reason true questions and many showed up on my test. On the test I numbered 1-20 and wrote a few notes on each paragraph. The length was not as long and was more similar to that of Q Vault. Q Vault was more search and destroy which is why I gave it an 8. Averaged 19 on BC and 22 on Q Vault.

QR- DAT Math Destroyer (10/10) and DAT BC (8/10). I though that BC was much harder than the actual things, but some questions on it (not covered in math destroyer) showed up on my test so without it I wouldn't have done as well. The difficulty was slightly easier than DAT Math Destroyer if you were wondering. Averaged -4 on Math Destroyer and 24 on BC.

2007 and 2009 tests- I thought that the sciences for both test were similar to the actual thing, reading was much harder on 2009 and easier on 2007, PAT was eerily similar to 2009, and QR was too hard on 2009 but similar to 2007.

TLDR- Learned content with Cliffs and supplemented weak sections with Feralis, used Ari's 10 week study schedule, did DAT Destroyer 3 times (a necessary evil), and used DAT Q Vault.

If anyone has any questions please message me. I am also selling my Q Vault subscription, which expires the end of next month.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Averaged -4 on Math Destroyer and 24 on BC.

Wow, what a turnaround! You averaged -4 on Math Destroyer, but managed to get 25 on the real DAT? Math Destroyer sure did destroy ya, huh? :laugh: :p

But in all seriousness, congrats on your awesome score! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,
I wanted to post a short breakdown since reading those on SDN helped me prepare for it. My scores are
PAT- 24
QR- 25
RC- 22
BIO- 23
GCHEM- 26
OCHEM- 24
TS- 24
AA- 24

I just graduated from UC as a Human Bio major and am planning on applying next cycle. I used Ari's 10 week study schedule with a few changes such as combining multiple chapters a day if I was comfortable with the content. After content review, when the DAT Destroyer started being used, I went through 100 problems each day for each section so that I could get through it faster. After doing this, I started taking 1 DAT Q Vault test a day (there are 10) and reviewing it the same day. Did another round of Destroyer and started reading 1 Ch from Feralis notes too. Three days before the test I went through 1 subject per day from DAT Destroyer and the day before the exam I went through all the DAT Q Vault bio questions.

Bio- DAT BC (10/10), DAT Q Vault (10/10), Feralis Notes (9/10), and DAT Destroyer (9/10). To learn the content I would use Cliff's bio and supplement weak sections (anatomy) with Feralis. I also had the Barron's AP Bio book but it had errors so I didn't want to use it as a result. DAT BC was a great tool in learning what I was weak in, but I think DAT Q Vault was better in terms of mimicking the actual questions seen. Most of my questions were pure fact based and I didn't have any application types or terms I never heard about. DAT Destroyer, while it may seem random at times, has quite a bit of content that helps on the actual exam; I'd recommend going over all the answer options. Averaged 70% on Destroyer, 21 BC, and 23 Q Vault.

Gen Chem- DAT BC (10/10), DAT Q Vault (6/10), and DAT Destroyer (10/10). Questions were very simple because you only had to set the problems up and not do all the calculations (except like two). Even for the calculation based questions you can avoid it if you are good with concepts, which eliminates all but the right answer. BC is a very similar to the actual exam, Destroyer is way too hard but I'd use it to make sure you know the content, and Q Vault was not that helpful for it besides the lab sections. If you understand Chad's Videos and can get through Destroyer/BC you should score 20+. Averaged 80% on Destroyer, 26 BC, and 28 Q Vault.

Ochem- DAT BC (10/10), DAT Q Vault (3/10), and DAT Destroyer (10/10). Chad's Videos with Destroyer/BC. Questions were very similar to BC once again and had a few tricky ones. MAKE SURE TO READ THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY. Destroyer overall is way too hard but a few concepts only covered on it showed up on my exam. Averaged 70% on Destroyer, 24 on BC, and 24 on Q Vault.

PAT- DAT BC (11/10) and DAT Q Vault (8/10). The best way to use BC is to read the explanations after taking the test so you can see the little tricks that are ESSENTIAL to do well on the real thing. DAT Q Vault was much easier after using DAT BC and I mainly used this Q Vault section to get down timing more than anything. Averaged 19 on BC and 24 on Q Vault.
In terms of the actual test the Keyholes are harder than BC. My first two questions had rocks on it and at that point I really wanted to be a geologist. I ended up putting C for all Keyholes then came back to it at the end. TFE was the same as BC and knowing when to use solid/dashed/no line is key to getting them right, so learn that when using BC. Angles was what I was worried about, but they were SO MUCH EASIER than BC. A few were 3 degrees different but they were oriented in a way that you could compare them with parallel line technique. Hole punching was harder than BC in that you didn't know where the punch was. I just used the answer choices to know where they made the punch which made it easier. Cube counting and Pattern folding were really easy, they were similar to BC.

Reading- DAT BC (10/10) and DAT Q Vault (8/10). Not an avid reader so I read the articles on BC's site every day. DAT BC had a bunch of is this statement/reason true questions and many showed up on my test. On the test I numbered 1-20 and wrote a few notes on each paragraph. The length was not as long and was more similar to that of Q Vault. Q Vault was more search and destroy which is why I gave it an 8. Averaged 19 on BC and 22 on Q Vault.

QR- DAT Math Destroyer (10/10) and DAT BC (8/10). I though that BC was much harder than the actual things, but some questions on it (not covered in math destroyer) showed up on my test so without it I wouldn't have done as well. The difficulty was slightly easier than DAT Math Destroyer if you were wondering. Averaged -4 on Math Destroyer and 24 on BC.

2007 and 2009 tests- I thought that the sciences for both test were similar to the actual thing, reading was much harder on 2009 and easier on 2007, PAT was eerily similar to 2009, and QR was too hard on 2009 but similar to 2007.

TLDR- Learned content with Cliffs and supplemented weak sections with Feralis, used Ari's 10 week study schedule, did DAT Destroyer 3 times (a necessary evil), and used DAT Q Vault.

If anyone has any questions please message me. I am also selling my Q Vault subscription, which expires the end of next month.

goutamk, Congratulations!:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

You Destroyed the DAT Beast...You were armed with the right materials to face the DAT and your scores prove it! 24AA and 24TS is HUGE..You will have many interviews coming your way.

Yes, the DAT Destroyer is indeed challenging, "a necessary evil" as you stated;), but with hard work you managed to get through it and you reaped the benefit of high scores.

Thank you for the very detailed breakdown and study tips. The SDN community always appreciate feedback from test takers.

Wishing you the best..

take care....

Dr. Jim Romano and Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice job, some realllllllly high scores! Congrats on doing so well :)