DAT breakdown, Jan. 16th, 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So here's my DAT breakdown:

PAT: 23
QR: 21
RC: 19
Bio: 24
GC: 22
Orgo: 19
TS: 22
AA: 21

I spent 3 months studying for DAT, and usually around 10 - 14 hours a day. However, there were off-days as well where I was traveling and such. For the first month, I went over all of Chad's videos, Cliff's AP, and Fer's notes, and Math Destroyer once. For the second month, I went over all of DAT Destroyer once, yeah it was long. And near the end of my last month, I was doing 50 Orgo, 50 Chem, 100 Bio, and a test from Math Destroyer a day and repeat.

First of all guys, look at the screenshot of my notes of how I used DAT Destroyer.

I had everything in an Excel, and kept track of the ones I did right and wrong. After every run through of the Destroyers, I would mark the ones first. After I marked them, I would go through all the questions again one by one and compare my answers to see if I can still get the questions I got right the first time correct again, and see for the questions I got wrong on if I was just being careless or if I didn't understand the concept. And either way, I would then read the answer key, and go back to the question again, re-read the question and redo the problem and check the answer again. And the next time, I would cover the answer from the previous run and redo all of the questions, and highlight the ones I'm having trouble with. Also leave notes in another column of the Excel too.

I think that was a big part of how I got my score. Also, I didn't find the materials on any of those mock tests were that similar to the real DAT, the difficulty is somewhat similar though. DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer were spot on though. Get those 2, study hard and you are set, trust me.

Materials used: 2014&2015 DAT Destroyer (get them!), Math Destroyer (get it!), Cliff's AP bio notes (get it!), Fer's notes (get it!), Chad's orgo and chem videos (get it!), Topscore, 2007 DAT, DAT Question of the Day, KBB, and the Canadian DAT practice test

PAT: I didn't really spend that much time, only did the ones from KBB, Topscore, and Canadian DAT test. However, there are tons of good tutorials on youtube on cube counting, hole punch, and angle ranking which really helped me. I thought this section was hard, had to guess on some, but I guess I had lucky guesses :) I finished this section with 10 mins left. For PAT, and even the entire DAT, I feel like knowing which ones to eliminate is almost as important as being able to figure out which one is the correct answer. For PAT, I don't go about figuring out which one is right, but which ones are wrong.

QR: I did the QR in DAT Destroyer and 2014 Math Destroyer twice, there wasn't one question I didn't know how to do... But by looking at the score... I guess I must've made lots of silly mistakes :s I finished this section with 10 mins left.

Bio, GC, Orgo: DAT Destroyer again, I went over the bio section twice, GC 4 times, and Orgo 5 times. I know I did well in Bio, but I thought Orgo was easier than GC... However, my scores proved me wrong again... I finished this section with 20 mins left.

RC: Like PAT, I didn't really spend that much time, only did the ones from KBB, Topscore, and Canadian DAT test. And I thought it was hard hah, lots to read, but I'm glad I got a 19 on it.

And last but not the least, I could not have gotten this score without the help from everyone on SDN, Nancy and Dr. Jim Romano (you guys are the best!), DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer and Prof. Mustapha Karmouni (from Orgoman). Study hard, spend your time on DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer, you will be fine in the 3 sciences and QR. Last but not the least, my mom as well for her endless support and food over this time :)

Please post here if you have any questions, and I will try to clarify things up for you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_20150116_170326.jpg
    IMG_20150116_170326.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 346
  • How to study.png
    How to study.png
    63.2 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations! Such a relief! I'm so happy for you
Can you give me some details about how you did on Topscore tests and how close they were to DAT?

I just took Topscore 2 and here is my break down :
PAT: 19
QR: 21
RC: 18
Bio: 19
GC: 18
Orgo: 18
TS: 18
AA: 18

My DAT was higher than I think all of my Topscores. Topscore and the real DAT focused on different things to ask almost I feel. If you did well on Topscore, doesn't necessarily mean you will do well on the real DAT and vice versa. But types of questions are somewhat similar. But if you go over DAT Destroyer multiple times, you will do well on DAT. DAT Destroyer is 100% geared for DAT. I had the same concern before this afternoon as well, but now you see the results :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! It was alot work because I had to relearn the stuff I learned almost a decade ago (I'm almost finishing up my PhD). But it was a very rewarding experience :) especially the moment your mark popped up on the screen, surreal :p

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats nickh! Very helpful breakdown to those taking the test soon. I like how you were organized.

Thanks:D Yeah, I wanted everyone to know that DAT Destroyer is not like Topscore, it's not a mock. It's a study material. So you have to use it like a book :)

Well done. Those are solid scores. Thank you for taking time and providing a very informative breakdown.

With scores like that I would definitely say it is your last time!! Congrats!

Hah, thanks! I surely hope so too. But with miserable undergrad marks like mine, nothing is certain hah :s

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice! I think I'm going to apply to buffalo, stony brook, marquette, pitt, temple, (after I take the DAT) do you have any suggestions maybe?

Hah, I'm actually from Canada, so I don't know too much about schools:p I think I will just apply to all private schools and hope for the best :)

I might apply to 2 Canadian schools, but I don't think I will have too much luck in Canada. They really focus only on your undergrad here :s

I know you posted a picture, and that this was a few of months ago, but could you go into more detail as to how you used excel for the DAT destroyer sections? I saw your post awhile ago and am about to start studying now... But am having trouble determining the best way to set up the sheets! Thank you :)

Hey, I updated my breakdown to go into more details of how I setup my Excel. Have a quick read and let me know if you have any more questions :) Good luck!

I know you posted a picture, and that this was a few of months ago, but could you go into more detail as to how you used excel for the DAT destroyer sections? I saw your post awhile ago and am about to start studying now... But am having trouble determining the best way to set up the sheets! Thank you :)

Hey, I updated my breakdown to go into more details of how I setup my Excel. Have a quick read and let me know if you have any more questions :) Good luck!

Hi! So was the update in this post (I went to classes in between so can't remember what you originally wrote, sorry!) or did you put it in another thread?
Either way, I guess I was just wondering about what the 5 green/red columns are... Are they all the same question for each row and then at the end you put your notes?
And what does the yellow mean?

Thanks!

Oh, the 5 red and green columns were for the time I went over DAT Destroyer and whether the questions were right or wrong. Yellows were for the questions I need to go over.

Oh, the 5 red and green columns were for the time I went over DAT Destroyer and whether the questions were right or wrong. Yellows were for the questions I need to go over.

Ok great! Thanks! Really big help esp. because all of this can be overwhelming.

Thanks for the excel!! So I know the 2015 Destroyer has more problems. How do I increase the number of problems and still retain all that color coding?

Thanks for the excel!! So I know the 2015 Destroyer has more problems. How do I increase the number of problems and still retain all that color coding?
I attached a link of the 2015 DAT & Math destroyer answer template. Just type in your answers on the left side and it will automatically mark it as correct/incorrect.

Attachments

• DAT+MATH Destroyer Answer Spreadsheet.xlsx
    106.5 KB · Views: 88
I attached a link of the 2015 DAT & Math destroyer answer template. Just type in your answers on the left side and it will automatically mark it as correct/incorrect.
Wow thank you so much. I'm getting destroyed in gc and oc my first run through sigh...