DAT Breakdown! (Non-traditional; 8/21/14; 24 AA, 25 TS, 25 PAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shonster460

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long-time lurker here. I cannot stress how much this community helped me prepare for this test. I did a lot of reading on these forums to see what resources to use and etc. I cannot thank you guys enough.

For some background, I work full-time under a research fellowship. I graduated in 2013 from a top 25 school and had been interested in medicine until I shadowed more and learned more about the vocation. So looking for some alternatives I tried observing dentists and have absolutely loved my shadowing experiences thus far.

So moving onto the breakdown...

PAT 25 (Bootcamp/ADA avg = 20.75)

This is going to be a common theme in this breakdown. Bootcamp is an invaluable resource! The things about Bootcamp is that all the questions can be asked on the real test, but the number of difficult problems on the Bootcamp tests is higher than what you would see on the actual test. This makes the actual test feel like a breeze. Do the problems and review them! I also did the first three achiever tests, which is more difficult than Bootcamp. It's good to do them because they will kick you in the butt, and again, make the real test feel easy.

My PAT section was fairly straightforward. Finished with ~10 minutes left, so I went back to angle ranking, which is my worst section. In my opinion, keyhole is harder on bootcamp, TFE is harder on bootcamp, angle ranking is comparable, hole punching is a lot harder on bootcamp, cube counting has always been easy for me (just takes practice to recognize which ones are 2's, 3's and 4's), and pattern folding is harder on bootcamp.

QR 26
(Bootcamp/ADA avg = 21.7)

Bootcamp is a great resource. Math destroyer is a great resource. Practice them. QR on the achiever tests are not too bad.

Again, actual test is easier than my practice exams. There were two difficult problems early on but once you realize you need to think more or need lots of calculations, SKIP the question. Time management is the key to doing well on this section. I surprisingly only skipped two problems, and I had about 10 minutes to tackle both, which I eventually figured out. Seems like I missed one, probably misread a question. Remember to answer what they ask for! Sometimes you do calculations for one part and select that answer (which is often a choice!) instead of answering the question.

RC 21 (Bootcamp/ADA avg = 19.8)

Reading comp has never really been my strong point in terms of standardized tests or academics. However, all the DAT RC really needs is a good reliable strategy that works for you. For me it was the mapping method. I would read the passage in full, while writing key words and the focus of each paragraph. This worked best for me on practice exams. Bootcamp does a great job. Achiever makes you go through hell, which makes the actual test feel better.

This section was very similar to my practice exams. Very straightforward questions. My average seems low because I was trying different strategies, but my average with the mapping method was 21.7. Finished in 55 minutes.

BIO 24 (Bootcamp/ADA avg = 21.5)

I studied for biology by first reading Cliff's during my downtime in the lab and after work. After that I started doing destroyer questions. I didn't end up finishing the bio section of destroyer but its a great resource to learn from. Bootcamp has great questions that are similar to the real test. Achiever is like destroyer, and the difficulty helps you prepare for the real thing.

My bio section was pretty straightforward. Nothing too crazy. Finished in 25 minutes. Looks like I missed two, which seems reasonable.

GC 23
(Bootcamp/ADA avg = 25.2)

General chemistry was probably my strongest section before I started studying (I do a lot of these calculations at work, in my head). I watched Chad's videos to make sure I covered all my bases and did destroyer questions. I didn't finish destroyer GC. Bootcamp again has similar questions that are great. Achiever is calculation heavy, but again, good practice to make the real thing feel better.

GC seemed pretty straightforward, although some concept questions threw me off. Probably got two of those wrong. Calculations were easy. Also took about 25 minutes.

OC 27
(Bootcamp/ADA avg = 24.5)

Chad's videos and Destroyer is what I started off with. Then I did some tests with Bootcamp and Achiever. Bootcamp is great. Achiever is hard.

Actual test was straightforward. Definitely some reactions you needed to know. I guess I got one wrong? Took about 20 minutes.

Important: The real test is similar in difficulty to the ADA 2009 sample test (except for the QR, which is a bit harder). Bootcamp is slightly more difficult in all sections, which is great preparation. Achiever is hard, but it's still good practice. Achiever is great because it forces you to manage your time with much harder questions. The Achiever tests are not representative but it definitely prepares you for actually taking the exam.

Study Schedule

So for those of you who work, it's definitely doable! I studied weeknights and weekends (probably 15 hours a week). Just make sure you learn the material and then practice practice practice. I started reading Cliff's in mid June, and went through Chad's videos in early July. Then I started destroyer problems from mid July. Early August I started Bootcamp and more destroyer (its a big book). I actually bought the 3-test Achiever set last week and did them over the weekend + Monday.

Destroyer helps you learn and tells you your weaknesses! Bootcamp is great for everything especially PAT, RC, QR! and Achiever is great for simulating testing conditions and giving you hell.
I am a firm believer in practicing more difficult questions/exams.

So there is is! Feel free to ask me any questions. This is all just my perspective on preparing and taking the DAT. SDN has helped me tremendously over the past few weeks, so I figured I would repay the favor and help some other pre-dents out. Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• DAT score.jpg
    DAT score.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 90
Thanks! Now I'm wondering if I should apply this cycle. It's already relatively late, but these scores are encouraging.

If you apply by the end of the month you may be able to get some pre December interviews. Awesome scores

Members don't see this ad :)
what were you 2009 ada scores like? i have my test tomorrow and i just took the 2009 one and got 25-bio 24-gen chem and 22-orgo. i did the 2007 ada one but that was just too easy. i haven't done QR PAT RC yet!! im just worried because my bootcamp scores were mostly around 19-21 range first time around and second time of course was higher (24+). i dont know where i lie because my BC and ada practice scores are completely different!!!!

what were you 2009 ada scores like? i have my test tomorrow and i just took the 2009 one and got 25-bio 24-gen chem and 22-orgo. i did the 2007 ada one but that was just too easy. i haven't done QR PAT RC yet!! im just worried because my bootcamp scores were mostly around 19-21 range first time around and second time of course was higher (24+). i dont know where i lie because my BC and ada practice scores are completely different!!!!

I got similar scores to you on the ADA exam. I think you're in good shape. Aside from the QR, I thought the 2009 test was very representative of what I took yesterday. Fairly straightforward questions mixed with some typical traps you would see on these standardized tests. By "traps" I mean answer choices that seem right but actually do not make sense once you think about it (you see a couple of these in Bio, PAT, and RC). None of the questions were too long or confusing.

My averages in my breakdown will tell you that Bootcamp tends to be slightly more difficult than the real exam. Bootcamp has a higher number of difficult questions, but each of those questions can be asked. I thought the real test had more questions that were fairly simple. In other words, the density of hard questions in the Bootcamp tests is a bit higher than the real thing. I think Ari has said that Bootcamp is designed to be a little more difficult, so that you are more prepared for the real test, and I believe him from my experiences. The differences you see in your 2009 ADA and Bootcamp is pretty normal, and its the results I saw too.

Don't stress out too much over your results. Seems like you're doing great. Try to take it easy for the rest of the day and relax a bit. The day before my test I lightly studied by looking over flashcards and doing some PAT questions over again on Bootcamp. Just get your sleep and then rock that test tomorrow. You'll do great. Good luck!

I got similar scores to you on the ADA exam. I think you're in good shape. Aside from the QR, I thought the 2009 test was very representative of what I took yesterday. Fairly straightforward questions mixed with some typical traps you would see on these standardized tests. By "traps" I mean answer choices that seem right but actually do not make sense once you think about it (you see a couple of these in Bio, PAT, and RC). None of the questions were too long or confusing.

My averages in my breakdown will tell you that Bootcamp tends to be slightly more difficult than the real exam. Bootcamp has a higher number of difficult questions, but each of those questions can be asked. I thought the real test had more questions that were fairly simple. In other words, the density of hard questions in the Bootcamp tests is a bit higher than the real thing. I think Ari has said that Bootcamp is designed to be a little more difficult, so that you are more prepared for the real test, and I believe him from my experiences. The differences you see in your 2009 ADA and Bootcamp is pretty normal, and its the results I saw too.

Don't stress out too much over your results. Seems like you're doing great. Try to take it easy for the rest of the day and relax a bit. The day before my test I lightly studied by looking over flashcards and doing some PAT questions over again on Bootcamp. Just get your sleep and then rock that test tomorrow. You'll do great. Good luck!
Ohh!!! Ok thats great to hear!!! Thank you so much!!! I got paranoid and thought maybe i got luck with the ada test and everything on the real test will be hard as hell! But ill take your advice on that!! Esp since you have amazing scores!!!!

I hope schools that you are applying to value your research experience as well as scores. Research experience should place you above others.

I hope schools that you are applying to value your research experience as well as scores. Research experience should place you above others.

Great! I hope so too. I've been working for more than a year now and have results that will eventually get published. It just takes a while for papers in my field to get pushed out (structure bio/biophysics). My PI appears to be impressed with my performance so I'll probably get a nice reference from him. I hope it's not too odd that my research is not related to dentistry. From what I read any research looks good, although having research in dentistry would be an advantage. Anyone else know more about this?