Dancerkoh

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Hey, everyone! I will start off with my actual DAT score and go from there...

Bio / GC / OC / PAT / RC / QR
20 / 21 / 19 / 23 / 19 / 20

AA 20 TS 20

First I would like to thank @Axiomatician for pushing me to always do my best, and for being there and taking the test with me! He has been an amazing support system and boyfriend. (Here is his breakdown: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/finally-my-21-aa-breakdown.1214271/ )I also would like to thank Nancy, @orgoman22 ,for the texts, phone calls, and prayers. I am so thankful for her and her genuine concern and the time and advice she gave me. It means more than she knows.

What did I use?

Well, I started, like many, by going off of Ari's study guide. I bought Coursesaver, and I watched Chad's videos. I watched ALL OF THEM. I took every single quiz Ari said to(basically, all of them) and kept taking it until I did well and understood it. I actually really liked Chad's style and teaching, but just watching the videos and doing the short quizzes was just a little too much passive learning than I needed personally. I need to be able to work problems, take notes BY HAND, and be in a more classroom setting to do better.

In the meantime, while I was still watching Chad's and reviewing, I read all of Cliff's AP Bio and made handwritten notes over each chapter, referring to Ferali's when I felt I needed more knowledge on a particular topic. Moreover, I piddled around with my DAT Bootcamp and practiced PAT and read science articles each day. I also purchased DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer. (THIS IS SO IMPORTANT! SO SO SO IMPORTANT FOR SUCCESS!)

So, once I reviewed and felt ready, I began working in both Destroyers and let me tell you. I didn't believe people enough on here that it would DESTROY YOU. I missed over 50% of the problems I did the first time though on Bio, GC, and OC. I began to worry, doubt myself, and wonder why I was doing so terrible when I have a 4.0 GPA overall and science...

But, lo and behold, I reviewed every single question that I didn't understand completely and made notes--whether I missed it or not! By the second time through the Destroyer I noticed my progress. I was learning slowly but surely and becoming more comfortable with the consistent difficult problems and tricks being thrown at me. I only went through Bio all the way twice, but I went through both Gen Chem and Organic three full times. I reviewed each time and made a complete new set of notes and notecards. I was only missing on average about 85% of both chemistries by this point, a significant improvement from the first time. I also went through Math Destroyer all the way one full time, and the second time I only went through test 10 and timed myself each time.

About two and a half weeks before my test day, I began taking the DBC full length tests.
Here are my scores and average for all of those:

FL 1: 25 / 30 / 20 / 23 / 17* / 17
FL 2: 25 / 24 / 22 / 24 / 16* / 19
FL 3: 18 / 30 / 21 / 21 / 19 / 19
FL 4: 21 / 22 / 24 / 21 / 23 / 19
FL 5: 19 / 20 / 23 / 20 / 20 / 20
Avg of all: 22/ 26 / 22 / 22 / 19 / 19 / 22 AA / 23 TS

(*For these two RC scores I had not yet figured out what method works for me)

After each of the tests, I did the same as destroyer and reviewed ones I missed as well as ones I wasn't sure of...

I even took 2007 and 2009... Unlike most people that seem to post on SDN, I thought they were challenging.
My scores were as follows:

2007: 18 / 19 / 19 / 21 / 16* / 21 *I was extremely interrupted during this one.
2009: 21 / 21 / 19 / 24 / 20 / 20
((**Let me just bring attention to how SCARILY SPOT ON the 2009 scores were to my real scores... each one is either the exact same score or one point difference!!!**))

I am the type of test taker that will second guess and overthink way too much. So, I'm guessing after going through so much destroyer, I was so used to thinking higher level and having tricks thrown at me, that when I did take the tests that people say are "easier," I was overthinking questions and changing my mind much more than usual. Another problem I have is taking way too long per question and running out of time (which practicing on DBC did help with some).

Here is what I think about each separate section (trying not to make it too long, though):

Biology:
I think that making sure you are working on BREADTH over DEPTH in this section is the best way to get a higher score. On my DAT, I felt okay about the Bio section, and I didn't see any question that I hadn't at least been exposed to a little in destroyer. I did come to a few where I had to guess 50/50 and I just went with my gut and what made the most sense logically to me. I think going through the destroyer two times was a good call for me, and using DBC as timing practice as well as different question practice was great.

Gen Chem:
I had a lot more trouble on this in the destroyer than I ever believed I would first time through. I had forgotten SO MUCH in the short year I haven't had just regular gen chem. Luckily, going through the destroyer three times made me a lot more confident in the calculations and conceptual ideas. I felt completely prepared to take on the real DAT on test day. I believe I could have even scored a lot higher, honestly, but making careless mistakes and overlooking simple things is so easy.

Organic:
Coming from a student who just finished a full year of Organic and made an A each semester, I was surprised at how many reactions I had not been exposed to completely (what I mean is, I'd learned basically one way to do a reaction and that's it, when in reality there are SO MANY MORE ways). But, I'm very glad that I learned so much more about the entire subject while studying because I truly find it interesting. As for the lab techniques, I had been exposed to all of them, but I did need brushing up on them, and using the PDF of Organic Lab techniques to know on DBC as well as going through destroyer was the best call for that.

PAT:
Okay, so I know many don't agree, some may even think I'm crazy, but I LOVED THIS SECTION!!
I have always thought about things in a way that really clicked with this section. I learned little tricks and techniques quickly and was able to plunge through this part without any trouble at all. Being crafty and artistic is a natural quality I seem to have, so this section was the one I stressed the least over.

RC:
I DREADED this section. Timed tests are already my enemy, but adding reading comprehension...:barf:
I am an extremely EXTREMELY slow paced reader. And when I know in the back of my head that I have to hurry because of a time constraint, it just makes it that much harder. I basically just quickly read the passage, tried to remember where certain topics that stood out were, and then would search and destroy as quick as possible. I really can't give any advice on this section. I just didn't feel very prepared for it and don't think I would have studying much more.

QR:
Well, as my boyfriend @Axiomatician mentioned, I really enjoy math. But this kind of math wasn't necessarily my forté. I enjoy calculus and multivariable type math. Anyway, I ran out of time on this section because I didn't pace myself well, so I ended up guessing on a lot at the end--probably just because by this point after all the studying and testing, I was literally just completely brain dead.

I think that the most important thing to remember is that, YOU ARE NOT A NUMBER OR A SCORE AND YOUR SCORE ON THE DAT DOES NOT DEFINE YOU OR HOW WELL OF A DENTIST YOU WILL BE!
Yes, I think that deserved all caps; no, not intended to be considered yelling.
You must remember to continually work your hardest, be kind, and keep your support system close at all times (whether it be your family, significant other, a teacher, friend, or the SDN community).

I want everyone who I've talked to before the test know how much I appreciate anything they've shared with me! Also, if anyone, ANYONE, has a question, please feel free to message me.

I can't tell you how good it feels to not have this over me anymore and to be done. :)

(P.S. I will update this if I think of anything else)

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Your GPA is awesome and nice job on the DAT too :). I get nervous too during tests. It's kinda hard to control :(

Reactions: Dancerkoh

orgoman22

Dr. Jim Romano DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
Hey, everyone! I will start off with my actual DAT score and go from there...

20 / 21 / 19 / 23 / 19 / 20

AA 20 TS 20

First I would like to thank @Axiomatician for pushing me to always do my best, and for being there and taking the test with me! He has been an amazing support system and boyfriend. (Here is his breakdown: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/finally-my-21-aa-breakdown.1214271/ )I also would like to thank Nancy, @orgoman22 ,for the texts, phone calls, and prayers. I am so thankful for her and her genuine concern and the time and advice she gave me. It means more than she knows.

What did I use?

Well, I started, like many, by going off of Ari's study guide. I bought Coursesaver, and I watched Chad's videos. I watched ALL OF THEM. I took every single quiz Ari said to(basically, all of them) and kept taking it until I did well and understood it. I actually really liked Chad's style and teaching, but just watching the videos and doing the short quizzes was just a little too much passive learning than I needed personally. I need to be able to work problems, take notes BY HAND, and be in a more classroom setting to do better.

In the meantime, while I was still watching Chad's and reviewing, I read all of Cliff's AP Bio and made handwritten notes over each chapter, referring to Ferali's when I felt I needed more knowledge on a particular topic. Moreover, I piddled around with my DAT Bootcamp and practiced PAT and read science articles each day. I also purchased DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer. (THIS IS SO IMPORTANT! SO SO SO IMPORTANT FOR SUCCESS!)

So, once I reviewed and felt ready, I began working in both Destroyers and let me tell you. I didn't believe people enough on here that it would DESTROY YOU. I missed over 50% of the problems I did the first time though on Bio, GC, and OC. I began to worry, doubt myself, and wonder why I was doing so terrible when I have a 4.0 GPA overall and science...

But, lo and behold, I reviewed every single question that I didn't understand completely and made notes--whether I missed it or not! By the second time through the Destroyer I noticed my progress. I was learning slowly but surely and becoming more comfortable with the consistent difficult problems and tricks being thrown at me. I only went through Bio all the way twice, but I went through both Gen Chem and Organic three full times. I reviewed each time and made a complete new set of notes and notecards. I was only missing on average about 85% of both chemistries by this point, a significant improvement from the first time. I also went through Math Destroyer all the way one full time, and the second time I only went through test 10 and timed myself each time.

About two and a half weeks before my test day, I began taking the DBC full length tests.
Here are my scores and average for all of those:

FL 1: 25 / 30 / 20 / 23 / 17* / 17
FL 2: 25 / 24 / 22 / 24 / 16* / 19
FL 3: 18 / 30 / 21 / 21 / 19 / 19
FL 4: 21 / 22 / 24 / 21 / 23 / 19
FL 5: 19 / 20 / 23 / 20 / 20 / 20
Avg of all: 22/ 26 / 22 / 22 / 19 / 19 / 22 AA / 23 TS

(*For these two RC scores I had not yet figured out what method works for me)

After each of the tests, I did the same as destroyer and reviewed ones I missed as well as ones I wasn't sure of...

I even took 2007 and 2009... Unlike most people that seem to post on SDN, I thought they were challenging.
My scores were as follows:

2007: 18 / 19 / 19 / 21 / 16* / 21 *I was extremely interrupted during this one.
2009: 21 / 21 / 19 / 24 / 20 / 20

I am the type of test taker that will second guess and overthink way too much. So, I'm guessing after going through so much destroyer, I was so used to thinking higher level and having tricks thrown at me, that when I did take the tests that people say are "easier," I was overthinking questions and changing my mind much more than usual. Another problem I have is taking way too long per question and running out of time (which practicing on DBC did help with some).

Here is what I think about each separate section (trying not to make it too long, though):

Biology:
I think that making sure you are working on BREADTH over DEPTH in this section is the best way to get a higher score. On my DAT, I felt okay about the Bio section, and I didn't see any question that I hadn't at least been exposed to a little in destroyer. I did come to a few where I had to guess 50/50 and I just went with my gut and what made the most sense logically to me. I think going through the destroyer two times was a good call for me, and using DBC as timing practice as well as different question practice was great.

Gen Chem:
I had a lot more trouble on this in the destroyer than I ever believed I would first time through. I had forgotten SO MUCH in the short year I haven't had just regular gen chem. Luckily, going through the destroyer three times made me a lot more confident in the calculations and conceptual ideas. I felt completely prepared to take on the real DAT on test day. I believe I could have even scored a lot higher, honestly, but making careless mistakes and overlooking simple things is so easy.

Organic:
Coming from a student who just finished a full year of Organic and made an A each semester, I was surprised at how many reactions I had not been exposed to completely (what I mean is, I'd learned basically one way to do a reaction and that's it, when in reality there are SO MANY MORE ways). But, I'm very glad that I learned so much more about the entire subject while studying because I truly find it interesting. As for the lab techniques, I had been exposed to all of them, but I did need brushing up on them, and using the PDF of Organic Lab techniques to know on DBC as well as going through destroyer was the best call for that.

PAT:
Okay, so I know many don't agree, some may even think I'm crazy, but I LOVED THIS SECTION!!
I have always thought about things in a way that really clicked with this section. I learned little tricks and techniques quickly and was able to plunge through this part without any trouble at all. Being crafty and artistic is a natural quality I seem to have, so this section was the one I stressed the least over.

RC:
I DREADED this section. Timed tests are already my enemy, but adding reading comprehension...:barf:
I am an extremely EXTREMELY slow paced reader. And when I know in the back of my head that I have to hurry because of a time constraint, it just makes it that much harder. I basically just quickly read the passage, tried to remember where certain topics that stood out were, and then would search and destroy as quick as possible. I really can't give any advice on this section. I just didn't feel very prepared for it and don't think I would have studying much more.

QR:
Well, as my boyfriend @Axiomatician mentioned, I really enjoy math. But this kind of math wasn't necessarily my forté. I enjoy calculus and multivariable type math. Anyway, I ran out of time on this section because I didn't pace myself well, so I ended up guessing on a lot at the end--probably just because by this point after all the studying and testing, I was literally just completely brain dead.

I think that the most important thing to remember is that, YOU ARE NOT A NUMBER OR A SCORE AND YOUR SCORE ON THE DAT DOES NOT DEFINE YOU OR HOW WELL OF A DENTIST YOU WILL BE!
Yes, I think that deserved all caps; no, not intended to be considered yelling.
You must remember to continually work your hardest, be kind, and keep your support system close at all times (whether it be your family, significant other, a teacher, friend, or the SDN community).

I want everyone who I've talked to before the test know how much I appreciate anything they've shared with me! Also, if anyone, ANYONE, has a question, please feel free to message me.

I can't tell you how good it feels to not have this over me anymore and to be done. :)

(P.S. I will update this if I think of anything else)

Thanks for reading!

:clap:Congratulations! You did it! You are totally correct when you stated "the DAT does not define you"..Scores vary, versions of the DAT vary, many factors can affect test scores. You are a fantastic student, your 4.o GPA proves that. Dental schools look at the total package and you have what it takes to succeed and be accepted in the dental school.

Enjoy your summer, both of you!

Nancy

Reactions: Dancerkoh
OP
Dancerkoh

Dancerkoh

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2016
Status
Dental Student
You both did great! You guys should be very proud. Congrats and good luck with your application and eventual interviews!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thanks! And thank you for the advice and kind words you gave him leading up to and after the test! :)

Reactions: DMikes
OP
Dancerkoh

Dancerkoh

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Congrats! You both did great!
How did you study on your last week approaching the exam day?
I took my last DBC test, the 2009 test and I studied those very closely. I also continued going through Dat destroyer and did 50 questions per science section everyday and reviewing and took one Math destroyer test per day. I didn't do any PAT personally besides the PAT on the full length tests I took. I just hope that one of the things people take from how I did is you absolutely should not compare yourself to other people posting on SDN and feel bad about scores like 20's. A 20 really is a great score and can get you accepted into many terrific schools. And in the end, we are all known as the same thing- a dentist! Just do your best and the two days before your test, be kind to yourself and don't worry too much about studying. You'll do great!

Reactions: Ardwan