DAT DAT Destroyer 2011 - Raffle and Product Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DAT Destroyer

Dr. Romano and Nancy
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We are delighted to participate again in SDN's annual Test Prep Week. We will be offering 3 DAT Destroyer Supreme Packages to the winners. Good luck to all.

Orgoman DAT Destroyer, in its simplest form, is a scholarly work created by Dr. Jim Romano to help students achieve their goal of high scores on the DAT. Many of Dr. Romano’s students have exceeded the 90th percentile in areas of Biology, General Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry using this unique, comprehensive material. This blockbuster work helps students negotiate the labyrinthine path one must travel to a successful entrance into dental school. Under the aegis of Dr. Romano, Quantitative Reasoning is broken down into simple components allowing students to recall and retain math basics. General Chemistry is electrified, Biology is simplified, and Organic Chemistry is demystified. Step-by-step solutions to all problems are easily presented and Dr. Romano adds tons of additional concepts you will need to excel. Whether you’re simply seeking extra help or hope to score high enough for a dental scholarship, give the DAT Destroyer a chance. Like thousands of other students who have worked under the auspices of Dr. Romano, the DAT Destroyer material will offer you success on the DAT and help your dream of becoming a dentist become a reality. Good luck!

Dr. Jim Romano, New York University Graduate, Ashe Bowman Scholarship winner, and American Chemical Society member has created an innovative, problem-solving book for Organic Chemistry. Orgoman Organic Chemistry Odyssey offers insight to over 900 different problems as Dr. Romano allows you to peek into his clandestine world that opens his files to exam type problems and extremely detailed solutions completed by Dr. Romano personally. The book is electrifying and will be a vital tool to students enrolled in Organic class or students taking the DAT, MCAT, PCAT, OAT or GRE. You will be almost as excited about it as he! Let's begin on a journey of learning, and explore this wonderful world of Organic Chemistry. Best of luck to all!

CHAPTERS INCLUDE:
1. Concepts in Organic Chemistry
2. Acids and Bases
3. Cycloalkanes & Radicals
4. Stereochemistry
5. Elimination Reactions
6. Alkenes
7. Alkynes
8. Substitution Reactions
9. Alcohols
10. Ethers 11. Alcohols and Ethers II
12. Aromatics
13. Aldehydes and Ketones
14. Carbonyl Compounds
15. Spectroscopy
16. Amines
17. Carbohydrates
18. Amino Acids
19. Fatty Acids
20. Lab Techniques

The Math Destroyer contains 480 problems and detailed solutions, broken down into 12 separate tests that you can use to simulate the actual test. When developing the problems it was important that solutions be very clear and show the student the most efficient way to solve the problem. Remember, the number one reason students get low scores on the test is they do not finish. The big difference in our product and an online test type of product is once you have finished the test you can review the problems and the solutions and see where you have made your mistakes. We feel confident this will help you improve your score in this section.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, have two brisk questions.

How exactly did you decide/come up with the questions in the biology section of DAT Destroyer?

Regarding organic chemistry, why were sections on the macromolecules included (carbohydrates, etc), when the DAT examinee guide (ADA) does not include these as material to be tested on? You're not the only one, as Kaplan includes these as well.

Thank you

Edit: Another question actually. Do you intend to start any kind of update log for different versions of Destroyer? I have noticed as have others, that new questions are added/changed between versions, but no one really has any idea about the specifics. It would be splendid to know what changes between versions.

Hi I have a question,

How do the questions in the DAT Destroyer compare to the actual DAT questions in terms of difficulty? I have heard that the DAT Destroyer problems are slightly more difficult.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine studied using DAT destroyer and did really well on his DAT. He said that it was the best prep for the scienes. The practice problems and the answer key were very helpful.

Last edited:
The best thing about these books are the practice problems and then the explanations. It really helps you figure out what you are not strong at so you can go back and re-review specific material.

My friend said that these books are just a bunch of practice problems, is there more to it than that? Like does it go over the concepts behind just the practice problems or is it straight practice problems?

Is there a study plan to working with these materials?

Also is there any assistance that can be provided if you need help with certain things, Like an email service or phone-line you can call?

It is basically a book of practice problems, but it does give some explanations in the back for each problem. I like it because (like I said before) it points out to me where I should focus my studying. Once I found these areas out, I would go back to my college text books or other materials and review. I don't believe there is any email or phone service but there is always the SDN boards. There is a bunch of plans available on the DAT section of the pre-dental SDN forum that uses these books. It breaks it down to a certain number of problems to work out and study each day.

I have the 2007 edition of DAT Destroyer and it has been a blessing from the DAT Gods. Question: Are all the questions pretty similar or have you redone a lot of questions?

It is basically a book of practice problems, but it does give some explanations in the back for each problem. I like it because (like I said before) it points out to me where I should focus my studying. Once I found these areas out, I would go back to my college text books or other materials and review. I don't believe there is any email or phone service but there is always the SDN boards. There is a bunch of plans available on the DAT section of the pre-dental SDN forum that uses these books. It breaks it down to a certain number of problems to work out and study each day.

Thank you.

It is more of a "move at your own pace" book. If you need to go through the examples on all of them you can, or you can just review the ones that you are not sure how to figure out. Several of the pre-dent students above me said they appreciated the math destroyer best!

For future books, will more diagrams and charts be added to the books for clarification of difficult topics?

I'm very interested in purchasing DAT destroyer but I have a couple of questions. Is the format similar to the actual DAT? I've taken Canadian DAT, but I've never taken US DAT before. All I know is that it's computer-based. Wouldn't it be better to have a pdf file of the book or some sort of program that'll run the test questions so that students can practice answering the questions in front of the computer?

Thanks!

I'm very interested in purchasing DAT destroyer but I have a couple of questions. Is the format similar to the actual DAT? I've taken Canadian DAT, but I've never taken US DAT before. All I know is that it's computer-based. Wouldn't it be better to have a pdf file of the book or some sort of program that'll run the test questions so that students can practice answering the questions in front of the computer?

Thanks!

Hi
I was wondering the same thing as you before. The authors of destroyer do not offer an online version of the test that you can take on the computer. As far as pdf files are concerned i just purchased the latest version of the destroyer and it says in the front cover that pdf files are illegal. If you are looking for a computer based test, topscore, achiever and kaplan do offer them.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much different is the content in the odyssey than that of the organic chemistry section in the Destroyer? I am just curious because how can someone say the content for the organic chemistry section of the destroyer is sufficient enough to score a 23+ on the DAT when an entire new text of just organic chemistry is made for the same reason? Also, if anyone has used the odyssey before, I would appreciate to know how much it has helped you. Thanks!

Also, the same goes for the Math Destroyer. If anyone has used it, please tell me how much it has helped you. Thanks again!

I was wondering for anyone who's used this book before - if you've felt that the ochem covered in the book is too extensive for the DAT? Thanks in advance.

How similar are the questions in the OAT Destroyer to the DAT Destroyer for the common subjects between them (Gen and O Chem, Bio, math, verbal)?

I have heard many great things about the DAT Destroyer. Perhaps in the future Dr. Romano can start a DAT prep course to help pre-dents out!

Hi
I was wondering the same thing as you before. The authors of destroyer do not offer an online version of the test that you can take on the computer. As far as pdf files are concerned i just purchased the latest version of the destroyer and it says in the front cover that pdf files are illegal. If you are looking for a computer based test, topscore, achiever and kaplan do offer them.

I see, thanks. are there complete sets of the test in the book or is it just a bank of questions?

Does the DAT Destroyer contain an estimated weighted breakdown of topics likely to be tested, by subject? For example, it's helpful to know that more questions on DAT Bio will pertain to cell bio over taxonomy.

Likewise, do the questions in the DAT Destroyer reflect this breakdown?

Thanks!

was wondering about how long should it be taking me to go through all of the material on the DVD's assuming I'm studying everyday? Should I space it out like 1 DVD a day?

tnylight, I believe the questions in the OAT Destroyer and DAT Destroyer are very similar due to the fact that the questions pertaining to those subjects on the entrance exams are basically the same.

Ok, so I'm very interested in purchasing DAT Destroyer, but I have a couple of questions.

So, I know that the format is practice questions, how are they broken down? Is it formatted like: A) Practice test 1, Practice test 2, etc or B) Bio practice questions, Chem practice questions, etc?

Also--I've heard from a few people that you shouldn't take destroyer as timed practice sections, because it's really hard and in order to learn from it, you should take your time and stuff. I'm wondering: how do YOU (the creator of the destroyer) recommend that we use this material? Was your intention to create sections that students take as timed practice exams (personally I feel like that would be most helpful)?
Did you create DAT Destroyer to be a learning tool for people who have not yet finished their science review or did you create it for practice for people who have already finished their science review?

I hope that was clear enough!

It is broken down by subject (biology, gen chem, orgo...) as practice questions only. The answers and explanations are in sections in the back of the book.

It is broken down by subject (biology, gen chem, orgo...) as practice questions only. The answers and explanations are in sections in the back of the book.

Ah, thanks!

Yes, please enter me for the raffle if possible!

Please enter me into the raffle as well. I have an older version of the destroyer and plan on purchasing the newer one along with the math destroyer. The older version I have is from 2007 and has some great information in it. I'm hoping the newer version will help even more.

Thanks

-Matthew

I've heard from a few people that you shouldn't take destroyer as timed practice sections, because it's really hard and in order to learn from it, you should take your time and stuff. I'm wondering: how do YOU (the creator of the destroyer) recommend that we use this material? Was your intention to create sections that students take as timed practice exams (personally I feel like that would be most helpful)?

I actually had the exact same question and I hope that Dr. Romano or anyone else has a suggestion on how to time yourself while doing these problems. It doesn't have to be the same timing as the DAT but as long as time is a factor then I think it would help. For now my best suggestion is to take 40 bio, 30 orgo, and 30 gen chem and try to do them in 90 min and make a note of how far you got. Then take your time and finish and go over your answers before looking at the solutions. I haven't seen any of the questions though so who knows if this will work. I think gen chem especially has the potential to throw off your timing if you get an extremely long calculation. If I end up trying this with the destroyer I'll let you know how it went on the boards (and maybe what problems to skip that I had no chance of finishing on time:eek:). It'd be nice if something like this was possible cuz i think destroyer has enough questions in it for like 8 or nine practice DATs :D

I have an older version, are there significant changes from last years version to this years version?

LIke more questions for instance.

Do you recommend all three books to effectively tutor someone on the DAT? If so, would you recommend that the student do some of the practice problems on their own before the tutoring session. Is the Odyssey necessary in addition to the Destroyer or is it primarily used for an organic chemistry class?

Hello,

I also have a older version (2007) and have found it to be extremely helpful. Was there a major overhaul of the information presented in 2007 in comparison to the most recent edition?

Thanks!

Hi,
I heard absolutely amazing things about Destroyer. I'd love to be entered into raffle.

Do you recommend all three books to effectively tutor someone on the DAT? If so, would you recommend that the student do some of the practice problems on their own before the tutoring session. Is the Odyssey necessary in addition to the Destroyer or is it primarily used for an organic chemistry class?

I've heard that the Odyssey is overkill for the DAT and that most people use it as practice problems for an organic chemistry class. I can tell you for sure that most people on here don't seem to use Odyssey to study for the DAT (I've never seen anyone even mention it). Since I don't own Odyssey and haven't done the problems, however, I can't say for sure whether it'd be helpful or just overkill.

Hey all,
What is the difference between kaplan review questions and the Dat destroyer? Are the questions similar to what is tested on the DAT?Does the DAT odessy contain notes that when can study from?If is all questions than it will definitely. :).Thanks....

Is the raffle over? If not, how do you get entered in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.