DAT destroyer 2012 Orgo #86 pg 27

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clubwestpua

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why does D only has enantiomers?

It has 2 chiral centers once BR2 are added which enables it to have two chiral carbons having different R/S configurations. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Why does D only has enantiomers?

It has 2 chiral centers once BR2 are added which enables it to have two chiral carbons having different R/S configurations. :confused:

if you can upload a picture or tell me what its adding to then I can help you. I don't have destroyer anymore.

For D, I'm getting one structure with R,R and the other structure is S,S. So they are enantiomers. Diastereomers are structure with atleast 1 chiral center with opposite R/S config at a chiral center. If all of them are the exact opposite R/S config, then they are known as enantiomers. If not all, then diastereomers. I hope that makes sense. Its really early.

So if one structure is R,R and the other is R,S then this is diastereomer.
If its R,R and the other is S, S then they are enantiomers.

Because the other answer you get with different R and S configurations are Meso compounds since they have an internal plane of symmetry. That means they are not optically active. Hope this helps.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk