DAT DESTROYER advice ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elusive011

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
alright so Ive been studying for the DAT for a couple months now and used DAT Bootcamp for review since its been well over 4 years since I took chemistry and 3 since I taken orgo. My question is how should you approach destroyer chem / orgo questions. I know everyone is different, but im wondering if im wasting too much time looking to see if I was right after each question. However, this approach would prevent getting more question wrong on similar questions that I could encounter.

so, should I answer each question and then check if my answer was correct and evaluate the wrong choices, etc. or should I answer about 30 questions and then check if they were correct/ incorrect and then check which ones were wrong or right and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I preferred doing around 30 or so in a row. I felt it was tedious to flip back and forth between questions and solutions, and also it is the same length as the actual section on the test, which can be helpful. But really, if you prefer something, and it helps you study efficiently, stick with it.

Reactions: 1 users
I preferred doing around 30 or so in a row. I felt it was tedious to flip back and forth between questions and solutions, and also it is the same length as the actual section on the test, which can be helpful. But really, if you prefer something, and it helps you study efficiently, stick with it.

thanks for your response, honestly im not good at making schedules or plans for studying. Aris scedules was too fast paced for me but anyway, I also think its way too cumbersome or tedious to keep flipping back and forth.

Hey! I used Destroyer mostly/only for Bio, and I did about 60 questions a day. I didn't check answers until I had done all 60, then I checked my answers and scored myself, and then reviewed what happened. I consistently got better and that only motivated me more. I would do them in sets and 30 is perfect for the chem sections :) answer them all in one shot, grade, and then review. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for all the replies! Truly motivated after today, will definitely try to tackle the questions and review after I completed them all. Good luck to anyone else! keep pushing forward.

alright so Ive been studying for the DAT for a couple months now and used DAT Bootcamp for review since its been well over 4 years since I took chemistry and 3 since I taken orgo. My question is how should you approach destroyer chem / orgo questions. I know everyone is different, but im wondering if im wasting too much time looking to see if I was right after each question. However, this approach would prevent getting more question wrong on similar questions that I could encounter.

so, should I answer each question and then check if my answer was correct and evaluate the wrong choices, etc. or should I answer about 30 questions and then check if they were correct/ incorrect and then check which ones were wrong or right and why?
Similar to @trying2bedentist, I also did 30 questions from each section at a time. Just take the time to go through each question and read answers to questions you miss. You can’t really use Destroyer to gauge how you’ll score on the real test, but rather use it as a resource to broaden and deepen your understanding of certain concepts. I’d go through it as many times as possible before your test. That’s what I have done, and I feel super well-prepared (taking the DAT in five days!). Also, if you haven’t already, I recommend getting Math Destroyer, it is super helpful! Best of luck!

I also did ~30 questions and then reviewed. I found that way helpful so that I could be in a test-taking mode and then a review mode rather than always flipping back and forth.

Similar to @artist2022, I used Destroyer for mostly Bio. I did about 250 of the G-chem questions as well. I think you should treat destroyer as a Bio subject test. The questions are somewhat challenging, but it'll help you to build a good foundation for easier problems. Go through all of the questions first, then focus on the answers after you finish. During the actual test, you aren't going to be able to "check your answers" after each question, so it's better to not build that kind of habit. Like you said, these questions are going to help you solidify your knowledge and prevent you from getting similar questions wrong. Really focus on those solutions and whatever you don't understand can be found in Feralis or Cliffs.

Thanks a lot everyone! definitely changing my approach! I know a lot of people mention that destroyer is harder than the real thing or even Bootcamp but I rather be destroyed now than on the actual exam lol! I'm definitely doing ALL the questions! His biology notes are GODsend imo, I'm amazed at how much material this man knows. Chem and orgo are definitely my weakest subjects so I need all the practice I can get, just knew I was going too slow to cover it all. I'm sure going through the questions first will help me pick up some speed! Good luck everyone!

From how I studied, I went through organic chemistry twice, biology nearly twice, and General chemistry nearly twice. Only went through QR once. I would check my answers after I completed all my questions. Also, I did 30 organic a day, 30-40 gen chem a day depending on how I’m feeling, and 40-60 biology depending on how I felt. I take my DAT this Friday so we’ll see if my studying paid off. Also, VERY IMPORTANT, do not time yourself with DAT destroyer. It literally says on the first page it’s not meant to be taken as a timed test. Try to understand the small details that comes with every question. It comes down to the point where one word in a question or answer can throw you off and have you thinking about what you already know about what’s being asked. Best of luck with your studying!

Last edited by a moderator:
Side note: Do not be discouraged by getting questions wrong during your second time around on a section. It happens. From my experience though, the amount of questions I got wrong the first time at it compared to my second time, my results were ALOT better the second time. Just keep at it and you’ll realize how much you actually learned when looking back at the first day you started studying.