Status
Pre-Dental
Which statement is false?
a. The pH of the cytosol is more acidic than the lysosome
b. Lysosomes are found in both plant and animal cells
c. Macrophages are differentiated from monocytes
d. Macrophages are rich in lysosomes
e. All are correct

The answer says A. I agree, but isn't B also false. Plant cells lack lysosomes. They have vacuoles which perform similar processes. My cliffs AP Biology says plant cells lack Lysosomes. I have also found numerous sources on the internet saying plant cells lack Lysosomes.

Help Please

About the Ads

5+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2014
Status
Dental Student
This was mentioned somewhere else on this site. I believe the central vacuole of plants does same functions as animal lysosomes but they also have lysosomes themselves. HOpefully Dr. Romano or Nancy comes and clears this up.

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
Which statement is false?
a. The pH of the cytosol is more acidic than the lysosome
b. Lysosomes are found in both plant and animal cells
c. Macrophages are differentiated from monocytes
d. Macrophages are rich in lysosomes
e. All are correct

The answer says A. I agree, but isn't B also false. Plant cells lack lysosomes. They have vacuoles which perform similar processes. My cliffs AP Biology says plant cells lack Lysosomes. I have also found numerous sources on the internet saying plant cells lack Lysosomes.

Help Please
Usually plant cells do not have lysosomes. However, there is growing evidence that some plant cells have lysosomes or lysosome-like structures. It is rare, but it was reported. That is why B is not completely false. I have actually read several papers on plant lysosomes. Feel free to google it, it will make for a good read.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

About the Ads