Quantcast

Dat Destroyer General Chem number 37 -soluble in NH3 - REALLY confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrhyde

Becoming Dr. Jekyll
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
37) Which of the following compounds would be most soluble in NH3? Etc...

---- I am super confused with this question :-(

- So none of the solubility rules apply since this is not in water but in NH3 ??

-- and when the explanation says that transition metals have a tendency to form complex ions, does that only apply to NH3? I want to understand what this applies to so i can learn it.

---And I dont get the explanation since its basically saying that forming complex ions means that its soluble ? But that's not right because something being soluble mean it dissociates and thus does not form a precipitate so how does forming complex ions apply to that ?

Alikhan9

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Transitional complex forms with transition metal, I guess that threw me off to that question

DAT Destroyer

Dr. Romano and Nancy
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
37) Which of the following compounds would be most soluble in NH3? Etc...

---- I am super confused with this question :-(

- So none of the solubility rules apply since this is not in water but in NH3 ??

-- and when the explanation says that transition metals have a tendency to form complex ions, does that only apply to NH3? I want to understand what this applies to so i can learn it.

---And I dont get the explanation since its basically saying that forming complex ions means that its soluble ? But that's not right because something being soluble mean it dissociates and thus does not form a precipitate so how does forming complex ions apply to that ?
Ammonia can react with many Transition metals to form complex ions. These reactions involve the NH3 emptying electrons into the d orbitals of many transition metals. Essentially, Ammonia will remove these ions......For example...if FeCl3 is dissolved in water....it is not very soluble. We would get a few Fe+3 ions and a few Cl- ions.......BUT in NH3....we would be REMOVING the Fe+3 ions to from a complex with ammonia...thus....by Le Chatelier's Principle...more of the FeCl3 would dissolve to replace the Fe+3 ions removed by the ammonia. Ammonia can form Complex ions....so can molecules like CN-, and OH-...but for the DAT exam.....only focus on NH3.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user