Quantcast

Dat Destroyer Organic Chem number 58

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrhyde

Becoming Dr. Jekyll
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Dat Destroyer Organic Chem number 58 .

The Answer key shows 1,2,3, and 4 possible products . I understand that 3 is chiral BUT how can 1 be chiral if that carbon would be connected to one CL while also connected to TWO hydrogen's

Mavis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dat Destroyer Organic Chem number 58 .

The Answer key shows 1,2,3, and 4 possible products . I understand that 3 is chiral BUT how can 1 be chiral if that carbon would be connected to one CL while also connected to TWO hydrogen's

I just took a look at it and I think you're looking at the wrong carbon. The carbon you're looking at isn't a stereocenter because it's connected to a Cl, two hydrogens, and the rest of the alkane like you mentioned.

The answer refers to the stereocenter at the adjacent carbon which is connected to a hydrogen, that carbon-chlorine bond, a methyl, and an ethyl. Does that make sense?

Reactions: 1 user

Mrhyde

Becoming Dr. Jekyll
Reaction score
I just took a look at it and I think you're looking at the wrong carbon. The carbon you're looking at isn't a stereocenter because it's connected to a Cl, two hydrogens, and the rest of the alkane like you mentioned.

The answer refers to the stereocenter at the adjacent carbon which is connected to a hydrogen, that carbon-chlorine bond, a methyl, and an ethyl. Does that make sense?
YES your right :) Thank you I was confused because when I looked at the third one that is Chiral it happened to be by chance the same carbon that the Cl was connected too so I assumed the first one would have the same reasoning from the explanation. But thank you for clearing that up !