Dat Destroyer Organic Chem number 58

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrhyde

Becoming Dr. Jekyll
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dat Destroyer Organic Chem number 58 .

The Answer key shows 1,2,3, and 4 possible products . I understand that 3 is chiral BUT how can 1 be chiral if that carbon would be connected to one CL while also connected to TWO hydrogen's

Members don't see this ad.

Dat Destroyer Organic Chem number 58 .

The Answer key shows 1,2,3, and 4 possible products . I understand that 3 is chiral BUT how can 1 be chiral if that carbon would be connected to one CL while also connected to TWO hydrogen's

I just took a look at it and I think you're looking at the wrong carbon. The carbon you're looking at isn't a stereocenter because it's connected to a Cl, two hydrogens, and the rest of the alkane like you mentioned.

The answer refers to the stereocenter at the adjacent carbon which is connected to a hydrogen, that carbon-chlorine bond, a methyl, and an ethyl. Does that make sense?

Reactions: 1 user
I just took a look at it and I think you're looking at the wrong carbon. The carbon you're looking at isn't a stereocenter because it's connected to a Cl, two hydrogens, and the rest of the alkane like you mentioned.

The answer refers to the stereocenter at the adjacent carbon which is connected to a hydrogen, that carbon-chlorine bond, a methyl, and an ethyl. Does that make sense?
YES your right :) Thank you I was confused because when I looked at the third one that is Chiral it happened to be by chance the same carbon that the Cl was connected too so I assumed the first one would have the same reasoning from the explanation. But thank you for clearing that up !