Dat Diet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mepstein

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What have been eating before and during the DAT? A very important strategy that most neglect to think about.....

Members don't see this ad.

exlax_120pills_enlarge.jpg

:laugh:

It's funny you should ask. The morning of my DAT my wife made me some blueberry pancakes and OJ. The next day my motherinlaw showed me an article in the paper from that day that talked about "brain food" and both were on the list. Maybe that is why I did well on my DATs

Members don't see this ad :)
I advise you to not follow in my footsteps. Went to bed at 9:30 pm, woke up at 1 am, tried going back to bed, fell asleep and woke up at 5:30 am. Then I went to Starbucks around 7 am, had some caffeine, then went to Good Egg around 10:30 am, ate maybe a quarter of my breakfast because I was so damn nervous. My exam was at 1 pm or so, so right before the exam, I downed two Hansen's energy drinks (similar to Red Bull). Wow, I felt like crap during the exam. Didn't help that they were doing construction right next door to the testing center. So do some research and try eating different breakfast foods on days you would normally dedicate 3-4 hrs of non-stop studying and determine what works for you. But eat a balanced meal, as you don't want to feel 'sleepy' during the exam. :eek: Good luck! :thumbup:

mepstein said:
What have been eating before and during the DAT? A very important strategy that most neglect to think about.....
Complex carbohydrates are very good the day of the exam. They are long lasting and will give you the energy you will need to endure the long test. Also gaterade too, helps keep you hydrated. I had granola and gaterade the day before my exam. Good luck!

If you want to take caffeine, take it towards the end of the exam just to give that extra perk. Because caffeine does have it's side-effects.

However, despite the diet, I think whatever works for you is the best tactic. This is true for all standardized tests. The more you are comfortable with what you are doing, and for this matter - eating; the better you will do. If you don't know what you are most comfortable with, then.... well chill till you figure out what works for you, if you still don't know what works for you, then don't worry about it. Worrying only saps more energy from the energy that could be spent studying or learning.

I totally understand how you feel before the test:)

I had a blueberry muffin with coffee for breakfast because my brain needs easily digestable carbohydrates as energy sources. Also, coffee gives me a morning lift :)

During a short break, I had a chocolate bar for the same reason and the result was really good :)
Hope this would help.

Taking too much diuretics such as caffeine is not gonna help you that much and may cause you to lose concentration cuz you gotta urinate. A good tip a good friend of mine gave me after taking his DAT was to bring raisins and bottled water for the way. It gives you a quick fix and enough glucose to carry you through the way.

my 2 cents.

DD

i didn't ate nothing before the DAT. but my reccomendation is to schedule the test early, i took mines at 8:30 am. i think a person's brain is the freshes in the morning, IMO.

demonicr said:
i didn't ate nothing before the DAT. but my reccomendation is to schedule the test early, i took mines at 8:30 am. i think a person's brain is the freshes in the morning, IMO.

second that. I'm a morning person, and I took my test early as oppose to the 1:30 option. In the morning my mind is empty with the rest from the sleep. The more we go through the day, the more things we see and hear, hence distracting a pure state. I believe strongly in having a pure mind state when we study, otherwise the time isn't effectively used.

Go morning people, and morning exams!!!

just drink a 6 pack of coors light on your way to the exam. trust me it will really help you out. ;)

next question.

i m nilay doin bds in third year want to go to usa for pg pls give me sum guidance my adress is [email protected]
mepstein said:
What have been eating before and during the DAT? A ver
'
'y important strategy that most neglect to think about.....

Carb load the night before...same way athletes do. Especially if you are on any sort of low carb/high protein diet. Eat a huge plate of pasta and sauce for lunch and dinner w/ chicken. In the morning eat a whole grains type cereal w/ blueberries...an hour later have a protein shake. try to avoid a lot of sugar at once, but rather a low consistent level (maybe in 100% juice w/ your breakfast). for break...complex carb. and high protein mix w/ gatorade...balance bars are great, especially their new trail mix bars and Go mix packs.
also the weeks leading up to the test take fish oil/flax seed supplements.
Working out and eating healthy (but not necesarily dieting) will make you feel better and give you more confidence, but you cant just start the day before the test.... you must start at least months before. Read some fitness magazines.

Ah dont do what Perfect says :p

Only thing i have to say, DO NOT DRINK LOTS OF WATER OR LIQUIDS RIGHT BEFORE THE TEST! Have a glass of something an hour before you have to be at the testing center at the latest and go the bathroom there. Trust me, i speak from experience, in high school, i had a crap load of water before the SAT and i had to piss so bad during the first 2 hours that i know thats why i did so poorly the first time. I couldnt concentrate b/c i had to pee so bad and the proctor made me wait. I had to sequeeze my legs hard not to go in pants right there in the classroom :laugh:

can you take a water bottle with yourself while u taking the test? or u have to put it in ur locker ?

the morning is good if you normally wake up early. for ppl like me who wake up at 12pm, i'd suggest later in the day.

i couldnt eat before my test because i was too stressed- ate half a waffle and some banana chased with a red bull.