DAT done 2/20

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VaiPie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DATs yesterday. Here is a breakdown of my scores

Bio - 21
GChem - 20
OChem - 20
QR-19
RC -20
TS - 21
AA - 20
PAT- 24

I took Kaplan classes over a year and a half ago. For me, the classes themselves weren't really at all helpful but then again i had a horrible instructor; however, i found their material good for a basic overview of all the sciences. I then went over my friends' princeton mcat book for bio and ochem, then did a couple ap bio books, finally took these last 3 weeks before the test to go over destroyer, topscore, and achiever. I'll post my scores for topscore and achiever over the next couple days. Ill also post more of what i thought about the test in a few days as far as how I thought the different sections compared to the practice material i used.

I didn't find the test to be too difficult, I thought it was rather fair in the questions being asked, but I totally freaked out during the test. I was shaking the whole time, and walked out with all my muscles aching. The night before the test was pretty awful too, i had horrible anxiety so I didn't sleep for more than 4 hours. I didnt realize I would have that much anxiety esp. considering the fact that when i took my SATs back in high school i was excited and was looking forward to taking that test.

Anyway, I didnt score as high as many others. I'm considering taking the test over since my gpa isnt all that great, but for now I'm gonna take a few days to recover and not think about it. Also, I got paper, no dry erase board for scratch work.

If any of you guys have questions, PM me. I would love to help, even with my not so terribly hot scores. Ill post in a few days with the rest of the info/scores as well as thank yous.

Members don't see this ad.

2.7<X 3.0 .... yea i know... it doesnt look good, i do have 200+ clinic hours, and 160+ volunteer hours, did undergraduate research work and all that jazz, but i am being realistic and keeping options for like masters programs and stuff open. I figure all I can do is give it my best shot. I cried my whole drive home from the test center, then mentally slapped/told myself to get over it because i know i gave it my best shot.

Im guessing 20 is slowly becoming the norm?

Im taking the test in a week and am scoring an average of 16-18 AA for both topscore and achiever...needless to say, im worried.

How did you do in the practice tests? Nice PA score by the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think 17-18 is still the norm, but alot of people on this forum have exceptional scores. Most school's incoming clases have an average of 18-19, but if you have a lower GPA, you have to compensate it somehow.

Hi,
I really appreciate it if you could let me know how you prepared for the Reading Comprehension section. I scored very low.
BTW, dont worry about your GPA. My friend had a similar GPA to yours with lower DAT scores and got accepted.
Good luck.

jol2008,

thanks! and i didnt prepare too much for RC.... at first when i was studying i read the whole passage all the way through, this did not work for me, because i was barely making it thorugh the third passage/questions, but towards the last week of my studying i decided to follow the advice of some of the SDN posters.They basically said to start off by reading the first question, then going onto reading the passage until you find the answer to the question, and doing the same thing until you reacht he end of the passage, i found this to be pretty effective for the most part.

Im guessing 20 is slowly becoming the norm?

Im taking the test in a week and am scoring an average of 16-18 AA for both topscore and achiever...needless to say, im worried.

How did you do in the practice tests? Nice PA score by the way.

i was getting 20-22s on topscore(took these about 2-3 weeks before my test) and 19-21's on achiever(took these the week before my test)... hope that helps, and i would honestly say, that the actual test was not as difficult as achiever, but you just HAVE to stay calm, and relaxed, otherwise you'll feel stumped, like i did :(

hope that helps

I took the DATs yesterday. Here is a breakdown of my scores

Bio - 21
GChem - 20
OChem - 20
QR-19
RC -20
TS - 21
AA - 20
PAT- 24

I took Kaplan classes over a year and a half ago. For me, the classes themselves weren't really at all helpful but then again i had a horrible instructor; however, i found their material good for a basic overview of all the sciences. I then went over my friends' princeton mcat book for bio and ochem, then did a couple ap bio books, finally took these last 3 weeks before the test to go over destroyer, topscore, and achiever. I'll post my scores for topscore and achiever over the next couple days. Ill also post more of what i thought about the test in a few days as far as how I thought the different sections compared to the practice material i used.

I didn't find the test to be too difficult, I thought it was rather fair in the questions being asked, but I totally freaked out during the test. I was shaking the whole time, and walked out with all my muscles aching. The night before the test was pretty awful too, i had horrible anxiety so I didn't sleep for more than 4 hours. I didnt realize I would have that much anxiety esp. considering the fact that when i took my SATs back in high school i was excited and was looking forward to taking that test.

Anyway, I didnt score as high as many others. I'm considering taking the test over since my gpa isnt all that great, but for now I'm gonna take a few days to recover and not think about it. Also, I got paper, no dry erase board for scratch work.

If any of you guys have questions, PM me. I would love to help, even with my not so terribly hot scores. Ill post in a few days with the rest of the info/scores as well as thank yous.

great scores. you should definitly apply for uop. b/c they care the most for pat not for gpa.

those scores are great. retaking would risk not improving, which would be bad. once you get above the 20s, the difference in score is a matter of a few questions. it could easily go either way. i think you did just fine, especially that PAT!

yeah definitely don't re-take it. i had an average of 19 the first time i took it. i thought i could do better, so i re-took it and scored a 16 average. i still regret doing that. so your scores are great. don't take that risk. it's not worth it if your scores are good.

yeah definitely don't re-take it. i had an average of 19 the first time i took it. i thought i could do better, so i re-took it and scored a 16 average. i still regret doing that. so your scores are great. don't take that risk. it's not worth it if your scores are good.

How much did you prepare the second time around?

VaiPie, I think that even with a low gpa, those scores would get you in- unless you are aiming at a super competitive school.

Congratz my friend, those are the exact type of scores I'm shooting for. Don't retake it, it won't be worth the risk. You did just :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks you guys!!.... after reading all of your comments im starting to feel a lot better, not hyped about my scores but def better. HAHA....im not aiming for a super competitive school, my long term goals with dentistry dont call for a super competitive school, so im not too picky at all when it comes to where i want to go, i just want to go to school. haha.... and

mut9ya,
I took the test in Fremont, California

If anyone needs any advice or anything, PM me. i would love to help

thanks you guys!!.... after reading all of your comments im starting to feel a lot better, not hyped about my scores but def better. HAHA....im not aiming for a super competitive school, my long term goals with dentistry dont call for a super competitive school, so im not too picky at all when it comes to where i want to go, i just want to go to school. haha.... and

mut9ya,
I took the test in Fremont, California

If anyone needs any advice or anything, PM me. i would love to help

Your scores look pretty familiar ;)(my score 20/21/25). if you can raise your gpa a little bit, i think you should be fine. gl.

hey there VaiPie,
congrats on those scores, i would be super happy if i got those scores, I'm in the process of studying right now, i was just wondering about ur method of studying, u mentioned u completed the kaplan course a year and a half ago(I'm currently enrolled), and then focused on topscore, achiever, etc, the last 3 weeks.... so i was wondering what exactly were ur study habits (days per week/ hours per day, whatever), in order to achieve those scores
Thanks

Those are definitely scores worth posting! I am getting a little nervous about the whole process, so I figure coming on SDN will work some of the nerves out, we will see. Either way, I am excited to get this thing over with, it has been quite the battle studying for. Thanks for the post, it gives me a little more hope.

Nice job, those are some really impressive scores, especially the PAT. Good luck with the application process.

VaiPie . . . if you're a CA resident you have the advantage of having several CA dental schools to apply to. I think that helps your chances vs the person who is in a state that has none or only one state school. As long as you know how to present yourself half way decently in an interview, you should be fine because your stats are plenty competitive.