DAT Done 2/24/12 - Is My Score Competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StarWarsKam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just finished my DAT today:

AA: 19 (77.6)
TS: 20 (85.2)
PA: 24 (98.1)

I'm not thrilled about my AA, I thought I could do as well as some of you on the forums, but I am relieved it's over. I wanted to know how competitive this score is? I roughly have a 3.4 overall and science GPA. I'd honestly love to just get into a dental school and get to work. Your thoughts are most appreciated. Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I'm not thrilled about my AA, I thought I could do as well as some of you on the forums, but I am relieved it's over. I wanted to know how competitive this score is? I roughly have a 3.4 overall and science GPA. I'd honestly love to just get into a dental school and get to work. Your thoughts are most appreciated. Thanks! :thumbup:
You're score is fine, relax! Now try to work on improving your GPA and getting in some shadowing hours. Also, if you haven't already, it would be a good idea to start your personal statement.

Hello everyone,

How'd you study for it? What Resources did you use?

Those are good scores assuming you have nothing below a 17.

Yes, the only score I had lower than a 19 was a 17 (75.6) in Quantitative Reasoning.

As far as study materials, I first took an online course with Kaplan. Honestly I think Kaplan is a huge waste of money, they give decent study materials but it's far too simplistic. So in addition to Kaplan materials I used Chad's Videos, Math Destroyer, Crack DAT and Cliffs AP Bio. Math Destroyer really helped me with math; it was always my worst section. I felt that the PA tests on Crack DAT were a lot more complicated than the actual test, so the challenge definitely helps. Chad's videos are really inexpensive and honestly I never really understood General Chem until I went through Chad's videos. Unfortunately I thought the Chemistry and Biology sections on test day were much more difficult than anything Chad or Kaplan covers.

Members don't see this ad :)
The questions on the DAT bio section are super random. I had a few questions on DNA extraction. Then some on who was the first person to do PCR. Another one was on who discovered DNA.... and a lot of other random useless garbage I overlooked in my Biology book since I didn't think it was relevant to the biology section.

Honestly, I wasted too much time studying human anatomy, DNA replication mechs, animal reproduction, bacteria families, etc. etc. (Real biology topics that matter).

I felt more like I was taking a laboratory exam + science history test, then a biology exam. :laugh:

You did well. You should be in good shape.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk