DAT Done! (22TS/25PA/21AA) Loooong Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

map142

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my DAT and although I don't have one of those absurdly high scores, I think I still did pretty well, and owe a lot of credit to SDN. I just wanted to return the favor and give all of the advice I can for future test takers.

PA 25 (99.7)
QR 21 (93.3)
RC 19 (59.8)
Bio 23 (98.0)
GC 22 (90.1)
OC 22 (91.5)
TS 22 (96.0)
AA 21 (93.0)

About the Actual Test:

Biology: I was asked 2 questions that weren't straight up factual, but required some analysis instead. I also had one picture in reference to a plant that I wasn't very sure about, but everything else was very straight forward. The questions did range from very broad, to very very very specific. I only had one taxonomy question and it was at the phylum level. Three questions were genetics related, none were on physiology, krebs, or photosynthesis (weird right?). On that note, I did read through chapters 19-21 in Campbell's, and I have to say, it was pretty unnecessary in the case of my test. Everything that I was asked could be found in Barron's AP biology review book. I happened to use Barron's instead of Cliff's only because I heard of it first. I read through it about 4 times, and then went through the glossary the morning of my test. The practice tests in the beginning, middle, and end of the book were very helpful. I wouldn't recommend going through lots and lots of sources, because you'll probably just know waaaay more info than you need. Learning Barron's inside and out will definitely get you 20+

General Chemistry: Like everyone else said, Chad's Videos plus Destroyer. I went through the Destroyer before Chad's videos and got maybe 20% correct. Went through it again after watching his videos and taking notes, still only got 60% right. Then I went back and only did the problems I got wrong. Then two days before the test I went through each problem carefully reading every answer and its explanation. I read through Chad's notes every few days to refresh my overall understanding. This part of the test was fairly simple. Don't just memorize the equations but really understand how to manipulate them. About half of the questions will ask you what will happen to _____ when _____ changes. The calculation were half in the form of you just had to pick the right set up and the other half you actually solve. I just used dimensional analysis for all and cancelled out where I could. Make sure you know how to balance all kinds of reactions, and know the period trends inside and out and you'll be golden.

Organic: Just like general, Chad's plus Destroyer. I used the same method here as I did for general, except I also added in the Road Maps. If you can recognize all of the reactions that go on during the Destroyer and understand all of the concepts in Chad's you're set. I got 6 questions on spectroscopy too...

Perceptual Ability: Crack DAT PAT. Yeah, it costs a ton, but after reading what everyone else said, I had to get it. I bought the 10 test version. I got 18 on the first 4 tests and was pretty pissed. I then started utilizing the 1,2,3,4,5 table for cube counting and the 4x4 for hole punches and jumped right up to 22-24 the rest of the way. Just for the hell of it, I went back and redid the tests where I got 18s, and got 24-25 on them.
Keyhole: My main suggestion here is to not only find the shape that you think works, but make sure that you can find a reason why every other answer choice doesn't work. By the end, I could get 15/15 on this every time without having to go back and check.
TFE: I happen to be good at visualizing this, but used the same method as keyhole, as soon as I found the right answer, I made sure that the others were wrong. Don't come back to check this.
Angle: I used the hill method for acute angles and the laptop method for obtuse ones. The easiest for me was to first look at the answer choices. Usually you only have to decide between two. Then once you know which is smallest, you again have to decide between two. This is much easier than comparing three angles at once. Sorry if this is common sense. This is the section that I spent the most time on. I went back after I was done everything and stared at each angle form up close and far away.
Pattern Folding: Grid system worked like a charm. I look at one hole punch at a time and went backwards to see where it would make a hole with each fold. I happened to finish PAT with 27 minutes left so I went back and redid this section. If you take your time though, you should be good first go around.
Cube Counting: The table lets you keep track of everything flawlessly, and with each new shape, I did the counting twice to make sure I didn't mess up. There are 5 sets of shapes on the real test, but no illusions, and less cubes, so overall pretty easy. I also went back and redid this section, but only because of the extra time.
Pattern Folding: I really utilized the what doesn't work method here. I eliminated choices that didn't work. For example, with the shaded origami ones, you can see that there's just no way three shaded regions will be adjacent to each other. This almost always left me with one choice.

Math: I used Math Destroyer, it is worth the money. I went through each test, averaging 27/40. Then I did all of the problems I got wrong. I did the first few tests again the week of my test too. About 25 problems were exactly like something you've seen in Destroyer, but the other 15 are ones you have to kind of reason out. Regardless, I could only reason it out because of things I had seen on Destroyer.

Reading: So for this I got two science based passages for my first ones and thought I was sittin pretty in the mid 20's. I barely had to read anything to answer the majority of the questions. Then came the piano passage. I really didn't think it was bad while I was doing it, but apparently it handed it to me. I skimmed through the first few passages, answered as many questions as I could, and then utilized search and destroy. Sorry I don't have many tips for this, but it's really not too difficult. Don't trust Achiever, I got 15s on that for RC.

Ressources
MUST BUY
Chad's Videos: they will single handedly get you 20+ in gen chem and ochem. No questions asked, you're robbing him at only 20 bucks for the month subscription. My 22's are because of you Chad.
Destroyer: Chad's videos will give you all of the concepts, and Destroyer will make sure you know how to put it to use. Don't use it as a practice test though. Instead, think of it as a different type of studying. Instead of reading, it puts info into question form. Understand not only why the right answer is correct, but why the wrong ones are incorrect. For bio, I wouldn't recommend memorizing these facts unless you have the time and energy, but I did have 5-6 questions that were word for word from the destroyer.
Math Destroyer: It gives you the simple how to on so many types of math problems. Also works on timing. After my first go around, I practiced finishing the tests in under 30 minutes.
Barron's AP Bio: Know this inside and out and you'll get 20+ in bio. Think of it as a study guide. Do the questions too, multiple were exactly the same here as well.
Crack DAT PAT: Just buy it. Then do it a few times with the above methods and say hello to 20+
NOT NECESSARY
Organic Odyssey: Complete Overkill. Some of the sections are very good at solidifying your knowledge though. Doing the spectroscopy section here saved me. Some of the sections like proteins and carbs weren't even worth a look. Get it if you want, because it's definitely helpful, but I don't think it'll bump you're score too much.
Achiever: This honestly just pissed me off. I got a 19/17/16 on the three science sections. I got a 18 on the PAT, and you already saw my reading scores. I didn't even take all of the tests because of how frustrated I was. Some people said it motivated them, but it just made me mad.
Some useful websites:
Statistics:http://www.omegamath.com/Data/d2.2.html
Easy science Reading: http://www.cliffsnotes.com/sciences-study-guides.html

Final Thoughts
For me the key was constantly mixing things up so I didn't get bored. Destroyer here, videos there, reading in between. I studied for a month about 8 hours a day. I did work out a lot in between, and took about 1-2 days off a week. I could've easily gotten the same score in half the time if I would've just gone from Chad's video's to Destroyer, memorizing Barron's, and going through Crack DAT PAT and Math Destroyer a few times. Hope this helps, and let me know if there's anything else I can do to give you guys a better idea of what to do. Thanks again to all of the previous people's breakdowns!

Members don't see this ad.

did you use dat destroyer or math detroyer the individual version? i want to buy destroyer but do you think just the DAT version is good?

I used both, but found the individual math destroyer to be much more helpful because it gave you a good idea of how many stat/geometry/algebra questions to expect per test. I strongly recommend Math Destroyer

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad so see you say that about the reading comprehension on Achiever. I've taken the DAT once before and it seemed like the Achiever RC passages were twice as long and the questions were much more difficult. I scored a 15 RC on the last test I took and I had a 20 on the real DAT.

Nice breakdown and I like your PAT advice. Knowing why 4 answers are wrong is just as good as knowing why 1 is correct.

" I got 18 on the first 4 tests and was pretty pissed. I then started utilizing the 1,2,3,4,5 table for cube counting and the 4x4 for hole punches and jumped right up to 22-24 the rest of the way. Just for the hell of it, I went back and redid the tests where I got 18s, and got 24-25 on them."

Could you elaborate what this method is? I've never heard of it.

Congrats and thanks for the breakdown. I've been studying Chad's, Destroyer Math & DAT, Kaplan, CDP and Cliffs and I was worried I needed more.

For cube counting make a table with 1,2,3,4,5 running down the left side vertically, and then for every cube you count with 1 side showing mark a slash next to one, for every one with 2, a slash next to two, etc. this way when you've looked at each cube individually, you have a tally of how many cubes have one side facing out, etc.

For hole punching draw tic tac toe, but with 3 lines going each way instead of two. then mark an x in each square that you know there will be a hole in. This makes it so you don't have to mentally remember where all of the hole punches will be and you can just compare your written answer to the choices.

P.S. Kaplan blue book and notecards were useless in my opinion. KBB is too watered down to give you any real info, and so broad that reading through it is a waste of time. The notecards are basically the blue book printed onto 3x5 index cards. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say don't buy anything Kaplan.

I also forgot to mention I used Anki like everyone else. I only used it for biology, but had about 350 notecards made between Barron's and Destroyer Bio. I found it extremely helpful in helping me just straight up memorize facts.

Congrats a lot man.. Mine is in 1 week :(!
Could you elaborate more on the laptop method for the obtuse angles please? I know the hill method and I couldn't get the obtuse ones.. I kinda can imagine from the name laptop but just for clarification. Thanks in advance!

For cube counting make a table with 1,2,3,4,5 running down the left side vertically, and then for every cube you count with 1 side showing mark a slash next to one, for every one with 2, a slash next to two, etc. this way when you've looked at each cube individually, you have a tally of how many cubes have one side facing out, etc.

For hole punching draw tic tac toe, but with 3 lines going each way instead of two. then mark an x in each square that you know there will be a hole in. This makes it so you don't have to mentally remember where all of the hole punches will be and you can just compare your written answer to the choices.

P.S. Kaplan blue book and notecards were useless in my opinion. KBB is too watered down to give you any real info, and so broad that reading through it is a waste of time. The notecards are basically the blue book printed onto 3x5 index cards. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say don't buy anything Kaplan.

I also forgot to mention I used Anki like everyone else. I only used it for biology, but had about 350 notecards made between Barron's and Destroyer Bio. I found it extremely helpful in helping me just straight up memorize facts.

Hey my worst is angles and hole punching and they take WAYy too much time... what im wondering about your hole punhcing advice is do you make a new grid with 3 x 3 lines for Every question? or can one just erase the x's after being done with a question??

Also do you think you could elaborate on ur angles strategy a little more? Thanks

for cube counting do they ever ask for how many cubes have 0 visible sides?

Perceptual Ability: Crack DAT PAT. Yeah, it costs a ton, but after reading what everyone else said, I had to get it. I bought the 10 test version. I got 18 on the first 4 tests and was pretty pissed. I then started utilizing the 1,2,3,4,5 table for cube counting and the 4x4 for hole punches and jumped right up to 22-24 the rest of the way. Just for the hell of it, I went back and redid the tests where I got 18s, and got 24-25 on them.
Keyhole: My main suggestion here is to not only find the shape that you think works, but make sure that you can find a reason why every other answer choice doesn't work. By the end, I could get 15/15 on this every time without having to go back and check.
TFE: I happen to be good at visualizing this, but used the same method as keyhole, as soon as I found the right answer, I made sure that the others were wrong. Don't come back to check this.
Angle: I used the hill method for acute angles and the laptop method for obtuse ones. The easiest for me was to first look at the answer choices. Usually you only have to decide between two. Then once you know which is smallest, you again have to decide between two. This is much easier than comparing three angles at once. Sorry if this is common sense. This is the section that I spent the most time on. I went back after I was done everything and stared at each angle form up close and far away.
Pattern Folding: Grid system worked like a charm. I look at one hole punch at a time and went backwards to see where it would make a hole with each fold. I happened to finish PAT with 27 minutes left so I went back and redid this section. If you take your time though, you should be good first go around.
Cube Counting: The table lets you keep track of everything flawlessly, and with each new shape, I did the counting twice to make sure I didn't mess up. There are 5 sets of shapes on the real test, but no illusions, and less cubes, so overall pretty easy. I also went back and redid this section, but only because of the extra time.
Pattern Folding: I really utilized the what doesn't work method here. I eliminated choices that didn't work. For example, with the shaded origami ones, you can see that there's just no way three shaded regions will be adjacent to each other. This almost always left me with one choice.

Could you explain again the tables that you drew for the PAT? Can you please post an image?
Also, what are your tips with time on the PAT? There are so many questions in so little time, so how did you manage that?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
the table for cube is goes something like this
0|_____
1|_____
2|_____
3|_____
4|_____
5|_____

You make a mark for how many exposed sides as you count each cube.
as long as you count correctly

each question you get for that figure you just have to look at how many sides it wants, look at your table and pick the correct choice.

Amazing scores. well done. Nice breakdown.
i'm relying heavily on Destroyer and crack the pat as well as cliff notes. DO you think that's enough?. I'm pretty good with math I did all math destroyer and i get about 25-30/40. I'm a bit nervous. I'm taking organic II right now it's what scares me the most.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Laptop/Hill method- For angles I look at acute angles and think to myself, if these were hills, which one looks like it'd be the one I want to ski down? (i blow at it) Usually if I look at the angle as an object, like a hill, instead of as an angle, it's easier to compare for some reason. For obtuse angles, some people like to use the hill technique and then revers it, but i think it's easier to just think of them as laptops, and think "if they were laptops, which on of these is more open?" Again, it might sound weird, but when looking at it as an object as opposed to an angle, it is easier to compare. These were in no way my ideas, I read them throughout SDN. Hope the explanation clears things up though.

If you haven't taken ochem II yet just watch Chad's videos. And then watch them again, and again. Then make sure nothing in Destroyer seems foreign to you. Don't just memorize the answer but know why it is the answer. If you can do that, you'll be able to do fine without having had the lecture in my opinion. If you're getting 20's-30's in the math destroyer I'd recommend going back and redoing all of the problems you got wrong a few times. It'll save you precious time on the real thing.

I'm going to post an in-depth step by step on my PAT techniques in about a week, because this week is really busy for me. Hope tis all helped!

I just finished my DAT and although I don't have one of those absurdly high scores, I think I still did pretty well, and owe a lot of credit to SDN.

i think your scores are absurdly high. Look at that Bio!! :thumbup:

Also, I've been noticing that everyone says Chad is great. I never got Chad's videos because I already paid so much for Destroyer, CDP, and Kaplan that I didn't want to pay even more. But now I'm starting to freak out because it seems that everyone who got >20 on Chem used Chad. Would you say it's absolutely necessary for someone who already kinda understands ochem? I'm not getting 20s on my practice tests but I have been getting ~%50 correct in Destroyer and I still plan to go through Destroyer at least one more time. Is Chad better for basic concepts?
Thanks!!

Last edited:
Nice going!

How long does it take to go thru chads Gen chem vids if you really focus on getting through them?

PLanning on starting may 9th... can i get thru them all in 2 weeks?

I wouldn't say Chad's videos are 100% necessary to get a 20+ if you know your stuff, but I strongly believe they will help anybody.

If you watch 2 gen chem and 2 ochem videos a day, it'll take you 2-3 hours a day and you will certainly finish in 2 weeks.

I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend getting the videos no matter what if you have at least a week left to study. They're the same price as a book and are completely worth it.

I just finished my DAT and although I don't have one of those absurdly high scores, I think I still did pretty well, and owe a lot of credit to SDN. I just wanted to return the favor and give all of the advice I can for future test takers.

PA 25 (99.7)
QR 21 (93.3)
RC 19 (59.8)
Bio 23 (98.0)
GC 22 (90.1)
OC 22 (91.5)
TS 22 (96.0)
AA 21 (93.0)

About the Actual Test:

Biology: I was asked 2 questions that weren't straight up factual, but required some analysis instead. I also had one picture in reference to a plant that I wasn't very sure about, but everything else was very straight forward. The questions did range from very broad, to very very very specific. I only had one taxonomy question and it was at the phylum level. Three questions were genetics related, none were on physiology, krebs, or photosynthesis (weird right?). On that note, I did read through chapters 19-21 in Campbell's, and I have to say, it was pretty unnecessary in the case of my test. Everything that I was asked could be found in Barron's AP biology review book. I happened to use Barron's instead of Cliff's only because I heard of it first. I read through it about 4 times, and then went through the glossary the morning of my test. The practice tests in the beginning, middle, and end of the book were very helpful. I wouldn't recommend going through lots and lots of sources, because you'll probably just know waaaay more info than you need. Learning Barron's inside and out will definitely get you 20+

General Chemistry: Like everyone else said, Chad's Videos plus Destroyer. I went through the Destroyer before Chad's videos and got maybe 20% correct. Went through it again after watching his videos and taking notes, still only got 60% right. Then I went back and only did the problems I got wrong. Then two days before the test I went through each problem carefully reading every answer and its explanation. I read through Chad's notes every few days to refresh my overall understanding. This part of the test was fairly simple. Don't just memorize the equations but really understand how to manipulate them. About half of the questions will ask you what will happen to _____ when _____ changes. The calculation were half in the form of you just had to pick the right set up and the other half you actually solve. I just used dimensional analysis for all and cancelled out where I could. Make sure you know how to balance all kinds of reactions, and know the period trends inside and out and you'll be golden.

Organic: Just like general, Chad's plus Destroyer. I used the same method here as I did for general, except I also added in the Road Maps. If you can recognize all of the reactions that go on during the Destroyer and understand all of the concepts in Chad's you're set. I got 6 questions on spectroscopy too...

Math: I used Math Destroyer, it is worth the money. I went through each test, averaging 27/40. Then I did all of the problems I got wrong. I did the first few tests again the week of my test too. About 25 problems were exactly like something you've seen in Destroyer, but the other 15 are ones you have to kind of reason out. Regardless, I could only reason it out because of things I had seen on Destroyer.

Reading: So for this I got two science based passages for my first ones and thought I was sittin pretty in the mid 20's. I barely had to read anything to answer the majority of the questions. Then came the piano passage. I really didn't think it was bad while I was doing it, but apparently it handed it to me. I skimmed through the first few passages, answered as many questions as I could, and then utilized search and destroy. Sorry I don't have many tips for this, but it's really not too difficult. Don't trust Achiever, I got 15s on that for RC.

Ressources
MUST BUY
Chad's Videos: they will single handedly get you 20+ in gen chem and ochem. No questions asked, you're robbing him at only 20 bucks for the month subscription. My 22's are because of you Chad.
Destroyer: Chad's videos will give you all of the concepts, and Destroyer will make sure you know how to put it to use. Don't use it as a practice test though. Instead, think of it as a different type of studying. Instead of reading, it puts info into question form. Understand not only why the right answer is correct, but why the wrong ones are incorrect. For bio, I wouldn't recommend memorizing these facts unless you have the time and energy, but I did have 5-6 questions that were word for word from the destroyer.
Math Destroyer: It gives you the simple how to on so many types of math problems. Also works on timing. After my first go around, I practiced finishing the tests in under 30 minutes.
Barron's AP Bio: Know this inside and out and you'll get 20+ in bio. Think of it as a study guide. Do the questions too, multiple were exactly the same here as well.
Crack DAT PAT: Just buy it. Then do it a few times with the above methods and say hello to 20+
NOT NECESSARY
Organic Odyssey: Complete Overkill. Some of the sections are very good at solidifying your knowledge though. Doing the spectroscopy section here saved me. Some of the sections like proteins and carbs weren't even worth a look. Get it if you want, because it's definitely helpful, but I don't think it'll bump you're score too much.
Achiever: This honestly just pissed me off. I got a 19/17/16 on the three science sections. I got a 18 on the PAT, and you already saw my reading scores. I didn't even take all of the tests because of how frustrated I was. Some people said it motivated them, but it just made me mad.
Some useful websites:
Statistics:http://www.omegamath.com/Data/d2.2.html
Easy science Reading: http://www.cliffsnotes.com/sciences-study-guides.html

Final Thoughts
For me the key was constantly mixing things up so I didn't get bored. Destroyer here, videos there, reading in between. I studied for a month about 8 hours a day. I did work out a lot in between, and took about 1-2 days off a week. I could've easily gotten the same score in half the time if I would've just gone from Chad's video's to Destroyer, memorizing Barron's, and going through Crack DAT PAT and Math Destroyer a few times. Hope this helps, and let me know if there's anything else I can do to give you guys a better idea of what to do. Thanks again to all of the previous people's breakdowns!
Congrats on your scores!!!:laugh: But if you don't mind me asking how specific was your studying on a daily process? Can you give examples on your detail studying??

on days I studied (i took 2 days off a week usually) it would look something like this:

Morning (9am-12pm)
-do 50 problems in GC destroyer (i did this first because it was my least favorite
-watch chad's video on gc
-do 50 problems in ochem
-watch chads video on ochem
-read a chapter in barrons bio

lunch, lift, dick around for a bit

afternoon (3pm-6pm)
-take PAT test from Crack DAT
-read barrons chapter
-take Math test from destroyer
-read barrons chapter

dinner, facebook, tv
-1 chads video +25sh more questions from destroyer from either gchem or ochem
-read barrons chapter
-read some random material (either look up some reactions i was shaky on, make flash cards from bio)

once 8 or 9 oclock hit I pretty much went on sdn, watched tv, hung out with my brother while going through notecards I made and reviewing some of the problems I got wrong throughout the day until i got tired and went to bed.

i took my test in the summer so I pretty much treated studying like it was my full time job

i found that consuming myself with the test and constantly reviewing made it common knowledge in my head so i didnt have to cram at the end. i also tried to vary what i was studying, by touching on each topic everyday so i didn't get overly bored. hope this helps

on days I studied (i took 2 days off a week usually) it would look something like this:

Morning (9am-12pm)
-do 50 problems in GC destroyer (i did this first because it was my least favorite
-do 50 problems in ochem

lunch, lift, dick around for a bit

afternoon (3pm-6pm)
-take PAT test from Crack DAT
-read barrons chapter
-take Math test from destroyer
-read barrons chapter

dinner, facebook, tv
-1 chads video +25sh more questions from destroyer from either gchem or ochem
-read barrons chapter
-read some random material (either look up some reactions i was shaky on, make flash cards from bio)

once 8 or 9 oclock hit I pretty much went on sdn, watched tv, hung out with my brother while going through notecards I made and reviewing some of the problems I got wrong throughout the day until i got tired and went to bed.

i took my test in the summer so I pretty much treated studying like it was my full time job

i found that consuming myself with the test and constantly reviewing made it common knowledge in my head so i didnt have to cram at the end. i also tried to vary what i was studying, by touching on each topic everyday so i didn't get overly bored. hope this helps
Thanks for your quick response!! But how many videos would you watch each for og and gc on your daily basis? I guess I must be taking a long time because it takes a few hours for me to go through just like 2-3 videos on gc. Maybe I am just slowly learning. I don't know how to pace myself and I am getting worried. I ABSOLUTELY DON'T HAVE GOOD MATH BACKGROUND and just received my math destroyer and its blowing me away!! Don't understand 80% -90% of it!!!:confused::confused:

everywhere I put "watched chad's video" i watched one, maybe 2 videos at the most.

so on average, I watched 3-4 a day.

Morning (9am-12pm)
-do 50 problems in ochem

WOW... How do you complete all of that in just 3 hrs? I guess I need some serious help with my studying habits.. maybe I'm just slow lol

its an approximation. sometimes chad's video would be under 20 minutes. sometimes it would be an hour and it would take me more than three hours. the barrons chapters are pretty short and once you go through chads videos and/or have seen the destroyer problem it doesn't take long to do the same problem again

these are all approximations though. everyday was different, sometimes this routine here would be 4 hours. sometimes i wouldnt even do this routine. over a 6 week span i really didn't have 2 identical days because i just liked to mix things up. this was my best effort to give a standard day though