Quantcast

DAT done 4/14/08 need advice about RC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ygenome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took DAT today.
PAT 20
QR 23
RC 17 :thumbdown:
Bio 22
GC 25
OC 23
TS 23
AA 22

I used Kaplan blue book, AP cliff, destroyer, TopScore and Crack DAT PAT.
I think these materials are enough for most of subjects except RC. There are lots of tone-type questions which I did not prepare well. Considering English is not my first language, I don't know if my RC score will make adcom concern about my reading. Should I retake the test although I'm very satisfied with other scores? Please give me some advices.

pasionatdentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
congratulation!!!! I have the same problem that English is not my first language. Any suggestion to study differently? Also How long Have you studied for DAT? I am planing to study for 3 months, enough?

SanOnofre2002

Huge member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do not retake! Your other scores are beyond good, so I don't see a 17 RC slowing you down. Besides a 17 isn't really that bad on one area. If your GPA is real good too (above 3.6 maybe), and you have some ECs, you should be able to get into any school. If you're in the 3.2 range you should apply to 15 schools, including some of the competitive ones. Congratulations you are in!

Mamona

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't think you need to retake your scores are very good. A 17 RC and english as a second language I think is good.... just make sure you mention somewhere that english is your second language;);)
How much time did you spend studying for the DAT????

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO NOT RETAKE.
17 is no problem at all imo. I know 17 is minimum for UCLA or UCSF so your good to go.
where do you want to apply?

nhasifuture

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
don't worry too much about the 17 on RC. Work on your PS and make sure to mention that English is not your primary language somewhere in your PS. Congrats, great scores.

jay47

Think Positively!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took DAT today.
PAT 20
QR 23
RC 17 :thumbdown:
Bio 22
GC 25
OC 23
TS 23
AA 22

I used Kaplan blue book, AP cliff, destroyer, TopScore and Crack DAT PAT.
I think these materials are enough for most of subjects except RC. There are lots of tone-type questions which I did not prepare well. Considering English is not my first language, I don't know if my RC score will make adcom concern about my reading. Should I retake the test although I'm very satisfied with other scores? Please give me some advices.

Great scores man, don't worry too much about low RC, schools take into consideration that English is not your native tongue.

Please, no one take this offensively, but I find it comical that those who speak a foreign language often smoke the QR section, yet do poorly on RC (although I would not consider 17 poor), while those of us native speakers do well on RC and bad on QR. I read in psychology that Asian cultures focus much more on math in school than Americans, and from the looks of things that seems to be true!