1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!

DAT done 4/3/14 21TS, 21AA, 23PAT

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by StumpMT, Apr 3, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. StumpMT

StumpMT 2+ Year Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Whelp I walked out of the testing facility about an hour ago and I must say that I'm happy to be done. However, I really wish I would've scored >20 in every section.

PAT 23
    QR 21
    RC 21
    BIO 19 :mad:
    GC 21 :confused:
    OC 25
    TS 21
    AA 21

PAT 23:
    Materials: DATBootcamp, DATqVault
    Scores: DATBootcamp 21, 23, 24, 22
    DATqVault 22, 22

I'm a very artistically inclined person and have been my entire life (I was originally a fine arts major) so this section just came naturally to me. I didn't study this section whatsoever and didn't really feel like I needed to. The test for me most closely matched that of qVault and Bootcamp. During pattern folding one answer choice (the correct one) looked EXACTLY the same as another, and I really tried to look for differences. It was so close that I almost called the proctor, but they wouldn't have been able to do anything so I just picked one and moved on.

QR 21:
    Materials: Chad, DAT Destroyer, DATBootcamp, DATqVault
    Scores: DATBootcamp 19, 19, 19, 21, 17
    DATqVault 19, 22, 24, 22

I've been pretty decent at math so I didn't think I would need to devote that much time to this section. I pretty much just watched Chad for an initial review of the basics (I graduated in 2008). After that I started going through Destroyer and missed about half the first time through but after going over my wrong answers and really trying to understand them began doing a lot better. Don't even get me started about Bootcamp. I know that it's meant to be harder and they even warn you but I swear there were times I just wanted to throw my computer out of a window. But it really taught me to just guess, mark it, and move on if I didn't know one right away or how to solve it. The real test was a lot easier and a whole lot more straight forward. Arcsin, arctan, etc did show up which I wasn't expecting at all.

RC 21:
    Materials: Scientific American, DATBootcamp, DATqVault
    Scores: DATBootcamp 19, 17, 22, 24, 29
    DATqVault 21

Ok, I HATE reading comprehension and this was by far the section I dreaded the most. For practice I just really tried to read a science article a day. I think I lucked out though because the articles on my test were very search and destroy friendly. Plus I enjoyed reading so that probably helped too. I didn't really use a specific strategy and just read them pretty quickly and then answered the questions. I tried straight S&D on a practice test and that just gave me palpitations so I decided to just practice what I was comfortable with. I'd say the best thing to do is quickly skim the article then employ the S&D technique. Skimming gives you an idea where to actually find the answers rather than just blinding searching.

BIO 19:
    Materials: Cliffs, Barron's, Ferali's, DAT Destroyer, DATBootcamp, DATqVault
    Scores: DATBootcamp 21, 17, 20, 18, 22
    DATqVault 21, 22, 19, 21, 22, 22, 19, 23, 20

I really thought I'd do better than this but as many others before me have said, it is VERY broad. I felt this was the most random section and a few questions just really threw me off and I swear I just blanked a couple times. It could've been that it was at the beginning and my nerves hadn't settled. I began by reading Cliffs and Barron's and then going through Destroyer and reviewing Ferali's (amazing!!!!). I had a copy of Ferali's on all of my work computers (I work in a medical lab and rotate stations each day) and would review a little each day. Bootcamp and qVault were awesome for this section. The types of questions and answer explanations were spot on to the actual test.

GC 21:
    Materials: CHAD, DATDestroyer, DATBootcamp, DATqVault
    Scores: DATBootcamp 17, 19, 23, 18, 20
    DATqVault 21, 21, 20, 24, 22, 22, 24, 24, 26

Based on my qVault scores I really thought I was going to kill this section, but I'll take the 21. What can I say? CHAD IS THE MAN!!!! I last took a general chemistry course in 2006 so I had all but forgotten just about everything. Chad was definitely a life saver. I took meticulous notes and then neatly re-copied those notes into a composition book. I then scanned that into a PDF file and would review a little each day while at work. The key is that you need to take notes while watching his videos and then afterwards take the quiz. After the initial review I started the Destroyer and well......it destroyed me. The explanations were great and I wrote down every wrong answer and explanation. Doing that really helped to solidify the concepts. The test was very represented by Bootcamp and qVault.

OC 25:
    Materials: CHAD, DATDestroyer, DATBootcamp, DATqVault
    Scores: DATBootcamp 17, 18, 19, 22, 21
    DATqVault 19, 19, 22, 29, 22, 21, 19, 21, 21

Sooooo based on these practice scores I didn't think I'd do as well as I did. Go figure. Again...CHAD!!!! I took organic in 2007 and really didn't take the time to learn it back then so I was pretty much starting from scratch. If I had Chad back then organic would've been a breeze. This is where he shines and I really enjoyed learning it. As with general chemistry I took lots of notes and re-copied those and would review a chapter a day while at work. The Destroyer just punches you in the face the first time you go through it but don't worry about it. Just use it as a learning tool. As far as the test goes I'd say that Bootcamp and qVault were very slightly harder than the actual test, which was a joke. I started orgo with 30 minutes left and had 12 minutes left when I was done. I got a few IR/NMR questions and a biochem question so make sure you review those. A lot of people recommend memorizing the road maps in Destroyer but if you know the reactions then this really isn't necessary, except for maybe recognizing a rarely seen reaction.

Overall I'm happy with my scores....even with the recent destructions of the DAT by others this week. I want to thank Chad for his amazing videos, Ari at DATBootcamp for putting together an excellent website, Ferali for his amazingly concise notes, and Glimmer for the amazing breakdown list that led me in the right direction.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ASOT

ASOT 2+ Year Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Congrats! Nice PAT and Ochem especially! I took mine yesterday and it feels so good to be done!

4. hongbinbaneben

hongbinbaneben 2+ Year Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Awesome scores! Congrats!

5. customx

customx 7+ Year Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Great scores and I know exactly how you feel with the 19. PAT was my best section on all my practice exams, consistently scoring 21-24. Of course it was my lowest score on the DAT and the only one where I didn't score 21 or above.

6. StumpMT

StumpMT 2+ Year Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Thanks! Yeah, that 19 sticks out like a sore thumb! I can't be too upset though because according to the 2014 guide the average enrollee AA, TS, and PAT are 19.9, 19.8, and 20.0 respectively, and I'm above that sooo yeah. Those DAT ranges are ridiculous! How does someone get enrolled with an AA of 12?

7. Dotoday

Dotoday 7+ Year Member

May 27, 2007
    Good job on those scores? Do you think it is best to take many practise tests, or better go through materials like Cambells, Barrons or cliffs, Odyssey, Destroyer or Organic chem as a second language?

8. Ari Rezaei

Ari Rezaei Senior Member Lifetime Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Mar 14, 2012
    New York, NY
    Nice! Good job on those scores, don't sweat the 19, your scores are great. Congratulations!

9. clutchfans

clutchfans 2+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Nice dude, beast mode. Be happy that you're done!

10. clutchfans

clutchfans 2+ Year Member

Feb 28, 2014
    My guess, knowing people in the right places or some one who can sell you flood insurance in the Sahara Desert

11. StumpMT

StumpMT 2+ Year Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I liked taking lots of practice tests because it exposed me to all kinds of different questions. It also helps see the same types of questions looking for the same thing but worded slightly different. Destroyer was an excellent learning tool, and I never used Campbell's, Odyssey, or Ochem as second language so I can't comment on those. Barrons lays a decent foundation with which to build on with Feralis.

Dotoday likes this.
  12. SmileDesignersDDS

SmileDesignersDDS

Mar 22, 2014
    Wow sick scores. Don't worry your bio and gen chem is quite alright. It also looks like you killed the math! I guess I should use the math destroyer more!

Dotoday likes this.
  13. StumpMT

StumpMT 2+ Year Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Indiana
    Oh and one thing was a pleasant surprise when I went through the tutorial at the beginning; I was informed that I was able to use the keypad for the on-screen calculator. That saved lots of timed.

14. Godspeedyou

Godspeedyou 2+ Year Member

Nov 8, 2011
    how long did you study for? hours per day? etc

15. StumpMT

StumpMT 2+ Year Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I'd say I began to really study in December. Between working full-time, working out 4-5 days a week, taking a class, shadowing, and volunteering I was able to get a couple hours in on the days I worked and 5-6 on days I was off. Knowing when my test was I requested three days off beforehand and I did about 12hrs worth of practice tests and review two and three days before, and some light review the day before.

Godspeedyou likes this.
  16. biomolecmed

biomolecmed 2+ Year Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Solid scores. Awesome job.