DAT Done...7/13/11...FINALLY!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socr1216

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so here's a brief breakdown of my situation, scores and materials...

I applied to about 12-13 dental schools two years ago with the scores below, a 3.3uGPA etc etc...I knew it wasnt super competitive but I thought I would at least get an interview or two...nope. So I started a masters program in which I am half done with a 4.0GPA...

my scores...

~~~~~2009~~ 7/13/11
PAT ~~~19~~~ 22
QR ~~~19~~~ 23
RC ~~~17~~~ 22
BIOL ~19 ~~~ 20
GC ~~~ 20 ~~~19
OC ~~~ 20~~~ 21
TS ~~~ 20 ~~~ 20
AA 19 (75.2%) 21(93.4%)

I knew this was the only chance I had to help my application this time around because after getting rejections from each school I applied to last time, it was either now or never.

Semi - breakdown...(i just want a beer and sleep...don't expect much out of this.. lol)

Materials -
1. Topscore - 1,2,3 (all three were 19s, taken 3,5,and7 days before real test)
2. DAT Destroyer
3. Math Destroyer
4. Cliffs AP Biol
5. KBB
6. Crack DAT (PAT, reading, math, and Science) - DO NOT GET SCIENCE or reading for that...CD really sucked for those two, but PAT was invaluable!

PAT - This section was exactly like Crack DAT PAT. I did the first 6-7 tests and my scores ranged between 19-22, so i didn't think This would be that much of a problem. Angles on the real test were hard as hell, but TFE, hole punching..etc were just about on par with CDP.

QR - Math Destroyer all the way!! I would always have problems finishing in time so timing myself with destroyer definitely helped out. There were more word problems on the real DAT then I was used to. That sort of phased me as I finished with 23 seconds left...but I felt pretty well prepared using Math Destroyer.

RC - This was where I had the most difficulty last time and as you can tell, the scores drastically improved. I originally used kaplans method of reading each paragraph and writing down key words or phrases. and then going thru the questions to figure 'em out. Huge waste of time imo...my strategy this time was read the first question and search and destroy. I would mark the "tone/non-S&Dable" questions and come back to those at the end of the section, which by then, I had skimmed thru quite a few times. This method was definitely a lot better then any others I tried using...

BIOL - Very random indeed...There were about 4 questions where I narrowed down answer to like 2-3 possibles. but yeh, I was taken aback to see this many wierd questions. I used Cliffs BIO AP along with KBB from last time I took it to re-inforce. Then I went through DAT Destroyer BIO X2 so I could association certain topics and words together.

OC and GC...chad, chad, chad..What a beast. His videos went through about 98% of the material I came across on any practice materials so I would definitely take my time taking notes and taking the quizzes at the end of each video. Also, the .pdfs for each "DAY" were amazing, and I went over those the night before/day of DAT. I also went thru Destroyer one time, but was discouraged as I couldn't even get half the questions right and constantly checked answers..but good practice none the less!

Overall, I thought this test was a lot easier then my first DAT. I was fairly well prepared last time but succombed to pressure. I hope that this along with doing well in my Masters program, having done research and being co-authored, and continueing to volunteer/shadow help out my application. :xf:

Anyway sorry for grammatical in-correctness...I really just want to sleep, but thought i'd share scores and breakdown for those who care!

If you have any questions feel free to ask, and good luck to all of you studying!! it'll be well worth it :D

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so here's a brief breakdown of my situation, scores and materials...

I applied to about 12-13 dental schools two years ago with the scores below, a 3.3uGPA etc etc...I knew it wasnt super competitive but I thought I would at least get an interview or two...nope. So I started a masters program in which I am half done with a 4.0GPA...

my scores...

~~~~~2009~~ 7/13/11
PAT ~~~19~~~ 22
QR ~~~19~~~ 23
RC ~~~17~~~ 22
BIOL ~19 ~~~ 20
GC ~~~ 20 ~~~19
OC ~~~ 20~~~ 21
TS ~~~ 20 ~~~ 20
AA 19 (75.2%) 21(93.4%)

I knew this was the only chance I had to help my application this time around because after getting rejections from each school I applied to last time, it was either now or never.

Semi - breakdown...(i just want a beer and sleep...don't expect much out of this.. lol)

Materials -
1. Topscore - 1,2,3 (all three were 19s, taken 3,5,and7 days before real test)
2. DAT Destroyer
3. Math Destroyer
4. Cliffs AP Biol
5. KBB
6. Crack DAT (PAT, reading, math, and Science) - DO NOT GET SCIENCE or reading for that...CD really sucked for those two, but PAT was invaluable!

PAT - This section was exactly like Crack DAT PAT. I did the first 6-7 tests and my scores ranged between 19-22, so i didn't think This would be that much of a problem. Angles on the real test were hard as hell, but TFE, hole punching..etc were just about on par with CDP.

QR - Math Destroyer all the way!! I would always have problems finishing in time so timing myself with destroyer definitely helped out. There were more word problems on the real DAT then I was used to. That sort of phased me as I finished with 23 seconds left...but I felt pretty well prepared using Math Destroyer.

RC - This was where I had the most difficulty last time and as you can tell, the scores drastically improved. I originally used kaplans method of reading each paragraph and writing down key words or phrases. and then going thru the questions to figure 'em out. Huge waste of time imo...my strategy this time was read the first question and search and destroy. I would mark the "tone/non-S&Dable" questions and come back to those at the end of the section, which by then, I had skimmed thru quite a few times. This method was definitely a lot better then any others I tried using...

BIOL - Very random indeed...There were about 4 questions where I narrowed down answer to like 2-3 possibles. but yeh, I was taken aback to see this many wierd questions. I used Cliffs BIO AP along with KBB from last time I took it to re-inforce. Then I went through DAT Destroyer BIO X2 so I could association certain topics and words together.

OC and GC...chad, chad, chad..What a beast. His videos went through about 98% of the material I came across on any practice materials so I would definitely take my time taking notes and taking the quizzes at the end of each video. Also, the .pdfs for each "DAY" were amazing, and I went over those the night before/day of DAT. I also went thru Destroyer one time, but was discouraged as I couldn't even get half the questions right and constantly checked answers..but good practice none the less!

Overall, I thought this test was a lot easier then my first DAT. I was fairly well prepared last time but succombed to pressure. I hope that this along with doing well in my Masters program, having done research and being co-authored, and continueing to volunteer/shadow help out my application. :xf:

Anyway sorry for grammatical in-correctness...I really just want to sleep, but thought i'd share scores and breakdown for those who care!

If you have any questions feel free to ask, and good luck to all of you studying!! it'll be well worth it :D

i dont understand how 2 years ago a 19 AA didnt render ANY interviews when the nationwide average acceptance is a 19? Thats just so weird to me

i dont understand how 2 years ago a 19 AA didnt render ANY interviews when the nationwide average acceptance is a 19? Thats just so weird to me

Well you can not just base acceptance off of the DAT.. Ill let the OP explain why he did not get interviews, but from his predents profile he had a 3.3 GPA. You are correct that a 19 was the nationwide average, but I want to say its like a 3.53 is the nationwide GPA, so that may have played a factor. Do not assume just because you do well on the DAT or poorly on the DAT that you do not have a shot.

To OP awesome job man! great improvement!

you also dont know how early/late he/she applied to how many schools and if they came off interesting and genuine during the interview. (remember everyone has a perceived bias in their mind before they interview you... and if you fit their positive or negative mold then that alone determines whether you get in)

Members don't see this ad :)

that makes two of us. I applied to about 12-13 schools all across the US, including the three instate (TX). It had to have been due to my low GPA (3.3) or I'm convinced it was anyway. My ECs were great, and I had plenty of experience hours. I applied before June end last time, and was definitely disappointed to not receive any interviews. but im not going to dwell on that. What happened, happened for a reason, and I'm here today, with a re-take in hand and a greatly improved resume regarding dental schools so :xf: it goes well from here.

Interesting. I've S&D doesn't work well now, and to use a method like kaplans

oh and bravo of course :)

Great improvement!!

For the PAT -- I've heard a lot of people say the 'line counting' method for the TFE didn't work on the real DAT. Would you say that's true?

Interesting. I've S&D doesn't work well now, and to use a method like kaplans

oh and bravo of course :)

I was very skeptical about using my method (S&D and tone ?s after) as I had practiced only with topscore beforehand, and topscore had pretty much no tone/inference questions. but the ones that I got were mostly specific to certain paragraphs, and not broad tone questions about the whole passage, which worked out best for me!

Great improvement!!

For the PAT -- I've heard a lot of people say the 'line counting' method for the TFE didn't work on the real DAT. Would you say that's true?

Thanks!! Definitely feels good with this under my belt :D. and I would definitely agree. for Topscore "line counting" worked, but there were some pretty wierdly shaped objects on this section and keyhole section (on the real thing...). I would practice using CDP to visualize the structure as much in 3D as possible and go from there. I know its complicated, but thats the best strategy I feel. Good luck to you!

great job btw! u should def get in somewhere! where did u do ur masters @? and was it a 2 years or 1 year program?

Well you can not just base acceptance off of the DAT.. Ill let the OP explain why he did not get interviews, but from his predents profile he had a 3.3 GPA. You are correct that a 19 was the nationwide average, but I want to say its like a 3.53 is the nationwide GPA, so that may have played a factor. Do not assume just because you do well on the DAT or poorly on the DAT that you do not have a shot.

To OP awesome job man! great improvement!

i perfectly understand this, but 13 schools and not ONE interview? That just seems so weird .... Just really weird. but then again, his 19 AA was in the mid 70's percentile range when my 19 AA was in the high 80's... So maybe i might be freakin the hell out for no reason. We'll see. Im probably gona think bout retaking ... Sigh