DAT done 7/18/09... Breakdown and Low QR help! :-(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

printer21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My real scores today were the following:
Biol - 19
GC - 22
OC - 23
PAT - 20
RC - 18
QA - 16 :(
TS - 21
AA - 20

My GPA is 3.3 and sGPA is 3.1. Have one year of college left and first time taking DAT. So kinda worried about what my chances are, especially after the epic fail in QR and low GPA. I know I'm supposed to contact schools individually but was seeing if anyone had any advise and if I should retake. I really do not want to do post-grad or a masters.

Here's my break down:

Biol - I used Barron's Biology and did the Destroyer Biology once. There were a lot of things in Destroyer I didn't memorize.

Chem - Did destroyer atleast twice, did questions I got wrong more times.

OC - I got C+'s in both my organic chemisry courses so I really studied for this. I used MCAT exam crackers Organic to learn (yes, LEARN, not review) a lot of concepts and did Destroyer atleast twice. I also used my Organic text book a LOT. Guess it paid off in the end. Hope they'll overlook my grades.

PAT - I got the 5 exam Crack DAT Pat and did over 9 practice exams in addition to Crack DAT Pat and repeated a few where needed.

RC - Almost every practice exam had questions which you can find WORD-FOR-WORD in the reading passage. However, my first two passages today were very difficult and I had to skip almost 10 questions and make educated guesses on like 5 or 6 more. I used search and destroy and it really killed me in this. I really suggest against search and destroy just because of this. I thought it was game over but the last passage was easy and saved me, got every single question right I'm pretty sure.

QA - If you asked me yesterday, I would've bet money that this would've been my HIGHEST score. Not only did I study a lot for this section, memorize all kinds of conversion constants (like 1.6 km = 1 mile) AND score between 20-23 on ALL my practice tests, I'm also ASIAN... I got a frekin 760 on my Math SAT LOL... I didn't even feel like I was tired while doing this section. I kept calculating answers that weren't answer choices and had to skip them. I also didn't know a lot of trig which f@%@ed me over. I ended running out of time and guessing on 7-8 questions that I had skipped earlier. I also had trouble reducing 66/9...kept reducing it to 11/3 for some reason :laugh:....

Members don't see this ad.

i took the DAT this morning, and had the SAME problem with the QR! it was killer, normally i do pretty well with math!
other than your QR, you have awesome science scores! :)
where are you planning on applying?

I'm applying to Midwestern, Western, UOP, USC, Howard, Louisville, Tufts, BU, Maryland, Michigan, Creighton, NYU, Temple, Meharry, VCU and UNC. I'm a NC resident and UNC's my first choice. I'm not an URM so Meharry and Howard are a waste. I'm also wondering if my scores are high enough for UOP...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to Midwestern, Western, UOP, USC, Howard, Louisville, Tufts, BU, Maryland, Michigan, Creighton, NYU, Temple, Meharry, VCU and UNC. I'm a NC resident and UNC's my first choice. I'm not an URM so Meharry and Howard are a waste. I'm also wondering if my scores are high enough for UOP...
Your scores are fine. Although your RC might make it tough for you to get into UoP. They really like high PA and RC scores. I'm sure you'll get some interviews from those schools.
Good luck :thumbup:

i think you will be fine QR is the least important .What were some of your practice scores in RC and the rest?

i think you will be fine QR is the least important .What were some of your practice scores in RC and the rest?

Thx for the advise, thats disappointing to hear about UOP.. :-/ By the way, anyone know about Columbia? Or any other schools that may take low GPA, decent/high DAT scores?

Here are my practice scores. These are in order of which I took them, the first was like 1 month ago where as the last is 2 days ago. I did skip some RC tests, especialy after I scored a 22 in the last one.. -.-

Kaplan CD Test
Biol - 19
GC - 19
OC - 19
PAT - 19
RC - ??
QA - 21

Top Score Test 1
Biol - 17
GC - 16
OC - 17
PAT - 20
QA - 19
RC - 19

Achiever Test 1
Biol - 19
GC - 20
OC - 23
PAT - 16
RC - 21
QA - 20

Top Score Test 2
Biol - 19
GC - 18
OC - 18
PAT - 21
QA - 20
RC - 20

Achiever Test 2
Biol - 17
GC - 16
OC - 19
PAT - 18
QA - 20

Achiever Test 3
Biol - 17
GC - 18
OC - 19
PAT - 18
RC - 22
QA - 21

Top Score 3
Biol - 17
GC - 18
OC - 21
PAT - 21
QA - 23

I know UNC doesnt care much about QR. However they want a high RC. Im sure you will get an interview. All the best!

What would you suggest for RC?

TBH, I dont think you can really study for it after what happened yesterday.. Being a natural good reader helps. The practice tests only help you so much since they're so much easier...

Nice scores!

What do you think of Destroyer? Especially for Ochem and GChem...
Do you think it adequately prepared you for those sections?