DAT done 7/18/09 (pianoed!!!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cougarpride

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just finished my DAT....here are my scores. Need some advice on whether to retake or not...or just apply with my score

PAT - 18
QR - 21
RC - 16 :mad:
BIOL - 18
CHEM - 19
O CHEM - 22
TS - 19
AA - 19

here's a breakdown of what i think of the exam

Biology - pretty random, but they were straightforward. it's do-able. i used Cliffs AP, Destroyer, Kaplan Review Book, and skim through MCAT Biology hyperlearning

Chemistry - only like maybe 2 that you had to calculate yourself, the rest were set up for you. alottttt of concepts. i used destroyer and kaplan

Organic Chem - probably the easiest science. very basic 1 step reactions. a few concepts, know your Sn1 Sn2 E1 E2 reactions. I used destroyer and kaplan

PAT - I thought the test was pretty easy....very surprised by my scores. TFE and keyholes were comparable to CDP. Angels are probably a little harder. Hole Punching and Cube counting were easier than CDP....pattern folding is about on par with CDP. Dissappointed because I been getting 20s and 21s and a 22 on all 10 CDP test.

RC - pianoed...enough said. I went to take a break after the PAT and was praying that I wouldn't get pianoed...and what do you know the first passage PIANO!!! I skipped through the entire passage and went to the last two passages which I didn't think were quite difficult. Piano questions were just ridiculus alot of references. I did search and destroy method for this part. Only used topscore and DAT achiever to practice this section

QR - I skipped all the word problems and did the easy ones first. came back and did all the ones i could do and i barely finished in time. Only used the math part of DAT destroyer, topscore, and dat achiever for this section.

Overall I'm pretty dissappointed with my score...I was aiming to get AT LEAST a 20, and the RC section just killed me! I'm a texas resident and applying to the three texas schools. My science gpa is 3.64, non-science is 3.78 and cumulative is a 3.70, and I have tons of shadowing/volunteering hours. Will I get an interview from a Texas school with these scores?!?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

what is meant by the term "pianoed"?

when you're concentrating on RC section and somebody in the testing center starts playing beethoven or mozart loudly, hence taking away from your concentration. it's a tactic the ADA sometimes uses to see just how well you can really work with distractions.

Rest assured everyone....everyone knows that life is so unfair and cruel.

That's why the official ADA DAT score report will have an asterik next to your score if you were "pianoed" or "frapped."

The score is then recalculated to add 2 points to your RC score.

Members don't see this ad :)
when you're concentrating on RC section and somebody in the testing center starts playing beethoven or mozart loudly, hence taking away from your concentration. it's a tactic the ADA sometimes uses to see just how well you can really work with distractions.

:laugh: if only ada had a sense of humor

LOL? and i heard of people getting like "frapped" or something? whats that?

WTF? thats not fair.. they do it to some people and not others? and i heard of people getting like "frapped" or something? whats that?

When they serve you a ice cold frappachino straight from starbucks in order to distract your attention away from the test. ADA tests whether you're able to concentration when having such a delight.

When they serve you a ice cold frappachino straight from starbucks in order to distract your attention away from the test. ADA tests whether you're able to concentration when having such a delight.

getting frapped might also come about if you down a frappuccino right before your exam, and it eventually takes part of your intestine hostage at some point (usually during the RC), causing mild to severe discomfort.

lol @ all the responses. but yeah, can anyone please provide me insight of my scores and my chances? will the RC really hold me back from getting interviews and stuff?

well then i hope they frap me, i love caramel fraps

Are you guys serious about this ... being "pianoed" or "frapped" story? I've never heard about this before... sounds so bizarre... :confused:

That's why the official ADA DAT score report will have an asterik next to your score if you were "pianoed" or "frapped."

what????:confused:

Are you guys serious about this ... being "pianoed" or "frapped" story? I've never heard about this before... sounds so bizarre... :confused:

Only occurs on certain tests and depending what test center you go to, they'll play a different song or serve a different frap.

Cougar - there are cutoffs to certain schools, at least a 15. You might want to check with them. Other than that your scores are solid.

Members don't see this ad :)

Is that a fact?:laugh:

I'm sure frap and piano aren't the only super hard passages. There got to be some other tough ones, nonetheless, these 2 got advertised the most.

Ouch, but sadly there is no excuse for a lower RC, even if you got a piano passage. It is up to your ability to read and comprehend and you already stated the reason why you did poor. You just used search and destroy, which does not work for piano. You need to really read the passage and have a good idea of what it's talking about.

But what's done is done. Your DAT scores are slightly above average but you have a nice competitive GPA. Good luck.

Only occurs on certain tests and depending what test center you go to, they'll play a different song or serve a different frap...

my thoughts exactly. my friend got pianoed AND frapped once with a rendition of '99 problems' by jay-z and a mocha frap with 2% milk. being lactose intolerant, he didn't do too well near the end.

call up some schools, get their opinions (since they're the ones who will make the decisions) whether you should to retake

thanks for all the responses, including the funny ones. gave me a great laugh hahaha. i spent the past two days relaxing and deciding what to do, so i am going to just submit my application. Although i'm not a longtime member, i've been trolling around the forums for the past year, and this site has been very helpful to me. Thanks SDN!!!