DAT Done 7/28/11! Kaplan's all you need :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

copticdentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats on your scores.

STOP butchering Kaplan!

KBB has always been a standard, very few ppl bash it. However for $1200 class the return is not anywhere near as good as it should be. They don't update their materials, instructors often lack teaching ability.

if you're using Kaplan, DO NOT get discouraged by what others say.

Cliffs+Destroyer+Chad's videos is less than a Kaplan class. Most ppl are able to afford these materials considering application costs alone are a lot more. Kaplan subject exams are a pretty good resource, I haven't seen anyone bash them that bad.

Saying Kaplan is all you need sends the wrong message, I feel.

Hey everyone, I took my DAT yesterday and thought I'd share my scores and a little bit about how I studied. You guys have all been extremely helpful and I feel like I wanna give back to this community, so here goes nothin.

First of all, all you people who hate on Kaplan, I'm living proof that it's enough to pull off a 20+AA. Every time I got on here, I'd get pretty discouraged by the people who need to study out of Destroyer, Cliffs, and all that other good stuff. Now I'm not saying these aren't good materials to prepare for yourself, but STOP butchering Kaplan! I felt like it really prepared me. I basically took 6 weeks after my Kaplan course to study on my own, and did a total of 4 full-length practice exams (not including the diagnostic). I peaked at an 18AA, 23PAT and 16TS :/ and I was beginning to get frustrated. Still, I chose to go ahead and take the DAT since I was going out of town immediately after and had no other choice. This is what I pulled off:

PAT: 23 (I also went through 4 Crack DAT PAT quizzes, and peaked at 23...I highly recommend it.)
QR: 19 (I had a headache and was extremely dizzy by this section. I was scoring 21-22 on Kaplan's QR)
RC: 24 (pretty straightforward passages, even had some time to go back and check - although this very rarely happened on Kaplan's exams)
BIO: 17 (I know, a little bit low, but I was peaking at a 17 on Kaplan, and people said this would drop on the real thing, but I brushed that off and still pulled this off)
GC: 20 (I was peaking at 17 as well for this section)
OC: 18 (I was peaking at 17)
TS: 18 (peaking at 16)
AA: 20

Bottom line - if you're using Kaplan, DO NOT get discouraged by what others say. It really is enough...you just have to go through the workshops, then each corresponding quiz. There aren't that many, it shouldn't take you that long. Then take a full-length every week (like every Monday, for example). Then go through your incorrect answers and make flashcards out of them. Go back through these flashcards every once in a while and make sure you understand the pretty well. I did this for 6 week-ish, and got the score I wanted, thank God. Good luck to all the people studying, I'm praying for you...hope you reach your goals :)

Yo, your performance, although not bad, is not enough to validate your claim that Kaplan is enough. Without that 24 RC score, your AA would've been 18 or 19 at best. 18-19 is exactly what Kaplan will do for most people. The average scores for incoming dental students is 19 across the board. Thus everyone is aiming for 20+ scores (and that's what Destroyer and Chad's delivers for many people). Sorry, but you did not really achieve that with your 20 AA. This confirms more that Kaplan is not enough.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not that the Kaplan courses are bad, it's just that, value-wise, it's a horrible investment for most people.

You can get a package that contains Chad's, DAT destroyer, Crack the DAT Ace, Cliff's Bio etc. for a fraction of the cost. And they provide better practice material than what you get from Kaplan.

What you get for the extra 700$ is someone to read the Kaplan book verbatim for you, and practice material that are outdated.

Like LG2DS stated, if your RC (which cannot be taught, because it's the one that relies on mostly innate knowledge), was removed, we'd be looking at an 18 AA.

If you used other aforementioned study material, it'll be certain that you can score higher than an 18 TS.

if you're aiming to be average, then sure, Kaplan will do it. But if u want to score top 10 percentile, Kaplan's stuff isn't enough.

Dude, a thousand dollars for an 18 in TS? I spent 200 on chad's video and Crack PAT and got a 21AA,21TS,21PAT. Give me 1200 bucks and I would have given you better scores plus a thousand dollars for a vacation.

Everyone knows nothing can drastically improve your reading comprehension. I just winged that section and got a 25. Don't tell us Kaplan improved your reading skills because it just can't. Its something you build on over a lifetime.

Your scores are good and no one denies that, but I think you would have scored a 21+ by using what other people are using.

Glad you did well on exam. I'd say about 1/2 the predent at my school take Kap course. It's costly but so are the other materials. If you buy all the standard prep pack (CDP, CDR, Achiever, Topscore, Godfrey, Cliffs AP, Cliffs DAT, Barrons DAT, Destroyer Ultimate, KBB, Chad etc) you stand to spend about 1000$. Either way, whatever works.

Destroyer alone would've easily given you a 20 TS.

Also, Kaplan is fine for gchem and ochem, but its biggest weakness is biology. They call themselves the "leaders in test prep" but last time I checked, they haven't updated any of their biology material to reflect new changes that were implemented in 2007.

Biology is an important section and furthermore, it also contributes more heavily to the TS score since biology is weighted more (bio has 40 questions while both chem sections have 30).

If you want to hit 23+ for both TS and AA....Kaplan is not all you need. If you need a 18-20....sure, Kaplan will do the trick.

Also, Kaplan is fine for gchem and ochem, but its biggest weakness is biology. They call themselves the "leaders in test prep" but last time I checked, they haven't updated any of their biology material to reflect new changes that were implemented in 2007.

Biology is an important section and furthermore, it also contributes more heavily to the TS score since biology is weighted more (bio has 40 questions while both chem sections have 30).

If you want to hit 23+ for both TS and AA....Kaplan is not all you need. If you need a 18-20....sure, Kaplan will do the trick.

23+ for TS and AA would place you somewhere in the mid to high 90's in terms of percentile, would it not? So by definition it isn't realistic for everybody to expect they can put up those numbers, regardless of what resources you use.

There are obviously different test versions. Kaplan Blue Book was sufficient to cover 80-90% of the questions that I got on my Bio section. I also used Schaums biology outlines, Destroyer, and DATQvault. Schaum's was not even necessary, the more difficult questions were covered by Destroyer and DATQvault.

I'd say that Destroyer wasn't really necessary...for me at least. All of my materials, beside KBB and Achiever, were borrowed from the library lol So in comparison with op, I think I saved a lot. So yeah, it really doesn't matter what resources you use. What's important is if your material will prepare you for the test. And I think whether that will happen or not really depends on your judgement.

Last edited:
Yo, your performance, although not bad, is not enough to validate your claim that Kaplan is enough. Without that 24 RC score, your AA would've been 18 or 19 at best. 18-19 is exactly what Kaplan will do for most people. The average scores for incoming dental students is 19 across the board. Thus everyone is aiming for 20+ scores (and that's what Destroyer and Chad's delivers for many people). Sorry, but you did not really achieve that with your 20 AA. This confirms more that Kaplan is not enough.

Obviously, you didn't understand my point. What I was trying to get across, was that many people on SDN especially make Kaplan out to be "too easy" of a source, like this guy: http://206.82.221.135/showthread.php?t=759397 and multiple others. I was saying that although my score peaked at an 18AA on Kaplan, I hit a 20AA on the real thing with no problem.

Thank you for telling me my scores were bad, I appreciate the love. But, I'm very happy with them. It was a good attempt at making me feel like I performed poorly, but unfortunately it failed.

Obviously, you didn't understand my point. What I was trying to get across, was that many people on SDN especially make Kaplan out to be "too easy" of a source, like this guy: http://206.82.221.135/showthread.php?t=759397 and multiple others. I was saying that although my score peaked at an 18AA on Kaplan, I hit a 20AA on the real thing with no problem.

Thank you for telling me my scores were bad, I appreciate the love. But, I'm very happy with them. It was a good attempt at making me feel like I performed poorly, but unfortunately it failed.

C'mon bro, why are you singling me out?? Others on this thread have said the same thing which was your 20AA score is kind of misleading to validate Kaplan. I mean when you see these scores:

Bio 17
OC 18
GC 20
QR 19
TS 18

That's basically 18-19 AA in most people's eyes. When you add in a 24 RC score (which wasn't due to Kaplan) it jumps to 20. So your Kaplan peak of 18 AA is pretty much what it delivered for you.

If you're happy with your scores, then all the power to you. But our consensus response was directed at your thread title "Kaplan is all you need" which most people disagree with.

Members don't see this ad :)
is 18/20 really that bad? last I checked RC is actually important.... 24 RC. Now that's impressive. Haters gonna hate.....

is 18/20 really that bad? last I checked RC is actually important.... 24 RC. Now that's impressive. Haters gonna hate.....

18 is not bad, but it's no sure thing either. To provide an example, I had a discussion with a Director of Admissions last spring and what I needed to score to gain admission. He said that if I score 20s across the board, then I'm basically in (and I have a pretty high GPA too). And if I scored lower than 20 in any section besides QR, then there would be a scrutiny of my transcript. I'm not saying that one must score 20+ but it makes it that much easier and hence why everyone is trying to achieve it.

I agree about the Kap course not being enuff...Ive already explained my views on kaplan being too easy compared to the real DAT

Good scores....Im sure u put in the hard work, but Don give all the credit to kaplan...Their PAT sucks hence u buying CDP indicates Kaplan pat is useless...

Bio in kaplan is BS...too simple compared to the real DAT...

CDP ace edition, Cliffs,Chads, DAT and MATH destroyer, topscore,KWB,Achiever(mayb) is def much more helpful in terms of prep

All the above combined should cost you around 700-800$ which is much much cheaper and worthwhile than Kaplan...and this is assuming you get the Crack DAT ace edition which if you dont and you just get CDP ull minimize your above cost by 100$...

All you get with Kaplan 1200$ course is nothing thats enuf to prepare you for the DAT, and u get instructors who mostly are in kaplan for the money so no big help from them

I think the Kaplan written materials are a great introduction to the content, but I attribute my high scores to other resources as well (namely TopScore, Achiever, and my Bio textbook). I don't think that I would have been able to pull off a 23 TS, 22 AA, and 22 PAT by *just* using Kaplan.

18 is not bad, but it's no sure thing either. To provide an example, I had a discussion with a Director of Admissions last spring and what I needed to score to gain admission. He said that if I score 20s across the board, then I'm basically in (and I have a pretty high GPA too). And if I scored lower than 20 in any section besides QR, then there would be a scrutiny of my transcript. I'm not saying that one must score 20+ but it makes it that much easier and hence why everyone is trying to achieve it.

Hey, at which school did you meet this admin director?

Kaplan is a great base and it is great for people who don't know how to start studying on their own (+those who have the money to pay for a structured classroom). But, I knew of someone who took Kaplan 3 times...yep 3 times. Scored maybe 17's-18's-19's. He took a 4th attempt using Destroyer and ended up with a 21 AA. Just an example. But, the thing about Kaplan...it isn't necessarily easier than the test...some of their q's may even be harder than the DAT...but it is off target for the main type of material that is on the DAT. Most people need to use other sources to earn 20+.
Btw, OP, you did a great job on the DAT. Those scores are worthy of interviews. No one is trying to bring you down, they just love hatin' on Kaplan. (Kaplan kind of deserves it).

gahh just signed up for Kaplan .. now i regret it :/

Don worry...Hope u signed up for the DAT on demand though, the inclass sessions are pathetic, though the PAT session should be usefull

But on the plus side, if you decide on a retake like say next year, u can do the whole online thing with kaplan again so i guess thats a plus

Comeon.. anyone that has ever experienced Kaplan vs The Alternative know there is no comparison. Unfortunately, others have already said what I would have. It is true, kaplan did nothing for your RC score.

I don't think anyone is trying to be mean and if they are I apologize in advance for them.

I think the Kaplan written materials are a great introduction to the content, but I attribute my high scores to other resources as well (namely TopScore, Achiever, and my Bio textbook). I don't think that I would have been able to pull off a 23 TS, 22 AA, and 22 PAT by *just* using Kaplan.

I second this. Kaplan was a good intro but definitely nowhere near enough to get you a solid 20+ AA.

For those of you bashing on LetsGo2DSchool...lighten up, humor's a good thing, being overly sensitive isn't. :p

I took one of the tests Kaplan supplies with their online material... and my AA was 18, TS was 17 and I feel really bummed about this. It seems that most people say you usually get a point lower or two on the DAT than compared with Kaplans... and mine is early next week! :eek: I'm wondering if (no offense at all I'm just trying to look at stats) yours was a random burst of luck or if Kaplan DAT exams are off?

If anyone else has a comment on this, I'd love to hear your input. Thanks!

I took one of the tests Kaplan supplies with their online material... and my AA was 18, TS was 17 and I feel really bummed about this. It seems that most people say you usually get a point lower or two on the DAT than compared with Kaplans... and mine is early next week! :eek: I'm wondering if (no offense at all I'm just trying to look at stats) yours was a random burst of luck or if Kaplan DAT exams are off?

imo, kaplan's GC/Orgo were spot on, bio/math/PAT (goodness, especially the PAT) was way easy with regards to keyholes, TFE, and angles, reading was slightly easier than the real thing. If you have time, I would do math destroyer and/or CDP depending on which section needs more work. Can't say much about bio, the real thing is basically really easy questions or questions that are just...yeah, I don't even know how to describe how random they were. :p

Bottom line everyone, do the best you can on the Kaplan practice tests/workshops/quizzes, along with others if you want, and go in there CONFIDENT.

My advice, go in there confident and you'll do great. As long as you maintain your calm during the real thing, you'll do very well. I don't think mine was a random burst of luck...I think the Chem's on the real thing were easier than Kaplan's exams. I was consistently scoring 16OC and 17GC, and got 18OC and 20GC. The Bio was pretty similar though. Reading I thought was a lot easier, and QR wasn't harder, but by the time I got to it, I was going cross-eyed from looking at the screen too long..lol And CDP was the best for preparation for the PAT section, IMO.

My advice, go in there confident and you'll do great. As long as you maintain your calm during the real thing, you'll do very well. I don't think mine was a random burst of luck...I think the Chem's on the real thing were easier than Kaplan's exams. I was consistently scoring 16OC and 17GC, and got 18OC and 20GC. The Bio was pretty similar though. Reading I thought was a lot easier, and QR wasn't harder, but by the time I got to it, I was going cross-eyed from looking at the screen too long..lol And CDP was the best for preparation for the PAT section, IMO.

Thank you. Please don't feel like I was trying to dumb down your score or make it seem like you didn't work hard for your score, that wasn't my intent at all. I think what you said is 1/2 the battle... remaining calm during the test. From everything I'm hearing it's absolutely necessary to keep a cool, level head (well duh, but it's sorta hard with this exam's importance). In the end, I hope things work out for me as well as they have for you! Thanks for your input :)