DAT done 7/7/11...maybe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KiD CuDi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
BIO 16 (41.0%) :oops: (FML x 6.022x10^23)
GC 22 (95.2)
OC 23 (97.1)
PAT 19 (69.4) :mad:
RC 19 (67.6)
QR 20 (95.1)
TS 19 (82.8)
AA 20 (93.4)

I'm pretty sad about my bio score especially because I was a human bio major. I knew I was in for a world of hurt when I marked the first 3 questions. Everything you read on SDN regarding how random it is is true.

I used CDP which but the TFE questions are nothing like the actual questions; I'm pretty sure that's what hurt my score the most (maybe one or two angle questions too :p). I was scoring ~24 on CDP.

QR was RUBBISH because the computer literally froze on me and the proctor who was too busy listening to her music on her iPhone didn't notice me raise my hand. I had to get up to get her to come in and restart my computer.

sGPA: 2.99
GPA: 3.169

So I need advice. 1. Should I retake in October? I know the poor (41 friggen percentile) bio score is going to hold me back and my GPA is awful. 2. Do I have a chance at all in getting interview if I retake/don't retake?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you should retake. Anything below a 17 is a definite red flag. With your science GPA, you had to kill the DAT to prove adcoms otherwise. It's a low possibility of getting an interview because of your GPA and DAT score. I'm afraid you have to retake.

My advice is look at other successful breakdowns (21+ AA thread is a good one to look at first) and readjust your study schedule. Take a week or two off and start hitting hard.

Best of luck!

I agree with Strag from I've been reading. It appears some schools have a cut-off of 17 for some or all of the sections. What did you use to prepare yourself for bio? Also, how was the rest of the PAT in comparison to CrackDat PAT?

GC 22 (95.2)
OC 23 (97.1)
RC 19 (67.6)
QR 20 (95.1)
TS 19 (82.8)
AA 20 (93.4)

I'm pretty sad about my bio score especially because I was a human bio major. I knew I was in for a world of hurt when I marked the first 3 questions. Everything you read on SDN regarding how random it is is true.

I used CDP which but the TFE questions are nothing like the actual questions; I'm pretty sure that's what hurt my score the most (maybe one or two angle questions too :p). I was scoring ~24 on CDP.

QR was RUBBISH because the computer literally froze on me and the proctor who was too busy listening to her music on her iPhone didn't notice me raise my hand. I had to get up to get her to come in and restart my computer.

So I need advice. 1. Should I retake in October? I know the poor (41 friggen percentile) bio score is going to hold me back and my GPA is awful. 2. Do I have a chance at all in getting interview if I retake/don't retake?

RETAKE, you must do great on the science sections, esp if you are a human bio major.

Members don't see this ad :)
GC 22 (95.2)
OC 23 (97.1)
RC 19 (67.6)
QR 20 (95.1)
TS 19 (82.8)
AA 20 (93.4)

aw geeze man that bio section is such an eye sore. :/ I'm sure you'll do better the second time around. Gonna look forward to your "I scored a 24AA, what are my chances" thread :D GL

The problem with sub 3.0 GPA applicants is that, even a strong DAT (20-22 range) usually doesn't offset poor undergrad performance especially when there is no upward trend behind it.

I am not gonna recommend a retake, because I think the deeper issue is upward trend, IMO, you'll need a good solid year of 4.0s (or as close as possible), only then, you should retake.

The problem with sub 3.0 GPA applicants is that, even a strong DAT (20-22 range) usually doesn't offset poor undergrad performance especially when there is no upward trend behind it.

I am not gonna recommend a retake, because I think the deeper issue is upward trend, IMO, you'll need a good solid year of 4.0s (or as close as possible), only then, you should retake.

I couldn't agree more with this.

I would add that a score in the 93rd percentile is a good score, and I'm sure most schools will look past a bad performance in one area.

What makes a good score nowadays? 97th percentile? I don't understand.

the problem with sub 3.0 gpa applicants is that, even a strong dat (20-22 range) usually doesn't offset poor undergrad performance especially when there is no upward trend behind it.

I am not gonna recommend a retake, because i think the deeper issue is upward trend, imo, you'll need a good solid year of 4.0s (or as close as possible), only then, you should retake.

+1

Are you a URM by any chance? Cause then you may still have a chance with current scores/GPA.

I've already graduated so I can't really do anything about the GPA. I did well 4th year but the end of my 3rd year was the worst GPA wise. Lots of things going on at home coupled with my severe ADD made it a disaster. Are you saying I should just apply with what I have or don't bother applying at all?

On paper my GPA makes it look like I slacked off or had too much fun but that's not the case at all. I have ADD but I never asked for special accommodations that my school offered and I refuse to take medication. I worked extremely hard my 3rd year and have nothing but poor grades to show for it which is unfortunate. I feel like my GC and OC scores show that I did in fact learn and didn't just do the bare minimum.

Are you a URM by any chance? Cause then you may still have a chance with current scores/GPA.

I'm not an URM.

I've already graduated so I can't really do anything about the GPA. I did well 4th year but the end of my 3rd year was the worst GPA wise. Lots of things going on at home coupled with my severe ADD made it a disaster. Are you saying I should just apply with what I have or don't bother applying at all?

On paper my GPA makes it look like I slacked off or had too much fun but that's not the case at all. I have ADD but I never asked for special accommodations that my school offered and I refuse to take medication. I worked extremely hard my 3rd year and have nothing but poor grades to show for it which is unfortunate. I feel like my GC and OC scores show that I did in fact learn and didn't just do the bare minimum.

I am sorry to tell you this, but the ADD/ADHD is no excuse.... There are alot of folks out there who have been diagnosed with the "lazy disorder" (myself included) who managed to do well in school (even without medication / special accommodations) because they put their mind and effort into it. Its not an excuse and I HIGHLY encourage you never bring this up in your application or interviews.

secondly, I wasn't implying you shouldn't bother to apply, you asked "2. Do I have a chance at all in getting interview if I retake/don't retake? " and I was trying to answer it to the best of my knowledge.

You can always go back to school and do post-bacc or masters. You said your a bio major right? So.... there is probably not enough upper level bio courses to take in post-bacc, and if thats really the case, masters is your only option.

First of all, you need to talk to schools about your situation and viability as a candidate. But also be suspicious about them giving you the lip service so they can collect your application fee.

Here's an idea and maybe you can bounce it off the schools. Even though you graduated, what about taking upper level science classes during the next year? And then follow it up with a retake of the DAT. Thus, if you can demonstrate an upward trend during this year and improvement in the DAT, then you're a much better candidate for the next cycle.