Dat done 7/7/11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesBourne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got back from the testing center and wanted to share my 2nd DAT experience with you guys, although its been said million times in other breakdowns, truly appreciate all of your tips and helpful comments.

1st score vs 2nd score
BS 17 18
GC 23 22
OC 21 25
PA 19 20
RC 18 21
QR 25 20
TS 20 20
AA 21 (93.2%) 21 (97.2%)

GPA:3.58 sGPA:3.55 Biology B.S.

The reason I took it again was because of 17 bio score + was aiming for some scholarships because I may not qualify for the federal loans or any other loans due to personal circumstance.

4% AA difference yet the same score....maybe I had a harder version this time around. I will be posting a breakdown if anyone is interested.
A few suggestions for people preparing for DATs:
1. CDP alone will be not enough if you are aiming for 20+
I have gotten 24 avg. on 10 CDP tests and found the actual PAT to be much harder especially keyhold and TFE.
2. QR section was insanely difficult this time, as you can see above, I had 25 on the first exam, and also have gotten perfect scores on SAT I and II, but QR section from today was one of the most difficult math tests I have taken...if you think you are good at math because you did well in SATs or other entrance exams, I advise you not to neglect this section because it may hurt your AA dramatically.
3. For reading, I found CDR to be the most representative resource.

Best luck for everyone who will be taking DAT soon and I think I will be taking a nice break for now

Members don't see this ad.

Just got back from the testing center and wanted to share my 2nd DAT experience with you guys, although its been said million times in other breakdowns, truly appreciate all of your tips and helpful comments.

1st score vs 2nd score
BS 17 18
GC 23 22
OC 21 25
PA 19 20
RC 18 21
QR 25 20
TS 20 20
AA 21 (93.2%) 21 (97.2%)

=

OC 25! damn~
Nice Job! Honestly! I want that OC score!
with your GPA, you are solid!

1st score vs 2nd score
BS 17 18
GC 23 22
OC 21 25
PA 19 20
RC 18 21
QR 25 20
TS 20 20
AA 21 (93.2%) 21 (97.2%)

The reason I took it again was because of 17 bio score + was aiming for some scholarships because I may not qualify for the federal loans or any other loans due to personal circumstance.

4% AA difference yet the same score....maybe I had a harder version this time around. I will be posting a breakdown if anyone is interested.
I have gotten 24 avg. on 10 CDP tests and found the actual PAT to be much harder especially keyhold and TFE.
2. QR section was insanely difficult this time, as you can see above, I had 25 on the first exam, and also have gotten perfect scores on SAT I and II, but QR section from today was one of the most difficult math tests I have taken...if you think you are good at math because you did well in SATs or other entrance exams, I advise you not to neglect this section because it may hurt your AA dramatically.

Best luck for everyone who will be taking DAT soon and I think I will be taking a nice break for now

congrats too bad schools wont see the difference between the AA %, they will only see a 21 and 21, but you're right that they will see the nice improvement in Reading and Bio, plus no one cares about QR so I think you'll be good to go for whatever you want man!

Any hints for Bio that you found useful ?

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats too bad schools wont see the difference between the AA %, they will only see a 21 and 21, but you're right that they will see the nice improvement in Reading and Bio, plus no one cares about QR so I think you'll be good to go for whatever you want man!

Any hints for Bio that you found useful ?

Only new materials that I added from the first exam were DATQvault and Barron's AP BIO, both resources were decent, but I would have scored even lower if I had not taken Ecology and Genetics courses this spring. I had 6~7 on those topics, and takin those coureses were crucial in dealing with those questions. I would seriously recommend going thru your lecture notes and exams from college if you have them because those will be the best sources to solidfy your knowledge

so about the QR...

i was actually planning on leaving that for the week before my exam..but, OP do you think that math destroyer would be sufficient? also, what made the qr so difficult? a good amount of pre calc?

:scared::scared::scared:

I freaking hate math! I just started math destroyer and I'm freaking out!!!

Congrats on the score though... Just that part about math being harder just scared the s**t out of me

1st score vs 2nd score
BS 17 18
GC 23 22
OC 21 25
PA 19 20
RC 18 21
QR 25 20
TS 20 20
AA 21 (93.2%) 21 (97.2%)

Yes...but you went from an 18RC to a 21RC, and from a 17BIO to a 18BIO ( BIO and RC are the most significant sections on the DAT, so its a great improvement).. You also went down in the least significant section..QR. I would say many things went right for you on your retake. Congratulations.

so about the QR...

i was actually planning on leaving that for the week before my exam..but, OP do you think that math destroyer would be sufficient? also, what made the qr so difficult? a good amount of pre calc?

I prepared using the math destroyer and I have averaged around 36/40 on all tests except the last one. The last one was ridiculous in terms of difficulty comparing to others, but the real DAT seemed to be closer to the last test in math destroyer. Hopefully it was just that test version I had today. I would strongly recommend going over the math destroyer a few times (slowly without timing yourself to get the concepts down) and know a good amount details from your stat class. I had a statistical problem that I saw from my biostat class last year. Not just standard deviation and mean and what not but also significane, p-value etc.

You seem to have a pretty solid PAT score!
Did you only prepare using CDP, is that why you're saying that?? Or is there some other reasoning to that staement..

Great scores though overall! :thumbup:

Well, I have done topscore exams and never went down below 24 on those and like I said avged around 24 on CDP as well, but ended up with 20. If you can, try and solidify your skills and 3D visions using CDP and Topscore, then practice with achiever to get prepared for harder keyhole and TFE problems. I heard achiever has more difficult problems in those. Rest sections were on par with CDP, so if you can get those down in CDP, no worries.

:scared::scared::scared:

I freaking hate math! I just started math destroyer and I'm freaking out!!!

Congrats on the score though... Just that part about math being harder just scared the s**t out of me

:( didn't mean to scare you there lol, stick with math destroyer and you wil get better!! Remember to memorize your conversions, it will save you big chunk of time

Yes...but you went from an 18RC to a 21RC, and from a 17BIO to a 18BIO ( BIO and RC are the most significant sections on the DAT, so its a great improvement).. You also went down in the least significant section..QR. I would say many things went right for you on your retake. Congratulations.

Thank you buddy, I really appreciate your comment, I needed that to actually feel I am finally done with this beast.