DAT done and my head's gonna burst!

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by niptooth, Jun 2, 2008.

1. niptooth

Pre-Dental
    First off, I'd like to say that SDN is one of thee greatest resources of all time. I've learned so much in the past couple months, and hopefully I'll be able to give back as well.
    I just took my DAT and I'd just like to hear anyone's two cents on where I stand along with my GPA of 3.355 overall, 3.30ish science.

PAT:22
    QR: 18
    RC: 23
    BIO: 20
    GC: 19
    OC: 20
    TS: 20
    AA: 20

What schools what I be in range for, how many should I ideally apply for, and I know my GPA isn't the greatest, but does the upward trend count for anything if I started out with a 2.25 freshman year?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doc3232

Dental Student
    RC and PAT are two of the most important sections. PAT is a bit controversial but some schools way it heavily. good job, by the way.
    Find the schools that do care for the PAT and you will have an advantage there.
    GOOD LUCK

4. allstardentist

allstardentist All-Star

Dental Student
    NYU, BU, ASDOH (if u got good EC), etc

5. OMFS08

OMFS08 Tooth Extractornator

Resident [Any Field]
    Great scores man, You will be fine. What score were you aiming for by the way?

6. PSU SHC 414

Resident [Any Field]

What schools do you know of that weight PAT heavily?

7. niptooth

Pre-Dental
    Hopefully, I'll be ok. I was aiming for about a 22 AA and a 25ish PAT. I thought I was gonna destroy the PAT section, since I was getting 21-22 on the Achiever PAT, and I heard that Achiever was ridiculously hard. Guess I underestimated it...

By the way, I was wondering if it would be worth it to go ahead and apply now ,but re-take the DAT. I felt like I could've done better, but want to get your opinions first off. Thanks in advance!

8. userah

Dental Student
    damn you want to reapply with those scores? lol you make my scores look like poop =/ with a decent gpa i think you have a good shot of getting in just about anywhere. if you really think you can do better, I say why not but otherwise I wouldn't take the risk. Worst thing is for you to do worse than before. I don't think that looks very good when applying. 18 and 23 on math and RC? damn very impressive. I totally BS'd my way through math haha. anyways good luck with applications man. I think you should just apply. You will definitely get acceptance letters with those scores. =)

9. jigabodo

Dentist

Dentist
    That's a very consistent score. Good job! :)

10. niptooth

Pre-Dental
    Thanks for the responses guys! Yeah, I doubt that I will retake it, especially since I started working for an Orthodontic office full time, so I won't have time for much else. Time to work on the personal statement! How many schools do you guys think I should apply to? 15-20?

11. Hybridtavo

Hybridtavo Dr Ortegon

Dentist
    I would say 15 sounds good. IMO
    Also if u could share some of ur insight on each section would be great. I heard that Gchem is a lot of conceptual stuff (Inorganic is mostly formulas so can someone give me a heads up there, Im not a fan of inorganic chem).
    Solid scores :thumbup:

12. waitingame

Pre-Dental
    NICE!!!! what wsa your strategy for reading comprehension ??

13. DanNuch

Pre-Dental
    like everyone else is saying, those are some great scores... especially the RC, i cant decide to do the mapping method or just search for answers, what did you think worked best?

14. niptooth

Pre-Dental
    Ummmm...G-chem did have quite a bit of conceptual stuff (along with some mathematical problems), so make sure you understand concepts.
    As for RC, I'm not really familiar with the lingo (i.e. mapping method), but I basically read the passage, then jumped to the questions, and answered them (if I needed to refer back the passage, I did). It's basically a big time constraint, so try to manage your time well with the passages. Hope that helps you guys, and good luck with the DAT!

Oh, and a quick question. Is math, psychology, or anthropology (I also took a biological anthro, so I'm asking about that too) considered other-science or non-science on AADSAS? I know my school put math under physical sciences, and the other two under social sciences, but I just wanted to get your input.
    Thanks!

15. OMFS08

OMFS08 Tooth Extractornator

Resident [Any Field]
    Go ahead and apply! I am certian you will get some acceptances but retake if you still wish to however, I would not retake. :thumbup: