DAT done! My overall impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rowdizzle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I finished my DAT a few days ago and wanted to share my experience. First I'll start off by posting my scores:

PA 18 (61.1)
QR 16 (53.2) :mad:
RC 21 (84.5)
Bio 19 (77.1)
Chem 20 (81.3)
O-chem 23 (94.3) :)
TS 20 (86.2)
AA 20 (87.1)

GPA: 3.5 Science GPA: 3.2 plus lots of shadowing and volunteering

Overall I was pretty happy with my scores but wished I would have done a little better on the QR section but it seems like this is the least important section on the test. I have heard that schools are much more interested in the TS, AA, and PA section. Still do you think it will affect my chances considering I did fairly well with the others?

One thing I would first start off saying is that I should have used more PAT study material in addition to the Cliffs DAT study book at the Kaplan book. The real PAT was much more difficult, especially angle rankings which I never missed in these study books. I would highly recommend buying crack dat pat to help with this section. Also, perhaps if I would have bought crack dat math the QR section would have turned out a bit differently as well.

For the science sections, I felt that my Kaplan and Cliffs book prepared me well. I also used Orgoman DAT Destroyer but found the science questions to be much more difficult than on the actual test. At least it shows you what areas you need to go over and re-study. I felt like the o chem section was especially hard compared to the relatively easy o chem section on the DAT.

For RC it is kind of hard to study for this section and none of the study books really give you any strategies, just read fast! I skimmed the sections really fast and went back into the passage pretty much after each question to double check and find the answer and still had plenty of time left at the end using this strategy.

This is my first time taking the DAT and was pretty happy with my scores. I studied a few hours a day for about 3 and a half weeks and really didn't feel like months of studying are needed to do well on this thing (of course depending on when the last time you took the various science courses more time might be required). I was a bit nervous going into it but it wasn't as bad as I thought so go in with confidence and I believe you all will do great.

Now I just hope I can get some interviews this fall!

Members don't see this ad.