DAT Done - need advice if I should retake!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelLob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I haven't posted here before but I'm kind of in need of some good advice. From what I've seen on this forum, so many of the scores that people post here are very high so I hope I don't look silly for posting my lower-than-average-SDN-scores, but I'm in a tight spot and just need someone else's thoughts.

Before I throw my scores out there, I want to provide some background. I'm an old lady :) - been out of college for 5 years now so it's been a while. I went to West Point, so therefore served (still serving) in the Army and have been in Germany the past 3 years in the Medical Service Corps. Since then I've gotten married, deployed to Iraq for a year, had a child (one on the way), and have been working really hard to study for my DAT and take some additional courses to set me up for dental school while working very full days. I only share this with you because it has been a significant challenge for me being overseas and finding the resources (and time) to pull it all together, and I want to know if you all think it's worth me retaking the DAT in mid-October, or if that will be too late anyways for this cycle so if it would just be better to let things as they are and retake next spring if need be.

So, my recent test scores from last week are:
AA: 19
PA: 19
RC: 22
QR: 19
Bio: 17
Chem: 17
OChem: 19
I had a 3.59 undergrad GPA and 3.63 science.

Not happy at all with Bio and Chem...but, the rest is OK with me and I just want your honest feedback if I need to retake to higher those two scores.

Obviously these scores aren't stellar, and I'm more than willing to restudy and retake it when I'm eligible again in October, but it's just a tough decision for me b/c of the logistical challenge of flying all the way across the atlantic with a newborn. Some people have said that my military experience and geographic location would help to balance my academic stuff, but given that i've been out of school for so long, I thought schools would want to see prospective candidates just blow the DAT through the roof. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you submitted an app already? Depending on what schools you apply to you may have a decent chance. I don't want to mislead you, but if they were MY scores I would submit my application ASAP if you haven't already. It really depends on where you are applying and their averages. Your GPA is good, the DAT scores are a bit above average, and it certainly doesn't hurt that you have served our country :). They worst thing they can say is no, but if you get in it will be worth it. Keep in mind, this is what I would do if it were me and applying to the schools I have chosen.

You are really on the bubble here, I would ultimately re-take but depending on the school you want to apply to, you may have a chance getting in with those scores, obviously your best shot is an in-state school typically because when you apply to private out of state schools, you are going against some stellar applicants. My friend got in with a 17 bio section but it was a state school and he only had one 17. Two 17 science sections may really hurt you but it depends on the schools you're applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your quick responses! I really do appreciate it.

Right now I'm looking at a bunch of different schools all spread out...some of them are obvious reach schools and others maybe doable...Louisville, Wash, MD, UNLV, and several others.

I'm submitting my app this week and I guess since I can't re-register for the DAT anyways until the end of the month I will sit and think some more about it.

Thanks again!

First, I want to thank you for your service. Your scores and GPA are average but you have an extraordinary story that should come out in your personal statement and interviews. It's always easy to recommend that you retake in hopes of a better score, but your time constraints are unique. If a retake is a possiblity in our mind, I would suggest you at least keep up on all that you have learned up til now. You don't run a 6 minute mile without getting and then keeping yourself in shape. Don't let yourself fall out of shape and drop to a 7 minute mile, then decide later that you still want another crack at a 5:30 mile. Stay in 6 minute mile shape as best you can until then. Best of luck and thanks again.

id have to agree with the above posters, u are definitely on the bubble: the good thing is that u have some solid scores especially in pat, math and reading where a lot of applicants have trouble BUT u have lacking scores in bio and g chem where many others excel (IMHO GC is forgiveable since it is probably least important of the sciences)

id advise u to go ahead and apply but your best shot is at your state school and just see what happens. you have a lot of things going for u, especially from your service to our country so be confident but do prepare for the worst. i have applied twice (waitlisted both times at state schools) and i am also an "older" person...lol, im only 28 but being surrounded by 22 year olds makes me feel like im 40.

Hi everyone. I haven't posted here before but I'm kind of in need of some good advice. From what I've seen on this forum, so many of the scores that people post here are very high so I hope I don't look silly for posting my lower-than-average-SDN-scores, but I'm in a tight spot and just need someone else's thoughts.

Before I throw my scores out there, I want to provide some background. I'm an old lady :) - been out of college for 5 years now so it's been a while. I went to West Point, so therefore served (still serving) in the Army and have been in Germany the past 3 years in the Medical Service Corps. Since then I've gotten married, deployed to Iraq for a year, had a child (one on the way), and have been working really hard to study for my DAT and take some additional courses to set me up for dental school while working very full days. I only share this with you because it has been a significant challenge for me being overseas and finding the resources (and time) to pull it all together, and I want to know if you all think it's worth me retaking the DAT in mid-October, or if that will be too late anyways for this cycle so if it would just be better to let things as they are and retake next spring if need be.

Not happy at all with Bio and Chem...but, the rest is OK with me and I just want your honest feedback if I need to retake to higher those two scores.

Obviously these scores aren't stellar, and I'm more than willing to restudy and retake it when I'm eligible again in October, but it's just a tough decision for me b/c of the logistical challenge of flying all the way across the atlantic with a newborn. Some people have said that my military experience and geographic location would help to balance my academic stuff, but given that i've been out of school for so long, I thought schools would want to see prospective candidates just blow the DAT through the roof. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

First of all, don't compare your scores with the numbers you see on SDN. I think your scores are good. Assuming you have chosen your schools wisely and you have an early application, I think you have a decent chance of getting interviews. True! The Bio and Chem scores are somewhat low, but retaking in Oct will send you back to the end of the line. So, I wouldn't suggest a retake at this point. Just apply and see what happens.
About your story, there's an upside and a downside to mentioning that story in your personal statement.
The fact that you have had such a diverse set experiences definitely makes you a well-rounded individual, and many schools like to see applicants with this feature. However, if you emphasize too much on your busy schedule and the load of responsibilities on your shoulders (specially mentioning that you have a baby on the way) will raise the following question:
Would you have any time left to invest in dental school?
I can assure you that if you focus too much on your busy lifestyle, it will come back and haunt you during your interviews, where they will be asking you how on earth would you manage your time, if you get accepted?
Best of luck to you during the 2010 cycle. :thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you all for your great advice. Yes, I think I will just apply and see what happens, and worst case, hey, just retake it right?

I will definitely not talk about my crazy life and that is some excellent advice about not bringing any added attention to myself in that aspect!

I really appreciate the feedback and thanks to all who have responded. I really wasn't sure what to do but definitely feel better about it all.

and presjc2, I feel ya' on the age thing!! I got one year on you though - :)

If you are a minority, I would say you are good to go. If not, I would consider retaking if you don't get many interviews, as your scores are on the bubble. If you apply across the board with your present scores I would give you a 55% chance of getting in.
Thank you for your service, God bless you!

Thanks in advance.

I think your GPAs are solid. I think all sections are good except bio and gchem. I think those tow 17s can hurt you, but you have A(s) from those classes(you may compensate your weakness). As far application goes, DAT is not the only material to evalution. Maybe your experiences put you ahead in this cyce. I agree with SDNers. Wait and see for this cycle. If you cannot get into this cycle, you may retake DAT (focusing science sections). I saw this year so many people are doing insanely great in gchem and ochem sections. Hopefully you will get into this cycle!