1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

DAT end of sophomore year?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by DKBuono, May 8, 2008.

1. DKBuono

2+ Year Member

#1 DKBuono, May 8, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. TheWiredNerv

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Not a bad idea. I'd suggest doing so. DAT score lasts up to 5 years I believe.

3. wigglytooth

wigglytooth Assistant Wiggle-ator
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took the DAT the summer after my sophomore year, and it was one of the best decisions I made in the whole process. I had credit from AP bio my senior year + intro bio II, cell bio, gen and organic chem done by that point. I focused on studying all summer, with some shadowing, and got it done in mid-August. Scores are good for 2-3 years, depending on the school. So if you plan to apply right after school, your scores are definitely fresh. If you don't like your scores, you could always study next summer as well. But definitely don't plan on retaking them. Study hard the first time and get it done! After getting it done, I was basically free to focus on my application and all of that good stuff the next summer.

4. DKBuono

2+ Year Member

#4 DKBuono, May 8, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  5. topdent1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I took the dat the end of my sophomore year and got 18/19/16. My biggest problem was that i was lacking mental toughness. During your junior year you end up taking bigger tests and your brain develops maturity. However, if you feel mentally strong go right ahead.

6. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Ya, I completely agree about that. We get much smarter in1 year, and if we take the DAT end of soph year we suffer due to that, however, I still personally think I wouldn't be as prepared if I didn't take it after soph summ year.