DAT Gen Chem Questions! PLUS some advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.CinnamonRoll

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, I had a few questions that are from datQvault's practice tests.
upload_2017-8-10_14-49-55.png

The explanation is that Mo has 6 unpaired electrons... What?? I understand that it might have 5, because it could take one from the S orbital, but where did the sixth one come from?

Also, could anyone offer advice on how to improve fastest in Gchem and Orgo? I have my exam on the 28th, and my scores are in a plateau at 18-20... and the questions I get wrong are mistakes i could/should have avoided, like balancing the equation, or stupid things like me second guessing myself, stuff i feel I shouldn't have gotten wrong that just consistently repeat itself, and it's so frustrating to feel like you knew all the answers to the exam but you were barely the 50th percentile with a score of 18.... How do I stop it???

Yes, I am freaking out a little. My bootcamp scores are also the same (18-20), with math at 16. I haven't even started reading yet. HELP.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-10_15-9-41.png
    upload_2017-8-10_15-9-41.png
    189.5 KB · Views: 42
But see, if it takes one out of the s-orbital to have 5 in the d-orbital, then s-orbital will have an unpaired electron now. 1 (s-orbital) + 5 (d-orbital) = 6 unpaired.
GC/OC: just practice practice practice. Do as many of the BC tests as you can. Watch Mike's videos for the ones you don't understand.
Math, work on Math Destroyer, you have 18 days, do 1 a day or 2 (this is what I did). RC I have no advice I only took 1RC test...if you want more on how I studied you can read my breakdown- I tried to make it as detailed as I could! Hope this helps.

wait.... wow, you're right. thanks
and uhh, I already read your breakdown HAHA. iirc tho, your practice tests scores were alot higher and closer to your real scores right?

I take my exam on the 28th too! Math Destroyer has helped my QR score. I am still only scoring 17s on QR but I can see improvements. I would suggest it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I only took 4 QR BC tests, and of them, I only took two seriously. On one I got 24, the other 30. The other two, I was so tired (it was like 2am) so I scored like 20 and 19 lol. Before BC, I did Math Destroyer, 17 of the 18 tests, and I averaged ~35-36.
Awesome scores, but how did you study for math before destroyer?
Did you watch chad or Sal?

Awesome scores, but how did you study for math before destroyer?
Did you watch chad or Sal?
I did not study for math. I love math, took Calc I & II as a sophomore and junior, and then IB HL Math senior year, so my math foundation was pretty solid, so I just jumped into Math Destroyer right away.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I have another question!
upload_2017-8-12_21-48-55.png

I thought I balanced the equation correctly :(. Why did the solutions multiply the whole equations' coefficients by two? (or why didn't they divide it down?)

If you balance the equation, you get:
C6H12O6 + 6O2 ---> 6CO2 + 6H2O right?
But, you're given 2 moles of glucose, so the new equation is:
2C6H12O6 + (6x2)O2 ---> (6x2)CO2 + (6x2)H2O ------------> 2C6H12O6 + 12O2 ---> 12CO2 + 12H2O
Add em up! 12 + 12 = 24 for the products side
Hope it helps! :)

I....I... I didn't see the 2 moles part.... jeez now im embarrassed
haha thanks