DAT General Chemistry and surprises on the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent-2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I am studying for the DAT and I'm trying to work the Nernst Equation, use the DeBroglie Equation, and complicated stuff from mass defect/ nuclear energy and Kp=Kc(RT) *moles, etc.

However, when I look at practice exams, the level of depth in the questions seems to be the lowest of all three sections.

I am comparing even to a high school AP Chemistry which seem to cover the above topics but I haven't seen much of this stuff except Ksp solubility stuff.

Gen Chem at my university, esp Acid/Bases/Buffers, Rate Law/ Equilibrium, Electrochemistry and Thermodynamics was practically harder than O-chem.

My questions are:

1) How hard or in depth is the Gen Chem Section?

2) On all three sections, which topics were you surprised to see?

How much evolution, ecology, classification, DNA technology is on the biology?

How much detail to amine, phenol, amino acid, carbohydrate/lipid stuff is there?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by dent-2002

My questions are:

1) How hard or in depth is the Gen Chem Section?

2) On all three sections, which topics were you surprised to see?

How much evolution, ecology, classification, DNA technology is on the biology?

How much detail to amine, phenol, amino acid, carbohydrate/lipid stuff is there?

Thanks!

The G-chem section is VERY predictable. It is as in-depth as any of the practice tests you may have access too (Topscore, Kaplan). If you know all those equations, and how to solve for different variables, nothing on the test should suprise you. The only things that might throw your off a bit are the G-chem questions that do not requre calculations. Make sure you know what all the n, l, and ml designations represent, and all of the properties of different groups of elements.

There will almost always be something on the bio section that may suprise you. Evolution and ecology, and classification, know general stuff. Know general characteristics of major classes. DNA technology--I didn't see any questions about PCR or micro-arrays or ANYTHING like that, so don't worry. If you are up to speed on current molecular genetics, any DNA stuff they throw at you, it should be a cake-walk.

As far as the orgo stuff, make sure you know the properties of each thing listed. You may need to know what a "reducing sugar" is, or what constitutes a phospholipid. Just basic stuff.

I hope that helps.