DAT how to get faster at PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azk1995

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so ive been consistently scoring 19's on my PAT BC exams simply because i keep running out of time. Any tips on which order i should do the questions? Usually i skip straight to angle ranking, then hole punch, cube counting, pattern, keyhole, TFE. If you guys have any tips id greatly appreciate it. It gets tough by the time i reach keyhole and TFE because thats when the time really starts to get me to panic.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys so ive been consistently scoring 19's on my PAT BC exams simply because i keep running out of time. Any tips on which order i should do the questions? Usually i skip straight to angle ranking, then hole punch, cube counting, pattern, keyhole, TFE. If you guys have any tips id greatly appreciate it. It gets tough by the time i reach keyhole and TFE because thats when the time really starts to get me to panic.
Thank goodness high PAT scores are not required for most schools. You are definitely doing everything right, just keep practicing. Some of my classroom students are great in PAT naturally, while others struggle. All you can really do is practice and hope for the best.

Good luck on your DAT

Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
I was also in the 18-19 range on BC by the time I took the DAT. My strategy was to find the easy keyholes, skip the ones that were really blocky/difficult. Same thing for TFE... if I could easily visualize it, answer. If not, skip right away. I probably skipped about 10 questions total from the Keyhole/TFE. Angle ranking, hole punch, cube counting is where I excelled. Pattern folding was next, and I found it easier than BC.

I had ~6 minutes for those remaining questions. I eliminated wrong choices, which was easier on TFE because there's only 4 answer choices with one obviously wrong. Ended up with a 22 PAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Practice, practice, and more practice! When I started Bootcamp, I was scoring 18 and 19s. Now, towards the end of my prep, I am consistently scoring 21-22.

Reactions: 1 users
Practice is really your best friend in PAT. My strategy is to just start with keyhole and go in order. But do what is best for you. I have scored consistent 20s with about 1-2 mins left to look over marked questions. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user