DAT in 4 days...SUPER nervous!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentGirl23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay so Monday is when I'm going to be taking my DAT for the first time...all i need to get on it is an 18...is this manageble? i really dont want to have to take it again...:(
for those who have taken it, feedback would be amazing!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have done ur destroyer and CDP, a 18 DAT is very doable. The real DAT is easier than those 2 materials esp Genchem and Orgo.

Study hard and it will be over in 4 days.

I just can't wait till i get it over with! Yeah I finished my destroyer, all of KBB, have taken 2 topscore tests, and 10 datQvault bio tests..how would you compare topscore to the real thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in an early acceptance program, I've already had my interview and have my spot saved at the dental school i want to go to, but a part of the agreement is to make an 18 on the DAT and finish my undergrad in 3 years instead of 4..

the font is so big and so girly lol...
but yes, it looks like you prepared well enough, I wouldn't be surprised if you came back with a 20+

what do you think closely resembles the real DAT, topscore maybe? i had a friend tell me that the gen chem and ochem parts of topscore are harder than the real test, QR PAT and RC are about the same, and bio is fairly the same..do y'all agree?..I just want an 18 :/ I can get that right?

Last edited:
Quit it y'all, I'm only 19..:(
what do you think closely resembles the real DAT, topscore maybe? i had a friend tell me that the gen chem and ochem parts of topscore are harder than the real test, QR PAT and RC are about the same, and bio is fairly the same..do y'all agree?..I just want an 18 :/ I can get that right?
Here is how I found topscore to relate to the actual test.

Bio: I thought the real thing was a bit more random (as everyone attests to). There was a little less emphasized on taxonomy and less on cell resp and photosynthesis for my test version. Overall it was good practice for bio, had some similar questions

Gchem: topscore was waaayyy harder than my test. I honestly got 16s on both of my tests and got a 21 on the real thing. Take that for what it's worth but topscore was waayy too calculation heavy.

Ochem: I thought this section was the closest representative of the actual test. I was scoring 19-20 on topscore and got a 23 on the real thing.
RC: not representative at all. I was scoring 20 average on topscore and didn't do as well on the real thing.

PAT: hard to say..bc topscore had poor quality and made it difficult for me. Just use CDP here and kind of ignore what you get on topscore PAT bc i don't think they are too similar.

QR: topscore is a little easier than the real thing. I suck at math so maybe i'm not qualified to compare, but math destroyer was the closest representative I found to the actual DAT

As far as getting an 18..I don't know how you have been scoring on topscore..but that score is definitely manageable judging by what you've gone through thus far. Best of luck and try to stay relaxed the next few days.

Let me guess...UOP?

An 18 is manageable if you did CDP and destroyer. Take some topscore tests just to get the feel of the timing but being nervous is a good thing.

I was hoping the QR would be the pretty much the same since I'm getting 19/20s on the topscore :/..but honestly, the only section I'm worried about is the RC..how did you go about solving this section? because I usually read the first 5 questions of each passage then seach and destroy..

Let me guess...UOP?

An 18 is manageable if you did CDP and destroyer. Take some topscore tests just to get the feel of the timing but being nervous is a good thing.

What's UOP you're talking?
haha I really do hope that this anxiety I'm having is a good thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was hoping the QR would be the pretty much the same since I'm getting 19/20s on the topscore :/..but honestly, the only section I'm worried about is the RC..how did you go about solving this section? because I usually read the first 5 questions of each passage then seach and destroy..
My strategy was search and destroy, but this technique couldn't really be used for my version. I had about 60% search and destroy 40% tone types. If your a fast reader I might recommend just reading the passage to answer the tone Qs and search/destroy for the others.

Gchem: topscore was waaayyy harder than my test. I honestly got 16s on both of my tests and got a 21 on the real thing. Take that for what it's worth but topscore was waayy too calculation heavy.

I don't know man... I found my test to have been harder than topscore, at least for GC.

I don't know man... I found my test to have been harder than topscore, at least for GC.

While I didn't take Topscore myself it seems to me from the breakdowns I have seen that people score 1-2 points higher on the actual exam than on TopScore.

I really do hope that that will be the case on monday..because I'm scoring AA 19/20 on topscore and would love to get a 20 or higher on the real deal :)
for RC did you do the search and destroy method as well?

I really do hope that that will be the case on monday..because I'm scoring AA 19/20 on topscore and would love to get a 20 or higher on the real deal :)
for RC did you do the search and destroy method as well?

AA 19/20 on topscore should be good for a 19+ score.

Good Luck :thumbup:

Hey you go girl! G/L with the big day! Don't forget some extra pink expo markers for your notes!!

Seriously though good luck!

Wait hold up! Can someone shed some light on how you get a spot saved at dental school if you make 18 AA and finish undergrad in 3 years? What school does this?! I'm really confused, Ive never heard of this before. But anyway congrats OP, that's pretty sweet!

lol thanks, it's called the DEAP (Dental Early Acceptance Pragram), they have it it at selective universities but trust me it's not really a walk in the park...my schedule is always packed and taking classes over the summer is always a must! But I'm thankful and hopefully I'll kick butt Monday

lol thanks, it's called the DEAP (Dental Early Acceptance Pragram), they have it it at selective universities but trust me it's not really a walk in the park...my schedule is always packed and taking classes over the summer is always a must! But I'm thankful and hopefully I'll kick butt Monday

Well, keep up the good work for your dental program! Hopefully you will nail a 20+ :thumbup:

Thank you, have you taken it yourself, do you know any recommendations on RC? I'm mostly depending on the S&D method..

Wait hold up! Can someone shed some light on how you get a spot saved at dental school if you make 18 AA and finish undergrad in 3 years? What school does this?! I'm really confused, Ive never heard of this before. But anyway congrats OP, that's pretty sweet!

http://dental.pacific.edu/Academic_Programs/Doctor_of_Dental_Surgery/Advantage_Dental_Program_for_High_School_Students.html

I'm sure there are other programs like this one too, where you're guaranteed a seat in dental school if you have the required GPA and DAT. There was someone on SDN who had a seat saved for him at UMKC.

Yeah it's something like that, I have to have a certain oGPA and sGPA to stay the program if I fall below I won't be in, I had to apply for this program and submit my statement early and have my interview early (all during my freshman year of college), and wait a month to see if I got in or not and all that stuff..it's pretty stressful..but then again a guranteed spot is worth every effort.
I just want Monday to be over with!!

Yeah it's something like that, I have to have a certain oGPA and sGPA to stay the program if I fall below I won't be in, I had to apply for this program and submit my statement early and have my interview early (all during my freshman year of college), and wait a month to see if I got in or not and all that stuff..it's pretty stressful..but then again a guranteed spot is worth every effort.
That sounds awesome!! good luck with everything, I'm sure you'll do great.

Come back and tell us how it goes.

And why did you stop with your pretty colors!!

I will! i really hope i come back with good news...i want to enjoy the rest of my summer before school starts :(
haha the colored font was giving me a headache lol

DANGIT! I wish I would of known about this last year when I was a freshman >:O!!!!

But awesome!!!!!!! If you are smart enough to be maintaining that GPA, then I have no doubt you will pull off an 18! Now get off SDN and go study :p

lmao yes!
hahah all the added colors as you scrolled down the page reading comments...hillarious! =) hehe

but to the op: Goodluck! it sounds like you're more than prepped (if all you want/need is an 18!) :)
:- ]

lol

for RC search and destroy worked for me. AS for an 18 it's very doable just dont panic too much.
good luck and go kick ass

you should be fine Dentgirl ;) I'm assuming that the coursework that the early program assigns you should prepare you well for the DAT

Thanks guys :)
i really hope monday will be good news...the GC and Ochem parts on the real DAT are much easier than topscore right guys?
i plan on kicking butt in those two sections!

and yeah thanks newbee, I'm counting on Search and Destroy 100%!

i really hope monday will be good news...the GC and Ochem parts on the real DAT are much easier than topscore right guys?

Depends on the version you get.. I got 30 on both GC and Ochem on Topscore #3 but didn't get those scores on the real thing :laugh:

To reiterate, that is only partially true. As someone mentioned... and from most of the breakdowns that I've seen, it is usually easier but if you get unlucky it could be harder.

I've breezed through the sciences on all of my topscore tests but on my actual test I've had way more questions marked than I would've liked. After the natural sciences, I seriously thought that I was going to hit a 19 TS. I was expecting to blow the DAT out of the water because the day before when I took my last topscore, I had a 25/25/22 and I expected to score higher than that but I ended up scoring lower than that :(

To reiterate, that is only partially true. As someone mentioned... and from most of the breakdowns that I've seen, it is usually easier but if you get unlucky it could be harder.

I've breezed through the sciences on all of my topscore tests but on my actual test I've had way more questions marked than I would've liked. After the natural sciences, I seriously thought that I was going to hit a 19 TS. I was expecting to blow the DAT out of the water because the day before when I took my last topscore, I had a 25/25/22 and I expected to score higher than that but I ended up scoring lower than that :(

I'm telling you man, after 22 it's a lottery.

The difference between a 22 AA and a 27 AA is 2-3 questions per section.

It's not that bad :) I remember I was super nervous like you. But after taking it, I realize its not the end of the world. Well, you might study differently than I do, but I suggest you don't study the day of your test. I totally freaked out when I did that, and for about an hour or so before my test, I couldn't remember even the basics! :oops: Anyhow, if you actually put honest time and effort into studying each section, you have nothing to worry about. Trust me on this :) I used Chad's for both OC and GC and I scored relatively well in those sections. I didn't have time to study biology or QR, and I scored poorly on those.

And FYI, I scored a lot higher on the DAT than on Topscore exams, which I took within the week of my DAT ;) I usually scored 16-17 in OC Topscore, but received a 20 on the real thing. I usually scored 17-18 in GC Topscore, but scored a 21 on the real thing. Good luck!! :)

It's not that bad :) I remember I was super nervous like you. But after taking it, I realize its not the end of the world. Well, you might study differently than I do, but I suggest you don't study the day of your test. I totally freaked out when I did that, and for about an hour or so before my test, I couldn't remember even the basics! :oops: Anyhow, if you actually put honest time and effort into studying each section, you have nothing to worry about. Trust me on this :) I used Chad's for both OC and GC and I scored relatively well in those sections. I didn't have time to study biology or QR, and I scored poorly on those.

And FYI, I scored a lot higher on the DAT than on Topscore exams, which I took within the week of my DAT ;) I usually scored 16-17 in OC Topscore, but received a 20 on the real thing. I usually scored 17-18 in GC Topscore, but scored a 21 on the real thing. Good luck!! :)

Thanks Nguyen! this makes me feel ALOT better...It's been non-stop DAT for 2 months now...my brain is about to explode :(
I just NEEEED that AA of an 18 and I'll be set!!!

Wow you are lucky. I'm in the same program up and Buffalo SDM, and I needed a 20, be glad you only need an 18.