DAT in 5 Days! Tips on PAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The10thDentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have the DAT in 5 Days (11/19) and I haven't even started reviewing for PAT or Reading Comp. I'm pretty confident with my prep for the Sciences and QR though. I only had a month or so to study and I just finished those sections yesterday!

Any recommendations or shortcuts on tried and true ways to prep for PAT and RC prep in this short amount of time?

I just bought the Royal Flush Crack DAT PAT. And I have the Kaplan online course with all the materials that I literally haven't touched because they let me down first time I took the DAT, 2 years ago. It wasn't fee because I took the course more than a year ago, but they only charged $299, so I opted to buy just as insurance (in case I decided to use it). Kaplan just leaves out waaay too much, especially in Bio.

I have just used Chad's videos, Cliffs AP Bio and DAT Destroyer so far for QR, BIO, OC and GC.

My previous scores using only the Kaplan on-demand online course: AA-19; PAT-18; QR-22; RC-17; BIO-19; GC-21; OC-17; TS-19

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
PAT is just practice. Not really many tricks here, you just have to visualize the images. Use the tally method for cube counting and the lines of symmetry method for hole punching. Those are pretty much freebies if you get those down. Do your practice tests and hopefully it'll build up your confidence. Good luck on your test! I also had mine on 11/19 originally, but then decided to postpone a few weeks haha.

Crack DAT PAT will be perfect!!! I just studied and practiced Crack DAT PAT and scored a 24 PAT on my real DAT. The sections seemed very similar (except for cube counting....crack DAT PAT literally gives you like a million cubes to count and it takes forever....however its good practice for the real thing...I didn't have that many cubes to count on my real DAT).

PAT is just practice. Not really many tricks here, you just have to visualize the images. Use the tally method for cube counting and the lines of symmetry method for hole punching. Those are pretty much freebies if you get those down. Do your practice tests and hopefully it'll build up your confidence. Good luck on your test! I also had mine on 11/19 originally, but then decided to postpone a few weeks haha.

Where can i find the tally method for cube counting? Can you please guide, thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
The tally method is people make a chart of all the cubes then answer the questions. I've never felt it to be helpful.

So I have the DAT in 5 Days (11/19) and I haven't even started reviewing for PAT or Reading Comp. I'm pretty confident with my prep for the Sciences and QR though. I only had a month or so to study and I just finished those sections yesterday!

Any recommendations or shortcuts on tried and true ways to prep for PAT and RC prep in this short amount of time?

I just bought the Royal Flush Crack DAT PAT. And I have the Kaplan online course with all the materials that I literally haven't touched because they let me down first time I took the DAT, 2 years ago. It wasn't fee because I took the course more than a year ago, but they only charged $299, so I opted to buy just as insurance (in case I decided to use it). Kaplan just leaves out waaay too much, especially in Bio.

I have just used Chad's videos, Cliffs AP Bio and DAT Destroyer so far for QR, BIO, OC and GC.

My previous scores using only the Kaplan on-demand online course: AA-19; PAT-18; QR-22; RC-17; BIO-19; GC-21; OC-17; TS-19

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

my best advice is:

DO NOT GO INTO THE TEST FEELING NERVOUS. Seriously just pretend like this test is super easy. My nervousness got the best of me I got 19 AA when my topscore was a 21.

Also for PAT I used CDP and NEVER scored above an 18 and got an 18 on the real thing.

Where can i find the tally method for cube counting? Can you please guide, thanks
I'll try to explain it the best I can. You know how there is one picture that is either 3-5 questions asking about particular cube sides? Anyway, just make a vertical grid going 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Next, on the first question where you see a new formation, just go through one time and look at every cube. Make a tally mark next to the appropriate number for each cube. Once you count every cube in the picture, you'll have chart where you can easily answer each question until the next picture. This way is somewhat quicker doing it all at once, and it's a lot harder to count the same cube for more than one question.

Hope that helps, kind of hard to explain.

For hole punch, watch this video. I'd get 14 or 15 right every time after I figured this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ud0ZX0eEFA

I'll try to explain it the best I can. You know how there is one picture that is either 3-5 questions asking about particular cube sides? Anyway, just make a vertical grid going 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Next, on the first question where you see a new formation, just go through one time and look at every cube. Make a tally mark next to the appropriate number for each cube. Once you count every cube in the picture, you'll have chart where you can easily answer each question until the next picture. This way is somewhat quicker doing it all at once, and it's a lot harder to count the same cube for more than one question.

Hope that helps, kind of hard to explain.

For hole punch, watch this video. I'd get 14 or 15 right every time after I figured this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ud0ZX0eEFA

Thank you for explaining cube counting, I will definitely try that, any advice on angle ranking