DAT in 8 days.. please advise me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Golfah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of today, I have finished:
Kaplan Bio
Cliffnotes AP Bio
2 topscore exams (18s on TS sections, took them 2 weeks ago before all the memorizing just to get to know the test, I will take the last one 2 days before the DAT test)
Crack DAT PAT 6 exams (23-25s)
Crack DAT reading 5 exams (17-19s) I have always been weak in reading, but English is not my first language.
Crack DAT math 4 exams (18s on all)
I've changed my strategies so it should be a lot better for the next 5 exams.
DAT destroyer for orgo and gen chem.

What I have left:
100 questions DAT destroyer biology
DAT Math destroyer questions
Kaplan chem reading (useless??)
Kaplan orgo reading (useless??)

I haven't read the Kaplan orgo and chem, would they be worth it at this point? I really don't want to read either/don't think I have time. Would it be better to just go over destroyer and memorize all the rules and formulas? I understand pretty much all the concepts in DAT destroyer for chem and orgo.

I don't have access to the online Kaplan questions. I just got the book from someone. Didn't want to pay $1000...

ANY ADVICE AT THIS POINT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL. I'm freaking out. I've already submitted my application 1 month ago so there is no going back.

I've attached a schedule for this week...

Thanks,
-Golfah

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-08-12 14.02.34.png
    Screenshot 2015-08-12 14.02.34.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 90
Do math destroyer ASAP. Crack QR is slightly easier than actual.
Thank you, 510586.
If I do Math Destroyer (the one that's included with the other subjects, not the single verison) and the Crack QR. Will that be enough for the math portion?

Yea most say math destroyer is good enough alone. I find crack QR to be much easier (but feralis said the real is only a tiny bit harder)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea most say math destroyer is good enough alone. I find crack QR to be much easier (but feralis said the real is only a tiny bit harder)
Can I get by with the version that has only ~150 questions? It's too late to buy the one with like 12 tests...

Can I get by with the version that has only ~150 questions? It's too late to buy the one with like 12 tests...
If you have destroyer, it comes with the version with 150. MD is still better than the 150 one but if you don't have time then 150 is the best alternative

If you have destroyer, it comes with the version with 150. MD is still better than the 150 one but if you don't have time then 150 is the best alternative
Oh I see. Yes, that's what I meant.
Thanks!

As of today, I have finished:
Kaplan Bio
Cliffnotes AP Bio
2 topscore exams (18s on TS sections, took them 2 weeks ago before all the memorizing just to get to know the test, I will take the last one 2 days before the DAT test)
Crack DAT PAT 6 exams (23-25s)
Crack DAT reading 5 exams (17-19s) I have always been weak in reading, but English is not my first language.
Crack DAT math 4 exams (18s on all)
I've changed my strategies so it should be a lot better for the next 5 exams.
DAT destroyer for orgo and gen chem.

What I have left:
100 questions DAT destroyer biology
DAT Math destroyer questions
Kaplan chem reading (useless??)
Kaplan orgo reading (useless??)

I haven't read the Kaplan orgo and chem, would they be worth it at this point? I really don't want to read either/don't think I have time. Would it be better to just go over destroyer and memorize all the rules and formulas? I understand pretty much all the concepts in DAT destroyer for chem and orgo.

I don't have access to the online Kaplan questions. I just got the book from someone. Didn't want to pay $1000...

ANY ADVICE AT THIS POINT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL. I'm freaking out. I've already submitted my application 1 month ago so there is no going back.

I've attached a schedule for this week...

Thanks,
-Golfah

I wouldn't read the Kaplan notes at this point in your studying. I would focus more on doing questions, so the Destroyer ones and Math Destroyer should definitely be of priority. With extra time, I would even go through Destroyer a second time, and if you have the extra money, invest in DAT Bootcamp and take a Full Length test a day. (Kaplan reading is generally on the vaguer side, in my opinion, and is best as a supplement early on in studying --I would only advise using their resources at this point if you had access to the full length exams.) Best of luck!

Here's what I would do:
1. Lots of practice tests. They let you know where you stand and where you need improvement. (DAT bootcamp is pretty good, except don't worry about the DAT bootcamp math, it's way too hard)
2. Read over your notes a lot. If you did chad's videos, the notes that come along with the gen chem, and o chem are pretty comprehensive.
3. Don't read over kaplan orgo or chem (I got a 24 science score, and I haven't read those sections till this day).
4. Take the 2007 free sample DAT. (It will boost your ego, but remember, the real test is going to be a little bit harder)
5. Make sure you get decent sleep the night before the DAT (I was having nightmares that night, and I had a really hard time getting to sleep, haha)
6. Don't worry if you miss a lot of the DAT destroyer questions (I got a little more than half right on the bio section, but ended up getting 25 on the real test).
7. Don't stress if you don't know every little detail. Just try to learn the basics and master them. That's mostly what the DAT tests on
8. Two or one day before the test: Read over all your biology notes (that's what I did, and scored a 25 on the Biology part) - just because the biology is so easy to forget.

And during test day: Don't get flustered. If you get a hard reading passage on the reading section, skip all the questions and go to the next reading section. It may be easier. If you are having a hard time figuring out a gen chem question, skip it and move on. If you are on quantitative reasoning: skip the hard questions and come back to them when you have time at the end. Just fill in an answer, mark it, and go back to it if you have time. You can really make up a lot of points on the DAT by just managing your time well.

Good luck :)

Oh and also, if you aren't doing as great on the practice tests as you would like, don't worry. I wasn't. Then I took the real thing and ended up getting a 23 AA. You may surprise yourself (for better or worse, so make sure you study hard).

Reactions: 5 users
Here's what I would do:
1. Lots of practice tests. They let you know where you stand and where you need improvement. (DAT bootcamp is pretty good, except don't worry about the DAT bootcamp math, it's way too hard)
2. Read over your notes a lot. If you did chad's videos, the notes that come along with the gen chem, and o chem are pretty comprehensive.
3. Don't read over kaplan orgo or chem (I got a 24 science score, and I haven't read those sections till this day).
4. Take the 2007 free sample DAT. (It will boost your ego, but remember, the real test is going to be a little bit harder)
5. Make sure you get decent sleep the night before the DAT (I was having nightmares that night, and I had a really hard time getting to sleep, haha)
6. Don't worry if you miss a lot of the DAT destroyer questions (I got a little more than half right on the bio section, but ended up getting 25 on the real test).
7. Don't stress if you don't know every little detail. Just try to learn the basics and master them. That's mostly what the DAT tests on
8. Two or one day before the test: Read over all your biology notes (that's what I did, and scored a 25 on the Biology part) - just because the biology is so easy to forget.

And during test day: Don't get flustered. If you get a hard reading passage on the reading section, skip all the questions and go to the next reading section. It may be easier. If you are having a hard time figuring out a gen chem question, skip it and move on. If you are on quantitative reasoning: skip the hard questions and come back to them when you have time at the end. Just fill in an answer, mark it, and go back to it if you have time. You can really make up a lot of points on the DAT by just managing your time well.

Good luck :)

Oh and also, if you aren't doing as great on the practice tests as you would like, don't worry. I wasn't. Then I took the real thing and ended up getting a 23 AA. You may surprise yourself (for better or worse, so make sure you study hard).

Exactly the advice I would give, and I got the same score as this guy lol. Listen to him. I'd also like to reiterate that Kaplan sucks. Don't touch that book/program. I got a 17 on one of their practice tests. Their materials are outdated and very off-base.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't waste time reading Kaplan! Do destroyer ochem and gchem! Great preparation for the real thing- the questions are a little harder than the real exam but that's better bc you'll be under pressure. Good luck!!

know everything for bio. ALL of the phyla and characteristics, there were some questions on my exam today that I only briefly went over the night prior (thank god) and they were the most subtle details.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, Bootcamp- especially for GC- is amazing. I got a 30 with it for that section... I fully endorse it!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm failing bootcamp guys...
2nd half-test:
16 Bio
18 GC
16 Orgo
20 PAT

Am I ready for the DAT in 5 days? I'm aiming for at least a 20AA..

so should I take it and then retake it in November?

please stop posting on SDN to seek people's words on how you should retake or not because

1. they are not you, they don't know how you prepare/study and how confident you are.
2. BC scores, though some say are representative, are the lowest score I receive, I receive 20 19 across the board for them but I did much better on the real DAT.
3. it boils down to how confident you are/ how bad you want this. going in the test thinking to take it again is not good.

have you tried question vault test? give it a try, after all none of these private tests are completely representative of the real test, but by combining all of them, then they are.

you should ease your mind, study review, don't take full length because it will burn you out, and the worst thing you want to do going in the DAT is experience fight or flight mode before the test.

no one is confident going in the test but you will be surprised by your score instead of scoring 24 25 on easy tests like kaplan and end up getting 20 21.

dont worry, a 20 21 on sub sections are not that hard to attain as long as you have focus, think, and check the answer

please stop posting on SDN to seek people's words on how you should retake or not because

1. they are not you, they don't know how you prepare/study and how confident you are.
2. BC scores, though some say are representative, are the lowest score I receive, I receive 20 19 across the board for them but I did much better on the real DAT.
3. it boils down to how confident you are/ how bad you want this. going in the test thinking to take it again is not good.

Cool it man, there's nothing wrong with asking for advice from others.

I already paid more than $400....
The time limit is ending the day after...
It only costs like 60 to postpone it or something. But unless you're already postponed it to the max, then you may not be able to do it more. In that case I would just study way hard now (like all day) then take it when it is scheduled. Unless if you're really not confident you could just not show up to the test, then it won't count against you.

@Hammer Time you do notice that the "advice" you have been saying is all over the place, postpone it, just take it, school average it out.

this does not help the OP but only confuses the OP more, puts him/her in more panic attack mode, and more anxiety and stress.

before telling someone to cool it, you should learn how to stop saying rampant things on the forum.

If you plan on taking it in 5 days, I would get datqvault bio section and take 2 exams a day one in the morning and the afternoon. I did that the week before my exam and it helped me out a lot. Their bio section is great with good questions that will touch each section covered on the exam. Even if you decide to postpone it I would get the bio section for it. I am not sure about the other sections cause I purchased the bio one pretty late but from reading other forums I have heard most of the other sections are solid too.

@Hammer Time you do notice that the "advice" you have been saying is all over the place, postpone it, just take it, school average it out.

this does not help the OP but only confuses the OP more, puts him/her in more panic attack mode, and more anxiety and stress.

before telling someone to cool it, you should learn how to stop saying rampant things on the forum.
You're a bitter person.

Are you applying this cycle? If so, you should take it now.

I was in your position in June and what I did was,
1. Practice PAT like crazy lady
2. Go through all notes
3. Make sure I understood all concepts and knew how to do MATH destroyer questions right when I looked at them
4. 2007 practice test
5. Review and go over things missed on 2007 practice test.

Reactions: 1 users
ahh you guysss!!! 2 days
I scored a 21 on the bio on the 2009 DAT practice exam, which is great... but I want to do better lol. Missed a few for stupid reasons!

I didn't look at the other sections... I figured bootcamp/dat destroyer would be better practice for the next 2 days. Should I look at the rest of the test? I heard they're not quite representative/easier.

I'm going to do one more PAT practice the day before because I feel as though it's my best section. (Scored 22 on bootcamp).

-Golfah

Last edited:
ahh you guysss!!! 2 days left....
My friend e-mailed me the 2009 pdf already :p ;) thanks for offering!
I scored a 21 on the bio on the 2009 DAT practice exam, which is great... but I want to do better lol. Missed a few for stupid reasons!

I didn't look at the other sections... I figured bootcamp/dat destroyer would be better practice for the next 2 days. Should I look at the rest of the test? I heard they're not quite representative/easier.

I'm going to do one more PAT practice the day before because I feel as though it's my best section. (Scored 22 on bootcamp).

-Golfah
Good work! I would definitely do the rest of the 2009 exam. It will be the most representative. However, just don't be too worried if you don't do that great on the math. That was much harder than the DAT I took a month ago. Other than that, it was pretty similar.

Just took it. 20AA 22PAT lol just as I predicted!
Thanks to all y'all!! :D:love::love::love:

Reactions: 3 users
Just took it. 20AA 22PAT lol just as I predicted!
Thanks to all y'all!! :D:love::love::love:
Nice work! I'm glad you went ahead and took it. Like I was saying, you may not be getting the best scores on the practice test, but you can still do good on the real thing! Same thing was happening to me, and I was freaking out before the test and feeling like I wasn't ready haha.

Doesn't it feel nice to be done? :)

Nice work! I'm glad you went ahead and took it. Like I was saying, you may not be getting the best scores on the practice test, but you can still do good on the real thing! Same thing was happening to me, and I was freaking out before the test and feeling like I wasn't ready haha.

Doesn't it feel nice to be done? :)
YESSSS!!!