DAT in Aug/apply for the '09 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cariesRbad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the DAT for the first time the third week of August. When should I submit my aadas application for the '09 cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I am taking the DAT for the first time the third week of August. When should I submit my aadas application for the '09 cycle?

Submit your AADSAS as SOON as possible. The application allows you to add DAT scores even after you have submitted. At the very least, you can add coursework (and send your official transcripts) so that AADSAS can verify your grades - this is a process that can take up to 8 weeks (especially when more people start to get their apps in), so it'd be to your advantage to get the AADSAS out of the way before you take the DAT.

Other people will have to confirm this, but I believe that if the rest of your application is complete and it is a strong overall application, schools might be willing to give it a preliminary review and hold their final decision until they have received your DAT scores.

Good luck!

when you say - at the very least you can add coursework and send your official transcripts?

are you saying this is all you have to do to send in the application to get it processed?

On an FAQ on the website it says this:
Q: I have submitted my application, but want to re-edit some of the information. What do I do?

A: Most sections of the AADSAS application cannot be updated after submitting to AADSAS. Those sections that can be revised are: Biographic Information, DAT Scores, and Evaluators. Sections that cannot be updated after submission are: Parent and Family Information; Secondary School Information; Colleges Attended; Coursework (unless instructed to do so by a Transcript Verification Department staff member); Awards, Honors, Scholarships, Dentistry Experience; Extracurricular, Volunteer, Community Service, Leadership Activities; Work Experience; Research Experience; Background Information; Personal Statement; Release Statements.

Starting in mid-December 2008, a window of time (Academic Update) will be available for you to update any coursework and grade information in the Courses Planned/In Progress section. An email will be sent to you 30 days prior to the opening of this window and will provide specific information about this process.

I wish it were possible to submit the coursework and transcripts (for the sake of getting it processed) and then go back and submit the personal statement and dentistry/research experience.

any suggestions? does this FAQ sound correct?

when you say - at the very least you can add coursework and send your official transcripts?

are you saying this is all you have to do to send in the application to get it processed?

On an FAQ on the website it says this:
Q: I have submitted my application, but want to re-edit some of the information. What do I do?

A: Most sections of the AADSAS application cannot be updated after submitting to AADSAS. Those sections that can be revised are: Biographic Information, DAT Scores, and Evaluators. Sections that cannot be updated after submission are: Parent and Family Information; Secondary School Information; Colleges Attended; Coursework (unless instructed to do so by a Transcript Verification Department staff member); Awards, Honors, Scholarships, Dentistry Experience; Extracurricular, Volunteer, Community Service, Leadership Activities; Work Experience; Research Experience; Background Information; Personal Statement; Release Statements.

Starting in mid-December 2008, a window of time (Academic Update) will be available for you to update any coursework and grade information in the Courses Planned/In Progress section. An email will be sent to you 30 days prior to the opening of this window and will provide specific information about this process.

I wish it were possible to submit the coursework and transcripts (for the sake of getting it processed) and then go back and submit the personal statement and dentistry/research experience.

any suggestions? does this FAQ sound correct?

Didn't realize that you don't have your personal statement ready to go; why wouldn't your dentistry/research experience be ready to go (unless you don't have any yet?)

Apologies... I thought you had everything ready to go EXCEPT your DAT scores. You may need to put your studying on hold and work on your AADSAS app since the processing time is just going to exponentially increase the longer you wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same dilemna, i think i will be retaking my DAT in August. I have my whole AADSAS ready i just didnt do as well on DAT as i would like to of. Here are a couple questions i would like to know as well.

If you submit your AADSAS, does it take awhile to update your new DAT scores?
Will the schools have both your old and new DAT scores or will they only see your August DAT scores?

Thanks for your help